What got lost in U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hmm... well i havent been listening to an awful lot of U2 in recent times.

but it appears that listening to ATYCLB U2 are seriously sounding their age rather than being brash, young, daring and creative selves that we adored in the previous 2 decades before "Pop"

for one when you listen to all the music that is out there that certain Smiths , Echo and the Bunnymen and Joy Division post punk guitar oriented sound, the one we heard so much before The Unforgettable Fire period

for one its kind of sad, but U2 have sort of bowed to commercial pressure and are more driven by Bono's political influences

anyway the new messageboard rocks :sexywink:

What U2 did with ATYCLB is what they felt was the right direction for them.

I personally love it.

Yeah, I love it too. It rocks! I don't think we can expect then to be as "daring" as they've been in the past, which is okay with me. They're getting older...As long as they continue to stay true to themselves I'll be along for the ride!

CrashedCarDriver said:
hmm... well i havent been listening to an awful lot of U2 in recent times.

but it appears that listening to ATYCLB U2 are seriously sounding their age rather than being brash, young, daring and creative selves that we adored in the previous 2 decades before "Pop"

for one when you listen to all the music that is out there that certain Smiths , Echo and the Bunnymen and Joy Division post punk guitar oriented sound, the one we heard so much before The Unforgettable Fire period

for one its kind of sad, but U2 have sort of bowed to commercial pressure and are more driven by Bono's political influences

anyway the new messageboard rocks :sexywink:

I agree

CrashedCarDriver said:
11 'o clock, tick, tock was alright
every song since that one sucked

I like ATYCLB - it beats 99 percent of everything else out there right now in popular music - but I don't like it nearly as much as War, The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum, Achtung Baby, or even Zooropa. I don't think it is because U2 "sold out" - I believe the music from ATYCLB came straight from their hearts. And I believe it was experimental in a way, because they had never released such a pop-type album before (it was a lot more pop-sounding then the one they called "Pop" - isn't that strange?) It's just a matter of personal taste. I prefer rock music (good rock music that is) to pop, no matter how beautifully done. That's the risk U2 takes when they go in a different direction with every album they make - not all their fans are going to be crazy about their latest effort. But that's what makes U2 so great - they just go ahead and do what their hearts tell them to do anyway. And since they are always changing direction, maybe the next studio album will be my new favorite - who knows? As far as I'm concerned, U2 hasn't lost anything.

I think with a band like U2, which has evolved SO much over the years, people are bound to have complaints...It's understandable, but I'm just thankful they are who they are and that they're still out there kicking ass today, more than 20 years after their conception.

Bono's shades said:
I like ATYCLB - it beats 99 percent of everything else out there right now in popular music -

I agree!!

I'm having a very hard time liking anything I hear on the radio (not unusual) and don't have the $$ to just buy anything to experiment or have the time to got out downloading samples.

Does anyone have any suggestions for some new music to try while I wait for any new U2 or the new Peter Gabriel??

drumkeeran said:

Does anyone have any suggestions for some new music to try while I wait for any new U2 or the new Peter Gabriel??

Elbow - Asleep in the Back :yes:

Pete Yorn - musicforthemorningafter

I hear The Doves are quite good.

Also The Strokes and Ryan Adams are high on my list. :)

drumkeeran said:

Travis "The Invisible Band"
I really love this album....beautiful music.

*Edited to include.....
"American Beauty" Greatful Dead....
The best "nice weather" album ever

Last edited:
Mirrorball Girl said:

Wilco's "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot"

:yes:

As far as recent music goes, it's been pretty dry. I enjoy Stereo and Mono by Paul Westerberg (of Replacements fame).

Stands for Decibels and Repercussions by the dB's were recently re-released on a single disc, and it's fantastic--the jangle-pop that soon led to R.E.M.

You may want to check out Elvis Costello's new one, When I was Cruel. But nothing will ever compare to This Year's Model, which has kind of spoiled me.

What else...lo-fi group the Mountain Goats' All Hail West Texas is quite nice...

If you're looking for older classics, the three albums I've been listening to the most in the past weeks:

Big Star - Radio City
Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady (EVERYONE should have this)
The Mekons - Rock 'n' Roll

Bono's shades said:
I like ATYCLB - it beats 99 percent of everything else out there right now in popular music - but I don't like it nearly as much as War, The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum, Achtung Baby, or even Zooropa. I don't think it is because U2 "sold out" - I believe the music from ATYCLB came straight from their hearts. And I believe it was experimental in a way, because they had never released such a pop-type album before (it was a lot more pop-sounding then the one they called "Pop" - isn't that strange?)

Bono said "pop" was a term of abuse. And Pop wasn't pop at all. It was a techno-influenced album that was (like it has been said a thousand times) a true "journey" album. Bono once said,"Pop starts out like a party, then turns nasty on you." It's also been discussed in many Pop threads that Wake Up Dead Man was completely opposite of Discotheque -- Discotheque was a dance song, and Wake Up Dead Man was like a death. I think they called it Pop because pop was a term that was bad, discouraged, and "pop" albums rarely were acclaimed by critics. Pop albums were remembered for their cornyness, their stupidity, and how so many teens loved them. I think they wanted to use the word again, in a good way, to show that pop isn't all fluff. ;)

I know I've gotten completely off-topic. :p And worse: I probably didn't make any sense! ;)

elevatedmole said:

Bono said "pop" was a term of abuse. And Pop wasn't pop at all. It was a techno-influenced album that was (like it has been said a thousand times) a true "journey" album. Bono once said,"Pop starts out like a party, then turns nasty on you." It's also been discussed in many Pop threads that Wake Up Dead Man was completely opposite of Discotheque -- Discotheque was a dance song, and Wake Up Dead Man was like a death. I think they called it Pop because pop was a term that was bad, discouraged, and "pop" albums rarely were acclaimed by critics. Pop albums were remembered for their cornyness, their stupidity, and how so many teens loved them. I think they wanted to use the word again, in a good way, to show that pop isn't all fluff. ;)

I know I've gotten completely off-topic. :p And worse: I probably didn't make any sense! ;)

No, you make sense to me! Yeah, I think they called it POP because the album SO wasn't a "pop" album, if that makes any sense...It's sort of like when they talk about AB as their most serious record (up to that point) with the least serious title.

wertsie said:

No, you make sense to me! Yeah, I think they called it POP because the album SO wasn't a "pop" album, if that makes any sense...It's sort of like when they talk about AB as their most serious record (up to that point) with the least serious title.

Yes...it's called "irony."

By the way, to add to my list of good recent music: Uncle Tupelo, the anthology. Excellent stuff.

I like the music that U2 puts out for ALL OF US fans because they are a whole lot better then some of the crap that we are all forced to hear nowdays.:madspit:

Im still a bit unhappy with ATYCLB bar from Walk On, Kite, Beautiful Day and Elevation........PoP was sensational hearing to me, it was like U2 enveloped themselves in Electronic power and for once actually ruled in their own era.......and I seriously tink it would not a been right if Bono hadnt cut his hair especially, plus edge goin all Cowgirl on us......:D

just kiddin Cowboy edge........

all that guitar humpin.......best thang U2 ever did.

:D

I LOVE ATYCLB!!

I think it was their best work since AB. It was what they were thinking and feeling at the time, and that's what I want them to do- not what's popular or what this or that fan wants, but what THEY want, what they REALLY want and nothing forced just for the sake of it. ATYCLB reached me on a personal level and I thank them for it.

As far as them not being 'brash and young' well, they are not. They are older now, and thinking and feeling things from a different perspective. I've heard people say that the rich, happy old man can't write the same song the angry young man once wrote. Look at McCartney, the Who, the Stones, even Robert Plant- it happens to all of them. You get older, you have money, you are satisfied with your life, you just don't feel like screaming and ranting anymore. The music may change but it's still good, in most cases. I think U2's latest stuff is much better than what the others I mentioned have put out in the last 10-15 years, but of course U2 are 15-20 years younger, so they may slow down even more! Whatever they give us in the future, I'm sure it will be great, as long as it's from the heart, like ATYCLB. I loved the symbolism of the heart on the tour for that reason.

Also don't forget that Bono is still angry in a way- angry about the problems in the world, particularly Africa. That is burning in him, and some very powerful songs might come from it. Let' s see.

*****New Band Alert*****

If you like the sound of Wilco and the Jayhawks, then you guys should check out "The Jukebox Junkies" they are a new indy band that are currently touring with Pete Yorn. You can buy and listen to their CD on their website.

http://jukeboxjunkies.com

Mona and I saw them in DC and they really rock out. I think I like them because they are so different. Some describe it as alt/country/pop, but Marc the lead singer describes it as "Pop with pedal steele"

Anyway, can you tell I love this band? LOL...check 'em out!

Fishy <><

It has been brought up before: but maybe they were finished with experimenting. Maybe they were tird with the unsuccessfulness of Pop and Zooropa.

ATYCLB is so stripped down, it's virtually about the music, and that's all. They seem to go back in time - it's very Joshua Tree. Maybe that's what U2 needed: to find it's roots before putting out something outrageous...I think they needed to step back and just get back to they one thing they loved - the music.

Maybe it's not so much the statement anymore, but the meaning behind and the love you put into it.

Back
Top Bottom