What really bugs you about any U2 albums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soctheo

The Fly
i was listening to u2 over the weekend and i discovered that with every album, i have a major pet peeve. In the case of ATYCLB, something bothers me about that album that prevents me from fully enjoying it.

Does anyone feel that after Wild Honey, the album takes a downward direction quick. Grace and Peace on Earth are okay at best.
the last half of the album though is too slow.

I WOULD HAVE LOVED IT IF U2 INCLUDED Ground beneath her feet on all versions of the album INSTEAD OF JUST IN THE UK. i think the song fits well if this was the song order.

1)BD
2)Stuck
3)elevation
4)walk on
5)kite
6)in a little while
7)peace on earth
8)new york
9)wild honey
10)ground beneath her feet
11)when i look at the world
12)grace

Zooropa would have also been better if slow dancing was included and rattle and hum would be ranked high up there with the joshua tree if all the live tracks were removed in favor of some of the bsides (Halleluyah hear she comes, etc...)

what do you guys think

I think that ATYCLB does take a dipa t the end and gets slower and kind of makes the album drag a bit, but I think New York picks it up one last time at the end which is good. I am glad they didn't put TGBHF on it because it doesn't belong, even though TGBHF is one of my favorite U2 songs.

Rattle and Hum has always annoyed me because it was a mixture of live and studio tracks which was too jumpy. So i solved the problem by burning 2 CDs, one for the live tracks on the album and the ones from the movie, then studio tracks and b-sides. It sounds so much better.

The only other things about U2 albums that kind of annoys me are:
1)The Single mixes of the songs from POP are better than the album versions, especially Please.
2)The Wanderer is sung by Johnny Cash (Zooropa is my favorite album, but I wish the Bono version was ont he album)

------------------
"I swore to my father I'd never do hamster-style again."

"looking for the sound thats gonna drown out the world
looking for the father of my two little girls
got the swing go the sway got my straw in lemonade
looking for the face i had before the world was made." - MOFO

Originally posted by soctheo:

Does anyone feel that after Wild Honey, the album takes a downward direction quick. Grace and Peace on Earth are okay at best.
the last half of the album though is too slow.

I agree - though I think it's just because I've listened to it too much!

It does get really bland towards the end - so I jusy play it every night because it helps me get to sleep!
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Zoomeranger:
I'm never quite satisfied with the mixes of the songs. Would like guitar and bass to be much louder!

YES! Exactly! More drums too...

------------------
And I felt like a star...

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
too much bass, too many words, not enough drums
Originally posted by Dorian Gray:
YES! Exactly! More drums too...
so, what you're saying basically is that Bono should just get lost

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Yeah, my main probelm with ATYCLB is how many slow songs in a row are on it. Somewhere around In A Little While or Wild Honey there needed to be another faster paced song like Beautiful Day and Elevation. I remember the first time listening to it I like the first few songs, and as got further and further into the album I was surprised, thinking "What? Another slow song?" and then I kept on thinking, ok the next one must be afst song, and then it wasn't, until New York at the end of the album. I love the album now, but I still say there are too many slow songs in a row on there.

Don't you people have a shuffle or random button on your CD player?

------------------
"You see things and say 'Why?'; but I dream things that never were and I say 'Why not?'" -- George Bernard Shaw

Originally posted by Badyouken:
Don't you people have a shuffle or random button on your CD player?

Yes, so what's your point?
tongue.gif

------------------
But you take what you can get
'Cause it's all that you can find
Oh, you know there's something more
But tonight, tonight, tonight

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Have you ALL forgotten the most annoying aspect of the Joshua Tree CD?

The end of One Tree Hill is actually at the beginning of Exit. Listening to the entire album straight through isn't a problem -- nor is making MP3s if you know how to manipulate when to start and stop recording.

But it's almost impossible to enjoy the Joshua Tree CD randomized. You're enjoying "One Tree Hill" and it cuts off prematurely. Twenty minutes later, you hear the very end of the song, followed by exit.

The CD has been around for nearly FIFTEEN years, and they couldn't issue a corrected CD? (And we're not counting the expensive Gold CD.)

Oy.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

What did you find, dad?
Me? Illumination.

[This message has been edited by Achtung Bubba (edited 11-05-2001).]

Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:
The end of One Tree Hill is actually at the beginning of Exit.

The CD has been around for nearly FIFTEEN years, and they couldn't issue a corrected CD? (And we're not counting the expensive Gold CD.)

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there some corrected CD's out there now? I could've sworn I've seen someone post about this problem before, and someone said that their CD did in fact have the correct track change from One Tree Hill to Exit. Maybe it was on the recent reissue, which has a clear photo of the band on the cover, instead of the blurry one.

------------------
Change is the only constant

the perfect album would have been to substitute Peace On Earth for Summer Rain, or a more hardrocking version of it with, as mentioned before, more bass and drums. POE would fit more as a seperate release, in a soundtrack or something.

you know, music is one of two things: melodies and rythm. ATYCLB has all the great melodies to be a classic. it just needed more rythm, a little more beat. but what the hell, Larry and Adam will pick up the pace in the next album, I'm sure.

I agree ATYCLB is rather ponderous in parts. Would have KILLED to have them replace Wild Honey with Summer Rain, which is a GREAT song (don't know why they didn't add that one on it). I don't think WH even fits on the album at all. Hope their next album goes back to rocking out big time.

One thing that really frustrates the heck outta me about the Joshua Tree, is that for some reason it was mixed VERY low, and very muffled sounding, where the instrumentation is much lounder than the vocals. I've now listened to 3-4 CDs, tapes, etc. and they are all the same....if I try to turn the volume up, I might get very loud guitar and drums, but still can't hear Bono much. This i esp. true on "Mothers..." I love the album, but sound-wise it kinda sucks.
tongue.gif

I'm with Edge...REMIX THAT PUPPY!!

[This message has been edited by Discoteque (edited 11-05-2001).]

OOPS! I must have hot the "post" button prematurely. I only had 3 words type.
Nope, the cat did it. LOL!
See below...

[This message has been edited by MysteryGirl (edited 11-05-2001).]

No, no, no!! No replacing "Wild Honey"!! That's one of my favorites! "Grace" and a couple others are kinda draggy, though... Oh well, they can't please everyone!

BTW, how can I get my hands on a copy of "Wanderer" with Bono singing? I didn't know it existed.

Thanx!

------------------
"You're dangerous...'cause you're honest"

[This message has been edited by MysteryGirl (edited 11-05-2001).]

Good Lord. I'm really, really glad they didn't replace Wild Honey with Summer Rain. Then that would be a big thing that bugged me about any U2 albums (sorry, I just don't care for Summer Rain at all).

And no offense to Trip (you're beautiful and cool and all...), but I don't care for Trip Through Your Wires on JT. I think Luminous Times, Walk To The Water or even Sweetest Thing would've been a better pick for the album. TTYW just strikes me as hokey and U2 trying to copy the blues, rather than incorporate the blues into their own style.

Damn I sound negative...
smile.gif
. But other than those 2 I don't have too many gripes with U2 albums.

My main gripe with the U2 albums is, so many of their songs sound so much better live that it often kills my enjoyment of the original versions. I always skip songs like "Bullet", "SBS" and especially "Until The End...", because the album versions sound sooo flat in comparison to the live performances.

And yeah, that thing with a bit of "One Tree Hill" stuck at the beginning of "Exit" is VERY annoying.

Originally posted by Zoomeranger:
I'm never quite satisfied with the mixes of the songs. Would like guitar and bass to be much louder!

I agree.

Also, the small snare that Larry used during the AB/ZOO/POP era kind of grinds on me.

------------------
Sometimes the most powerful thing you can do for someone is to just tell them to fuck off. I am told to fuck off rather a lot by these three gentlemen.

ACHTUNG ZOOROPA: I like your idea of making an "all studio" version of Rattle & Hum. I was wondering if you could enlighten me on a good tracklisting of this special arrangement.

Thanks

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

Back
Top Bottom