***Week 59 - Week 59 - Week 59***

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

voxson

The Fly
UK charts:

ATYCLB drops 7 places to #61. It seems that around those chart positions the sales difference is small and albums keep going up and down there, some small amount of sales can give a few positions' boost.

Walk On drops to #68 in only its 4th week on the charts.

In the music videos, the tour DVD drops to #8 in its 3rd week.

Andy

I guess I could give a bit of chart news for Canada (I think the stats are one week behind though):

All That You Can't Leave Behind is at number 30 on the album chart(it was at 65 the previous week)!

On the cd-singles chart:
-Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of: 5
-Elevation (cd1): 9
-New Year's Dub (Musique vs U2): 35
-Elevation (cd2): number 47
-One: 65
-If God Will Send His Angels: 65
-The Fly: 94

But like doctorwho has said, the cd-singles market is not really important and it's the airplay that counts...

On the hits chart:
-Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of: 35 (22 last week)
It must be falling because Kite is getting more airplay now.

On Tv:
-MuchMoreMusic has the Stuck In A Moment video at 22 and the Kite video enters at 28
-Nothing on the MuchMusic countdown
-MusiquePlus has the "What's Going On" video at 18

Hello,

The website that lists the Dutch charts has mercy on me this week. They've already updated everything today, Tuesday. I'm a happy man! I'm also happy because I'm still able to report about ATYCLB's chart positions after more than a year after its release. So here are the positions from the Dutch charts, courtesy of the Mega Top 100 ( http://web.planet.nl/music/charts/megatop100/ )
In its 59th week ATYCLB is still doing quite well. It rises another 8 positions to #57. Early Christmas shopping might have had an effect, as did the Walk On single. And AFAIK the DVD is also very popular here in the Netherlands, so that may have convinced many people to buy the album (that would be those who lost it a little bit during the Zooropa/Pop days and see U2's first DVD and realise they like many of the new songs). Whatever the reason, ATYCLB has a very respectable end-of-year position. Yep, next week there won't be a new chart, you have to wait for 2002 to get any updates. However, next week will see the year-end results.
The total run of ATYCLB so far is:
1-1-1-1-1-3-3-3-6-7
6-5-7-6-6-6-5-6-1-2
8-12-16-25-30-36-38-40-45-48
49-43-39-39-45-42-36-27-15-7
6-6-14-25-29-39-37-43-55-47
38-65-60-66-69-80-81-65-57
(all information prior to week 40 with many thanks to Flying Padre Jr.)

Last week I said that ATYCLB was close to overtaking The Best Of 1980-1990 as highest charting current U2 album. That hasn't happened this week, but the gap cannot be any smaller. Because one position above ATYCLB we find The Best Of, charting in its 105th week. U2's oldies apperently are a very good Christmas present, even more so than Mariah Carey's new Greatest Hits set which debuts at #61 (Ha!
smile.gif
), although not as in demand as Limp Bizkit's New Old Songs, which debuts at #55 (Ah!
frown.gif
)
The Best Of 1980-1990's (4th?) chart run is:
86-46-37-45-62-57-61-56

The #1 album in the Netherlands is for a second week Freak Of Nature by Anastacia. Yes, she is big here in the Netherlands. Somebody who isn't big anymore (thankfully!) is Britney Spears (who?). Her album drops to 36 (from 32). Who wants to bet how many weeks it will take before she's out of the top 100?
biggrin.gif

Anastacia's single Paid My Dues rises again one position to #6.

After the massive drop last week (18 positions!
eek.gif
) Walk On's fall has slowed down, thankfully. In its 5th week the single drops 4 positions to #32. Although I don't think it will rise again, at least its not falling as rapidly as last week.
Here is the chart run of Walk On:
31-8-10-28

What's Going On? drops 3 places to #36.
What's Going On?'s run on the charts is:
61-26-26-27-34-33-36

The #1 single is the same as last week, L'Amour Toujours by Gigi D'Agostino (apparently a single by an Italian act, with a French title but lyrics in English). I still haven't heard the song, so I can't comment on it.
J-Lo drops. Britney drops and the BSB to #22.
Gigi D'Agostino's album, also called L'Amour Toujours, storms into the top 10 to land at #7.

As I said earlier in this post, there won't be a chart update next week. Hopefully I can report some good news about the year results.

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Hello,

Since doctorwho still isn't posting (COME BACK!) I'll briefly give the numbers on the US charts. As I don't have any knowledge about the charts I'm not able to discuss it.
Anyway, here are the results from http://www.billboard.com

ATYCLB: Rises 7 positions to #69 and with a gold background indicating an increase in sales.

Stuck...: Falls 5 places on the Hot 100 to #78.

Elevation Tour 2001: Rises 1 position and overtakes Britney on the Top Music Video Chart.
smile.gif

C ya!

Marty

[This message has been edited by Popmartijn (edited 12-20-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Popmartijn (edited 12-20-2001).]

I hope I can elaborate a little bit. Reading through some Billboard info and comparing with hitsdailydouble info. It looks like about a 15% increase kept an album steady on the charts this week. A 25-30% increase moved albums up around 5 spots. So we can assume that ATYCLB sales rose at least 30% this past week as it climbed 7 spots.

My estimate for sales last week was 39,000. With a 30% increase this week, that would put them at just over 50,000 for week 59.

Also Stuck remains at number 9 on adult top 40

Originally posted by vox626:
The week before xmas is the biggest week for sales in the year. This past week U2 sold about 50,000 copies. Next week we could see numbers up about 40% or more across the board. If anyone knows what Im trying to say........U2 MIGHT have a shot to sell 100,000 copies this coming week! I mean last year the week before Xmas saw the top.....and Im about 90% sure the top 45 albums sold over 100,000 copies. U2 is at 69, it they could rise up a little more and sales could be a bit higher then last year they MAY have a shot. I dont think its that likly to happen but I do see 75,000 easily in their reach!!!!

Last year, I believe the top 33 albums all sold over 100,000 copies the week before Xmas. Hence why I'm estimating about 50,000 for ATYCLB this week (and probably about the same for next week).

Doc- I have the billboard issue dated December 30,2000 which represents two weeks before xmas. It is the issue right before the beatles sold 1 million in a week. This issue says that the top 32 sold over 100K, it is the issue that U2 was in their seventh week at number 20. It also says that the year before the top 46 sold over 100K. i do not have the next weeks issue which I have claimed that the top 45 sold over 100K but I would find it hard to believe that the next week had U2 at number 18 with sales of 250K would ONLY have the top 33 over 100K. I am near positive that at least the top 40 albums sold over 100K. In fact I may be low with only the top 45 selling 100K the week before xmas, it might have been closer to the top 50.

Originally posted by womanfish:
I hope I can elaborate a little bit. Reading through some Billboard info and comparing with hitsdailydouble info. It looks like about a 15% increase kept an album steady on the charts this week. A 25-30% increase moved albums up around 5 spots. So we can assume that ATYCLB sales rose at least 30% this past week as it climbed 7 spots.

My estimate for sales last week was 39,000. With a 30% increase this week, that would put them at just over 50,000 for week 59.

Also Stuck remains at number 9 on adult top 40

I have to agree with this estimate. Remember, this is the pre-holiday mode. We should see big sales this week (the week before Christmas last year, ATYCLB sold 259,000 copies at #18) and sold well over 100,000 copies the following week (due to last minute holiday sales). The same will probably be true this year, especially since Christmas falls on a Tuesday (later in the week). We could easily see sales of 50,000 copies again next week and maybe 35,000 copies the following week before sales start to drop back down to normal.

Since ATYCLB was able to surive into its second holiday season, I estimate that total sales will be close to (if not over) 3.3 million before it starts falling. If U2 are able to get one more hit song, that has a boost on the album, they might just get 4x Platinum before the album slips from the charts.

The week before xmas is the biggest week for sales in the year. This past week U2 sold about 50,000 copies. Next week we could see numbers up about 40% or more across the board. If anyone knows what Im trying to say........U2 MIGHT have a shot to sell 100,000 copies this coming week! I mean last year the week before Xmas saw the top.....and Im about 90% sure the top 45 albums sold over 100,000 copies. U2 is at 69, it they could rise up a little more and sales could be a bit higher then last year they MAY have a shot. I dont think its that likly to happen but I do see 75,000 easily in their reach!!!!

German charts: Walk On drops to #81 after debuting at #54 last week. As expected, ATYCLB doesn't re-enter the album chart.

Originally posted by dizzy:
I haven't heard Walk On on the radio. How come it's not getting any airplay?
frown.gif

Walk On isn't a current single in the USA. It was released as a radio single in Jan/Feb 2001. At the moment, Stuck... is the single in the USA (currently #78 on the Hot 100).

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Thanks to everyone who provides the great sales info. It's nice that know that ATYCLB is still selling well after more than a year.

I don't have any sales info., but every week on the modern rock station here, they countdown the top 30 selling modern rock albums for the previous week in this area. U2 hasn't dropped out of this top 30 list since ATYCLB came out. With the holiday sales, the album went back up to # 11 last week.

Well...here's the chart news in Australia....and all you thought it was quiet down here eh?
Walk On debuted at No. 9 on the Aria charts, which is dissapointing seeing that it was the top SELLING single EVERYDAY of that week...it was just that no one plays it except for Nova 96.9 and MMM 104.9.
This is Walk On's run on the charts:
9 (No. 1 selling), 21 (No. 7 Selling), 32 (No. 14 selling)

Ah....it's a pity, but i guess U2 has to live with it seeing that they have forsaken us (although we expected it anyway).
I went looking around and i found some interesting info:
For the top singles of 2000 (not 2001), U2 had Beautiful Day at No. 54. Anastacia topped the charts with "I'm outta love", and Madonna topped with Music at No. 5.
ATYCLB got to No. 8 on the Top 200 albums of 2000 even though it was only out for 7 weeks beforehand(at the stats are taking in a week before the end of the year)
4 of the 5 top albums sellers were Australian bands, and U2 beat the likes of Anastacia, Destiny's child, Britney Spears, Matchbox 20, Kylie Mynogue, Blink 182, Limp Bizkit, The Ofspring, Madonna, Eminem, Backstreet Boys, Ricky Martin....the list goes on....
I predict that this year ATYCLB will get between No. 15 and No. 12....ofcourse i'm not good at predicting...so it'll probably be lower.
WHYWHY

Back
Top Bottom