What if... Best Of 00-10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepokiss

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
what if in the year 2011, after a 2007 album (an MAYBE with hope a 2010 album too)... they release a 4th Best Of, the much anticipated Best Of 2000-2010...

what would you think about that?

Last edited:
:sigh:

I think all die-hard fans should just ignore Best Of releases, unless there's new material on it.
Best Ofs are meant to introduce new fans to the music. That's the only reason I ever bothered to buy them.

They already screwed up any type of 00s Best of by foolishly putting Beautiful Day and SIAMYCGOO on the 90s Best Of. Why did they do that while leaving off songs that belonged on there like The Fly, Please, IGWSHA, WGRYWH, Lemon...?

Stupid.

i'd rather have that than the forth coming best of.

and as much as i hate the idea of this definitive selection - i can't see the point at all - i would still like the 2000's best of to come out as i like the idea of the decade pattern in the best of's.

and i do think it would be ridiculous to release another best of in 5 years time, i'd still like to see it and i hope the definitive collection isn't at the sacrifice of a best of 2000-2010 - thats one of the reasons i'm completely against this definitive, i think its ruining any plans for and diluting any relevance a best of this decade would have. it really would look stupid if they released another one in 5 years time

of course, they need to release another album or 2 before then anyway to make it worth while otherwise it'll just be the best of Atomic Bomb

wow, thats a rambled reply... meh, i can't think straight

PlaTheGreat said:
:sigh:

I think all die-hard fans should just ignore Best Of releases, unless there's new material on it.
Best Ofs are meant to introduce new fans to the music. That's the only reason I ever bothered to buy them.
Because die-hard fans don't want new mixes of older songs, or a bonus disc of 80s rarities, right pla? :wink:

:heart:

I wouldn't know, I stole my mom's U2 Best Ofs... :lol:
I said buy so I wouldn't look so seedy. :shifty:

If it did have new mixes, I'd consider buying it. But the target audience for this release is the new fan, familiar with just a few songs. OR, Green Day fans that might crossover into being U2 fans. And the majority of Green Day fans are kids these days so it's all win-win to rope those kids in early.

digsy said:
i'd rather have that than the forth coming best of.

and as much as i hate the idea of this definitive selection - i can't see the point at all - i would still like the 2000's best of to come out as i like the idea of the decade pattern in the best of's.

and i do think it would be ridiculous to release another best of in 5 years time, i'd still like to see it and i hope the definitive collection isn't at the sacrifice of a best of 2000-2010 - thats one of the reasons i'm completely against this definitive, i think its ruining any plans for and diluting any relevance a best of this decade would have. it really would look stupid if they released another one in 5 years time

of course, they need to release another album or 2 before then anyway to make it worth while otherwise it'll just be the best of Atomic Bomb

wow, thats a rambled reply... meh, i can't think straight

I don't think this one kills the chances of a 2000-2010. Remember that the original contract called for two decade Best Ofs & a general one. If they decide to contract out for more Best Ofs, then I think a 2000-2010 could still happen. And this current one won't peter out any strength of a 2000-2010 album----since it's only going to be 16 songs over 26 years, they're probably only going to have 2-4 songs from ATYCLB and HTDAAB. A 2000-2010 album could probably have 4-5 from each album, plus that many from the one or two more albums to come in this decade.

Utoo said:

I don't think this one kills the chances of a 2000-2010. Remember that the original contract called for two decade Best Ofs & a general one. If they decide to contract out for more Best Ofs, then I think a 2000-2010 could still happen. And this current one won't peter out any strength of a 2000-2010 album----since it's only going to be 16 songs over 26 years, they're probably only going to have 2-4 songs from ATYCLB and HTDAAB. A 2000-2010 album could probably have 4-5 from each album, plus that many from the one or two more albums to come in this decade.

but thats half the problem i guess.
2000-2010 will come out and it'll look ridiculous that they're releasing their 3rd best of in less than a decade and their 4th overall.
its not that i don't want 2000-2010 to come out because i really do i just think this definitive collection is going to take away from the impact of it and almost make it look silly... "gee look everyone, ANOTHER best of from u2"

i do really want a 2000-2010 best of - i love the whole decade collections and style of them - i just think the definitive collection is going to be detrimental to its worth which is one of the reasons i'm not so happy about it, i think its damaging.

digsy said:

but thats half the problem i guess.
2000-2010 will come out and it'll look ridiculous that they're releasing their 3rd best of in less than a decade and their 4th overall.
its not that i don't want 2000-2010 to come out because i really do i just think this definitive collection is going to take away from the impact of it and almost make it look silly... "gee look everyone, ANOTHER best of from u2"

I agree---if it were to be released in 2011 or so. That would be too close to this one & would leave people feeling as you described. It could, however, come out later. The 1980-1990 came out 10 years after its timeperiod ended.

yeah, i was actually very surprised when the best of 90's came out so soon after the first best of.
in theory it should really have been released about now with a best of 2000-2010 coming out mid 2010's

digsy said:
yeah, i was actually very surprised when the best of 90's came out so soon after the first best of.
in theory it should really have been released about now with a best of 2000-2010 coming out mid 2010's

Definitely. Maybe they put out the two original Best Ofs so close together in order to make their going away present to Island have more impact--most of it at once, instead of being spread out over a few decades. I dunno. With the band being so huge right now, this one will be a nice chunk of change heading over Island's way.

Well, the next collection will be a box set that LucasArts will digitally alter, removing mullets, pot bellies, and Hamish Hamilton. Then, they'll re-release everything au natural.

Hoodlem said:
They already screwed up any type of 00s Best of by foolishly putting Beautiful Day and SIAMYCGOO on the 90s Best Of. Why did they do that while leaving off songs that belonged on there like The Fly, Please, IGWSHA, WGRYWH, Lemon...?

Stupid.

Fully agree.....

No one has said anything as 110% sensible as that on this forum...

They messed up the 90's best of cause of this same reason...

The greatest thing about digital audio is the ability to rewrite history. Here's "The Best Of 2000-2010" as it currently exists on my iPod. A work in progress, of course.

Singles

1. Beautiful Day
2. SIAM
3. Elevation (Tomb Raider)
4. Walk On
5. Electrical Storm (William Orbit Mix)
6. Vertigo
7. SYCMIOYO (Single Version)
8. COBL (Single Version)
9. Sgt. Pepper's (Live 8)
10. ABOY (Single Version)
11. OOTS (Single Version)
12. One (with MJB) [Hate on it if you must.]
13. The Saints Are Coming (Studio)

B-Sides

1. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
2. Stateless
3. Summer Rain
4. Always
5. Big Girls Are Best
6. Don't Take Your Guns To Town
7. The Hands That Built America (Soundtrack Version)
8. Beat On The Brat
9. That's Life (was supposed to be THTBA b-side)
10. Are You Gonna Wait Forever
11. Neon Lights
12. Fast Cars
13. Ave Maria (Jacknife Lee Mix)
14. Tower Of Song

The other new song will go onto one list or the other, depending on whether it's released as a single or not.

I have a completly different tracklisting for Best Of 90-00 as well.

I have also devised alternative tracklists for the Best Ofs:

The Best of 1980-1990

1.) 11 O’Clock Tick Tock (live)
2.) I Will Follow
3.) Out Of Control
4.) Gloria
5.) Sunday Bloody Sunday
6.) New Year’s Day
7.) Pride (In The Name Of Love)
8.) The Unforgettable Fire
9.) Bad
10.) Where The Streets Have No Name
11.) I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Not Looking For
12.) With Or Without You
13.) Sweetest Thing (re-recorded)
14.) Desire
15.) Angel Of Harlem
16.) All I Want Is You

The Best of 1990-2000

1.) Where Did It All Go Wrong (re-recorded!)
2.) The Fly
3.) Even Better Than The Real Thing
4.) Mysterious Ways
5.) One
6.) Until The End Of The World
7.) Numb
8.) Lemon
9.) Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
10.) Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
11.) Miss Sarajevo
12.) Discotheque
13.) Mofo
14.) Staring At The Sun
15.) Please
16.) The Ground Beneath Her Feet

And, in progress ...

The Best of 2000-2010

1.) Beautiful Day
2.) Elevation (Tomb Raider Mix)
3.) Stuck In A Moment You Can’t Get Out Of
4.) Walk On (Single Mix)
5.) Electrical Storm
6.) The Hands That Built America
7.) City Of Blinding Lights
8.) Vertigo
9.) Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own
10.) Original Of The Species
11.) One (with Mary J. Blige)
12.) The Saints Are Coming (with Green Day)

How the Best Of's should have been (songs, not the order)

1980s:

I Will Follow
Out Of Control
Gloria
October
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
Two Hearts Beat As One
Pride
Bad
The Unforgettable Fire
Where The Streets Have No Name