Under a Blood Red Sky-opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Scientist

The Fly
I know this may be old :drool: news about this show but I'm curious what everyone's opinion on their first live album are?

the place:
June 05, 1983 / Denver, CO
Tour: War - 2nd leg
Venue: Red Rocks Amphitheater

the actual show:
Out Of Control
Twilight
An Cat Dubh
Into The Heart
Surrender
Two Hearts Beat As One
Seconds
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Electric Co.
I Fall Down
October
New Year's Day
I Threw A Brick...
A Day Without Me
Gloria

Encore(s):
Party Girl
11 O'Clock Tick Tock
I Will Follow

the album
1. Gloria
2. 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
3. I Will Follow
4. Party Girl
5. Sunday Bloody Sunday
6. Electric Co.
7. New Year's Day
8. 40

The album is SOOO chopped up and pre-assembled. Yet its the album that first got me into U2 (listening it IN the Colorado mountains on my way to camp with my best friend after it had just come out).

Here's some other interesting info I've found off amazon

"As some reviewers have noted, part of the track 'Electric Co' is missing a bit during an interlude in the song where Bono starts singing part of 'America' from West Side Story and 'Send in the Clowns' from A Little Night Music. Of course, our Draconian copyright laws being what they are, these brief references had to be cut to avoid a lawsuit, I suppose. The cut is reflected on the tape and the CD."

"this E.P. was recorded using material from their concerts in Boston and West Germany as well as Denver, so these songs are not quite the same live versions that exist on the longer 'Live from Red Rocks' video. "

"Contains songs from 3 different performances ( Boston, Denver and St Goarshausen, 1983 ), most of them from Germany ( 5 songs ). This album includes AWESOME versions of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "New Year's Day" ( both far better than red rocks ). But is a shame the fact this is not a complete live album, as it mean to be. Also contains a few editing ( Bono's speech before Sunday Bloody Sunday and other ones ). "
======================================

So what's your response to this "show": (since I can't seem to make a damn poll)

A- The official (cut & pasted) cd is what I love the most!! :wink:

B- The (unedited) video is the real deal and better!! :|

C- Who cares, its an over-rated show!! :mad:

D- Not this again, its old NEWS!!! :madspit:

E- Never heard of it.... :ohmy:

humor me if I've dug up an old topic, i'm new :huh: Any other info would be new to me and also appreciated!!

It's a great cd, I really like Sunday Bloody Sunday, Gloria and 11 O'Clock Tick Tock but the best song there is The Electric Co. Great, great live version, very inspired. I don't like Edge's backing vocals on New Year's Day, I like the way he does it now. Oh and 40 and I Will Follow is a special one too. I really wished they had released the live versions of Two Hearts, Surrender and Out Of Control. I never heard the whole show so I can?t talk about it much but I?m waiting that they release the whole thing on DVD someday.

It's a great live album. :up:

hehe i have the album on vinyl with the full version of electric co with the brief snippits of those other songs.

it's a good live ep i guess. i just hope someday that maybe we'd get the full unedited concert on DVD.

Actually I would go with

F. Full length broadcast bootleg recording of Red Rocks.

UABRS was good in that it captured a side of U2 that the recorded albums could not during that time frame. The band themselves have indicated this as well. The energy that they convey live had not been put onto an official recording until then and thats when they broke fairly big. I loved it at the time, wore out my cassette of it on several occassions. But I couldnt tell you the last time I listened to it. I would rather hear a full length bootleg of the show that sounds as good if not better now.

What is interesting to think about is the fact that U2 have only really released one complete show on VHS/DVD/ or CD and that is Mexico City 1997 on VHS (it has some very minor edits but overall it is complete). Every other live release has some type of major edit (Although Slane is close in that M. Ways was included as bonus, but even that is incomplete). I wish U2 would just release a full raw show. To me they seem to overproduce their live recordings to where it almost sounds to processed. The rumor about the full Red Rocks show being put to DVD would be awesome. But I will believe it if and when it happens. Even then, it will probebly get edited down.

Just curious how prevalent the "bootleg" video conversion of this show is. After all even though its not available yet on an official dvd there are the official vhs and more importantly LASERDISC originals that should be floating around. I'm assuming that people can get A version of this show on dvd that were converted from these (from trades under the table). :)

They exist but its under the table for the most part as it is an official release. The bootleg to look for is a good generation of the the almost full show (another portion was aired on Showtime in 84 with a few more songs than are on the official release also). There is also a bootleg DVD of the whole show but the prevelant version is about 4th generation. Thats why I say a full length official DVD (which has been talked about) would be the best thing IMO. I think the most to hope for though as far as an official release is the VHS version of Red Rocks that was already released to be put on DVD. Would be better than nothing, but a little disappointing also considering what could have been done.

Last edited:
Personally, I think UABRS wins hands-down as the best U2 album ever purely on the power of being live. It's my favourite U2 CD and I use it as my alarm in the morning. I prefer the video, though. On the album, there's a HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE edit on 11 O'clock Tick Tock. As anyone who has the Boston bootleg knows, this is a quality performance, but the edit totally sucks the life out of it. I cannot comprehend why the performance on the video isn't on the CD, because the 5 June 1983 one is the best performance of 11OTT ever.

I love listening to the full audio bootleg - one of U2's best shows ever. They were on fire that night, especially Edge during 11OTT. It's interesting to note that Twilight, An Cat Dubh, and Into The Heart were officially released as b-sides of The Sweetest Thing in 1998. I'd love to see a full DVD of the concert released. Blue Room, wouldn't the bootleg DVD be missing I Fall Down? From what I've been told, all songs have been broadcast in some way, shape, or form besides IFD.

The album is a decent time killer, but it's no match for the concert video. The video is just pure energy throughout and it's a bit easier to digest than the others because you don't need two free hours.

The album is great. It does maybe feel a little bit too cut up but it's still very good. I don't have the video of this or anything though so I can't compare it to that.

Back
Top Bottom