Vertigo Japan shows perhaps the best Bono has ever sounded?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This thread has gotten kind of silly.

Fact: Rock'n'roll has never been about singers being technically good.

Fact: Bono is clearly better than 95% of professional rock singers.

Fact: U2 is the biggest rock group in the world.

Conclusion: Bono doesn't need to worry.

(If you want to hear some bad singers, check out British indie bands.)

I think the the loss of the richness and warmth of his lovetown voice to the way his voice sounded on the zoo tv tour could be attributed to the lack of reverb used on bono's amps to be honest.

^^^Excellent point. While I do think that Bono's voice had more power on Lovetown than on ZooTV, he did use a LOT of reverb on the Lovetown tour. On some of my bootlegs it sounds like there's three or four of him.

I'm in love with Bono and his singing! (and I'm a guy haha)

I teach voice in michigan and can say for certain that Bono has been singing with a lot more technique than before.

The "A" in "Sometimes" is a mixed-head voice which is a lot safer on his vocal bands than in the past...a wise move on his part! It's a tough skill the master sometimes, but Bono's always been good at the falsetto (which he never 'lost', just his smoking and drinking inhibited) so it's easy to get the blend.

True, Bono doesn't care much for being technically accurate (watch his duet with the maestro on "ave maria".. ((which is amazing either way :) )) but there isn't much of that on the radio anyhow...

It would be interesting if Bono took his new skill and used them on that choir piece in Lanois film... I'd love to hear Bono do a John Rutter tune;) haha j/k

Either way, I cannot wait to see, hear, feel them again...

night!

Headache in a Suitcase said:
too think that there isn't at least the possibility that bono's using voice enhancers in concert is pretty naive.

Dude, holding a note for that long has nothing at all to do with technology. His voice is better than it's been in years, and if you disagree, that's your problem. :wink:

In the end it is all about if the song sounds good and if the melody and the voice fit the song, if not you can be as technically good as you want the song will be boring. Same goes for any instrument. The voice is an instrument and if it doesn't fit the song....or the song is crap nobody will care how technically proficient you can argue somebody to be. As long as he keeps writing good songs along with the band to be honest I don't think anybody gives a hoot in hell if Bono is hitting an A, or vocal ranges they haven't heard before.

Most of the artists that have been listed here can be argued to be technically proficient but would I listen to them no, not for the most part because the music is boring.

I agree with you. It's all about the music and how it changes the temperature of the room...

proficiency means nothing next to blood, sweat and tears.

Why do I get the impression that some contributors in this thread have only heard a half dozen or so bootlegs from JT or LT eras?

Last edited:
last unicorn said:

No, I meant: If someone has a strong voice, he's not automatically a good singer, because he still has to learn how to use it.

But I totally understand your point, it's a subject you know a lot about since you are taking lessons and understand singing techniques.

Bono is a rock singer, he will never be a perfectly trained singer and his voice is damaged too much in order to be very good again. But if only trained singers with perfect techniques would be allowed to sing, we wouldn't have much of the music we have today.

I also admire great vocalists and I'm very much into opera, but I still say Bono is a good singer, because there is so much more about his way of performing, maybe it just makes up for the lack of real technique and ability. I still feel that, compared to other singers in his field, he can do a lot with his voice.

Yes, great point. Bono is a great singer for all the other elements he brings. Tecnichs may sometimes even leave out that bit of feeling and emotion that you always must put in a song. This is the risk of being to attached at technics, this is also true.
In the end, what makes Bono a great one, is the heart that he throws on the crowds everytime with every note he sings, speaks or even when he goes out of tune. But it is just concerned to him, because he's Bono, because he's the singer of U2, and because he's doing this business since 30 years..............You can say nothing to someone who has accompanied generations and generations.
Just, if he would have payed more attention with his voice in the past, then, you know..................But my advice to ones who want to start singing today is, go learn, study, don't waste your voice, because we're not Bonos, and it would be a shame when you wouldn't have the chance to comunicate your feelings in the way you want, and mainly in the way it should

To much technics means less emotion and there is no other singer that can put so much emotion and soul to the singing like Bono.

Hsi singing is very wide, high notes, low dark singing, falsetto...

Peterrrrr said:
To much technics means less emotion and there is no other singer that can put so much emotion and soul to the singing like Bono.

Hsi singing is very wide, high notes, low dark singing, falsetto...

Wide singing, high notes, FALSETTO especially, are all ways of singing where you should rip your back off to say that you can actually sing. Try to go on a high note, try to see how much you can hold without letting your voice trembling, and then pay attention on your throat, if it hurts after a couple of times you've tried it. You should once observe a couple of methods, then you will see if there's a difference or not, between someone who opens his mouth and shouts, and someone who takes the breath and sings. And I can tell you that the emotion flows through you like light.................Don't say technics means less emotions, because this is highly incorrect.
Studying means to go through lots of stages, where you get educated under each and every aspect. Sometimes, as I stated before, the overattention on technics could even bring to a cold flap, but it's all question of how you interpret a song. If it's someone else's song, it may be, if you don't like the singer's style for example. But if it's your song, you create it and sing it like you want. Fair enough that we might like Bono, even when he's out of tune, because he writes fantastic songs, because he puts blood in it,etc etc. But never in the world Bono overcomes the rules of singing, this is too much

65980 said:
This thread has gotten kind of silly.

Fact: Rock'n'roll has never been about singers being technically good.

Fact: Bono is clearly better than 95% of professional rock singers.

Fact: U2 is the biggest rock group in the world.

Conclusion: Bono doesn't need to worry.

(If you want to hear some bad singers, check out British indie bands.)

Word on this homie.

I don't really care if Bono is as good as LT now or not. He doesn't suck now; he's clearly improved from Popmart and Elevation. His voice may not be the best it's ever been, but it's damn good. No complaints here.

One thing that was strange on the 5th leg was that almost every song has a better vocal performences, except two songs:

COBL
He was very shaky and unstable sometimes on this song.

SYCMIOYO
The same with this song.

Back
Top Bottom