What U2 songs do you think have aged badly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember reading a quote Edge made about why 'The Fly' wasn't included globally on The Best of 1990-2000 CD. Apparantly the band didn't think it stood the test of time.
:eyebrow:

I think Discotheque and When Love Comes To Town have aged without grace.

U2Kitten said:
Not only has UF aged well, it's managed to be reincarnated as Coldplay's "Clocks"

If that's new radio play so is UF! It's an obvious ripoff but not as good.

I'm sorry, but I don't see the UF/Clocks connection. Though "Clocks" seems U2ish, I wouldn't say it in any way reminds me of UF. By the way, I think "Clocks" is 10x the song that UF is.

sallycinnamon78 said:

That's something I have never really understood, the U2/Coldplay comparison. As a fan of both bands, I just can't hear it at all - certainly in terms of vocals, they sound nothing alike to me whatsoever! It's a mystery to me.:confused:

I'm a huge Coldplay fan also and I just don't see the comparison between Bono and Chris Martin in terms of vocals--except for the fact that both Bono and Martin both like to use a falsetto. Bono uses much more of a range and has much more power IMO, while Martin sounds a bit more fragile and clear than Bono.

Musically, I do agree with those that say Coldplay has been influenced by U2, but I don't think that's a big deal. It's like saying just because Hendrix went wild with his guitar that everyone since has been a copycat, which is completely stupid.

UF live or studio is freakin amazing and will always be freakin amazing to me. If anything I'm a little sick of hearing I Will Follow and Out of Control but that's cause I've been hearing them for almost 20 years now. On another note I'm sick of hearing about Coldplay on this board and their connection with U2. If anything Coldplay is a cheesy band playing U2ish songs :madspit:

Achtung Joshua! said:
If anything Coldplay is a cheesy band playing U2ish songs :madspit:

By that logic, wouldn't U2 be the "king of cheesy bands"I mean, they are much more U2ish than Coldplay... ? :madspit:

U2 will always be my favorite band, but Coldplay is #2. I think a lot of fans on both sides feel threatened by the other band for some reason. I see the same thing on the Coldplay boards about how aweful U2 is, and on U2 boards I see how aweful Coldplay is.:huh:

Last edited:
ImOuttaControl said:

By that logic, wouldn't U2 be the "king of cheesy bands"I mean, they are much more U2ish than Coldplay... ? :madspit:

U2 will always be my favorite band, but Coldplay is #2. I think a lot of fans on both sides feel threatened by the other band for some reason. I see the same thing on the Coldplay boards about how aweful U2 is, and on U2 boards I see how aweful Coldplay is.:huh:

U2 wouldn't be the "king of cheesy bands" because they're the originals. Coldplay is "cheesy" because they're the pretenders IMO. But maybe if I was younger I might think otherwise seeing as I've hated the current music scene for years now :madspit:

Until I discovered U2, Coldplay was my favorite band. Now it's #2. It's not exactly the same people.

"Tomorrow" -- the original '81 version, not the Bono/Adam acoustic one.

When the band clatters in halfway through, and Bono goes off into another one of his religious epiphanies as the song fades out... I'm sorry, I'm a Christian, but hearing him yelp, "Jesus is coming," just kinda makes me cringe.

Mofo in a few more years will sound very 90's chemical brothers if you know what I mean and I LOVE that song.

Again, Mofo rocks but its just not gonna be able to fit in anywhere on a setlist, it would disturb everything. Maybe if they re-arranged it but then it would lose that killer Chemical Brothers-like bass.
Its just of its own time.
Shame really.
Its a stompin tune.
I was always shocked when I played it for people that they didn't go nuts for it. On top of that-four guys from Ireland made that??!!!!!
Turn down the volume to Rattle and Hum dvd and play Mofo.
Crazy huh?

ImOuttaControl said:

I'm a huge Coldplay fan also and I just don't see the comparison between Bono and Chris Martin in terms of vocals--except for the fact that both Bono and Martin both like to use a falsetto. Bono uses much more of a range and has much more power IMO, while Martin sounds a bit more fragile and clear than Bono.

Musically, I do agree with those that say Coldplay has been influenced by U2, but I don't think that's a big deal. It's like saying just because Hendrix went wild with his guitar that everyone since has been a copycat, which is completely stupid.

I never said or thought there was any VOCAL comparison, Bono's voice is awesome and Martin's is whiney and sounds like an old woman with hemorrhoid problems. I cannot stand it. His voice is only comparable in whiney nauseousness to Dave Matthews (and a few country stars) I have heard Martin's attempt at Bono-esque falsettos and they are at best painful.

It was the musical style I was talking about, especially the tingly sounds in Clocks. The first few times I heard that on the radio I thought it WAS UF. There is another song, I can't think of the name because I'm not a fan, but it sounds almost exactly like something that belongs on ATYCLB. All I'm saying is, UF can't be outdated since Clocks is a ripoff of it and it's a new song that did well.

i think that certain album cuts don't realy age or not age well, thier kinda just thier, or they get judged on a diffrent scale. I think could see a hit like UF not aging welll, due to the 80's synths and a bit un u2-ish compared to others. But on the other hand, it stands out and when you discover it, along with other songs, it sounds cool cause it's different.

U2Kitten said:

It was the musical style I was talking about, especially the tingly sounds in Clocks. The first few times I heard that on the radio I thought it WAS UF. There is another song, I can't think of the name because I'm not a fan, but it sounds almost exactly like something that belongs on ATYCLB. All I'm saying is, UF can't be outdated since Clocks is a ripoff of it and it's a new song that did well.

Sorry to break it to you, but Clocks is a completely chord progression (D Am Em) as compared to UF, which is simply Dm and Bm. Just because both start with a paino intro doesn't make "Clocks" a ripoff. That'd be like saying every song with a slide guitar is a George Harrison ripoff, which is absurd.

If you'd read WHY I stated that I thought UF was outdated then things would make more sense. UF-- Un-needed cheesy strings and synths-- without them the song would be timeless. With them, it is stuck in the 80's. Clocks on the other hand doesn't have synths coming over the drumbeat, which is why it will stand the test of time much better IMO.

Who doesn't like synths? I love synths, I love them coming all over the drumbeat. I just love synths!!

UF has not aged badly in my opinion, but like Beli and U2Kitten I've been there since it was released.

ImOuttaControl said:
If you'd read WHY I stated that I thought UF was outdated then things would make more sense. UF-- Un-needed cheesy strings and synths-- without them the song would be timeless. With them, it is stuck in the 80's. Clocks on the other hand doesn't have synths coming over the drumbeat, which is why it will stand the test of time much better IMO.

Those "cheesy strings" are Steve Wyckham on electric violin actually!! And what's wrong with the '80's anyway??

I thing songs like Sunday Bloody Sunday and Pride have dated badly but not Unforgettable Fire!

Back
Top Bottom