What first got you into U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheQuiet1

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Was it a particular song? An album? A live performance? The music? The lyrics? Their style? Their politics?

What first got you into U2 and what made them your favourite band (if they indeed are)?

When I heard Joshua Tree and fell in love with it :wink:

- Then I went out and bought ATYCLB and HTDAAB and fell in love with them even more :D

Walk On

they used to play it at carrow road (home of norwich city FC) about 10 minutes before a game.

I went to a U2 concert last November with my husband!
He has always been a fan and now they are definitely my
favorite band too!

My Dad.

I was about 5 or 6 years old and my Dad bought "Boy" and just played it over and over and over. All of those songs remind me of my childhood, especially "An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart", which was a particular favorite for Dad, and now for me.

It's funny, but the more popular they became, the less interested my Dad became. The last U2 album he played to death was "The Unforgettable Fire". God, I remember almost every day after school I'd come home and "A Sort of Homecoming", "4th of July" or "Promendade" would be wafting through the house. Dad bought "The Joshua Tree", but didn't really play it all that much, though I do remember "Bullet The Blue Sky" a lot -- probably had to do with the Jimi Hendrix influence.

I claimed U2 as my #1 with "Rattle & Hum" and became a fanatic, and have been one ever since. I've seen them 12 times and even took my Dad to one of the "Elevation" concerts. It was so great.

My Dad's love of U2 may have peaked with "The Unforgettable Fire" (though he does really like "Even Better Than The Real Thing", "Dirty Day" and "Beautiful Day"), but my love hasn't peaked yet, and that's an exciting thing.

First time I heard their music was NYD and SBS in my brother's room. A few years later, I heard JT (but was at first convinced only first three songs and Running to stand still are good).

If I had to pick a song, it was probably One that did it. It was my favourite on the album and I loved the video.

My Sister and MTV

She dragged me to see them on the War Tour..... wait a minute, am I dating myself or what here? :huh: I'll just say I was REALLY, REALLY young at the time and the concert just blew me away. I had to listen to Boy, October and War non-stop.

The song that did it was NYD and MTV used to show that video almost non-stop back in the day.

YBORCITYOBL said:
My Sister and MTV

She dragged me to see them on the War Tour..... wait a minute, am I dating myself or what here? :huh: I'll just say I was REALLY, REALLY young at the time and the concert just blew me away. I had to listen to Boy, October and War non-stop.

The song that did it was NYD and MTV used to show that video almost non-stop back in the day.

You're totally dating yourself...but take solace, alas I am older than even you!!

:lol:

Those were the days though, weren't they? :yes:

YBORCITYOBL said:
My Sister and MTV

She dragged me to see them on the War Tour..... wait a minute, am I dating myself or what here? :huh: I'll just say I was REALLY, REALLY young at the time

She stole you from your cot to take you to the concert, right? :wink:

:wave: Welcome to the forums Beckie7!

:reject: When I heard Vertigo the first time I thought they're pretty cool. Tho I really got into them when I listened to SYCMIOYO, the song was the reason I bought the album at all. I had never heard of U2 before :huh: But I loved "The Sweetest Thing" though I thought the song was from a boyband ^^'

With or without you on the radio, 1987.

Climbing slowly, but firmly , towards the top of the Billboard Hot 100.

In several weeks, I listened that unknown song by that unknown band, in the same radio program , until the song reached to number 1 (how to forget that penetrating but dreamy sound of Edge's guitar, while I was having a breakfast , in a sunny vacation day ?)

Colour me , greatly impressed, Some afternoon, I ran to record store to buy The Joshua Tree, and the rest is history.

Angel Of Harlem.

Then HMTMKMKM.

Then I Still Haven't Found...

Then Sweetest Thing.

Then With Or Without You.

et voila!

(this was all in the 90s, I have no fans in my family so it was through radio mostly or TV.)

Hell, I'll date myself, too. It's good to know I'm not the only one.

For me, it was the Gloria video on MTV. I was a senior in high school. I was hooked.

It's weird but the song that got me into them is HMTMKMKM back when it was first released. I asked my dad to help me pick out some cds of theirs. The first one I got was JT and I loved it.

:love: I was around 12/13, and we did not have MTV, I KNOW I KNOW but lived in a small town, that just had recieved cable. LOL. Well anywho, there I was staying up late to watch Night Tracks on TBS (was in USA), would literally stay up all night to watch videos. And there it was New Years Day with U2, and all that went thru my head was WHO IS THAT?????? And it has been a fascination since then. And the crush on Bono did not happen until JT, came out. I remember my mother threating to hide the tape because I played it so much.

I liked them in the 90s, but I was very young and wasn't really into music yet. And then I spent my teen years in a bit of a musical vacuum, and somehow missed out on the existance of ATYCLB and the Elevation tour completely.

What got me hooked? "Your love is teaching me how.... how to kneel!" That line, particularly. I saw the iPod ad, and was like "Hey! U2, I remember them!" so then I heard the whole song, and that line caught my attention. I'd been battling my own struggles with spirituality and faith, and I remembered hearing that U2 were Christians. I began investigating them and their music, and I liked everything I found.

Early winter (probably January) of 1984. I'd heard of them but was still in the infancy of my musical preferences... then New Year's Day came at me from my little FM boombox. I was a goner from that moment & I've never looked back. :love: :heart:

*sigh* it was a girl. I was in love with her in year 10, I knew she was going to see Zootv.. I spose I wanted something in common with her so I bought Zooropa...

Delving into the back catalogue, it was Acrobat and Streets that then had me hooked..

Haven't looked back since... Damn girls!! :wink:

goota add too that I quickly bought WAIA - cos it was cheap.. The grainy black and white, indistinguishable photos of the boys, and the lack of text or lyrics had me incredibly intrigued about this artsy band...
Its this mystery that I still love today (I wish they would be more myseterious again...)

Back
Top Bottom