U2's Most Overrated Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which U2 album is the most overrated among fans?

• Boy

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • October

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • War

Votes: 19 9.5%
  • The Unforgettable Fire

Votes: 14 7.0%
  • The Joshua Tree

Votes: 21 10.4%
  • Rattle And Hum

Votes: 9 4.5%
  • Achtung, Baby!

Votes: 14 7.0%
  • Zooropa

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Pop

Votes: 20 10.0%
  • All That You Can't Leave Behind

Votes: 72 35.8%
  • How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

Votes: 15 7.5%

• Total voters
Achtung Baby is wildly over-rated.

There is no way you could over-rate the perfection of The Unforgettable Fire.

How can anyone say Rattle and Hum is overrated? It seems like it gets bashed more than any other album! Regardless of how much you like it, it is one of the most underrated albums just because of all of the criticism it gets.
Just my thoughts.

Axver said:
Achtung Baby is wildly over-rated.

There is no way you could over-rate the perfection of The Unforgettable Fire.

Elvis Presley, Wire, Indian Summer Sky are crap songs..not even close to perfection or even being mediocre. Nothing on Achtung Baby even approaches the level of badness these three exhibit. :)

ATYCLB, easily. It's a media darling, and so is HTDAAB, but Bomb can back that up with a strong B-side, Behind is left in the dust.

I love The Unforgettable Fire, I really do but on War you take away the classics: Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day and 40 and you're still left with Like A Song, Two Hearts Beat As One and Surrender! On TUF you take away the classics: Pride and Bad and you're just left with A Sort Of A Homecoming. :|

I think with War U2 got where the wanted to go in a more successful way, they wanted a style and a way of songwriting and they achieved it. I mean it's very difficult to make a groovy rock song still keeping the metallic sound of the guitars and the slightly more aggressive rock attitude, they did it with Two Hearts Beat As One, it feels like such a leap forward from October. It's like they were more on control of their music. Bono’s lyrics and melodies are amazing on War, some of his best moments are on that record, Edge’s guitars are just very full and rich and Larry and Adam are again dominating with those amazing beats and basslines. Plus songs like Surrender with the great use of the slide and Like A Song with those amazing drums and straightforward lyrics are just incredible! :wink:

On TUF they seem lost, at times it feels like they kept the second best cause they couldn’t get what they wanted anymore. Granted they were stepping into a different territory with new producers and looking for different sounds but they already had some experience behind them. Plus I think they didn't know what were those different sounds they were looking so it feels a bit messy and weak at some moments. But I think that just the fact that after 3 very straightforward and successful rock records U2 tried to dive into some experimental music is also incredible. And it clearly shows the difference between them and the others. :)

How are Pop and R&H getting votes? They're hardly liked at all outside of the U2 community (and even inside), much less OVERrated! I think people are voting for albums they simply don't like. I voted for ATYCLB and I LOVE this album dearly, but I also believe it is the most overrated.

Fans choice is clear: All That You Can´t Leave behind :mad: :madspit: :censored: :down:

without a doubt, their most overrated soup ever !!!!!!!!

I love almost every U2 album, but I really HATE All That You Can´t Leave Behind. I think the problem is fans think is great just because U2 said they were returned to Joshua Tree days, you know, "epic sound, guitars, when 4 people plays in a small room" etc, and all that false words fans believed :(

Listen to it carefully, compositions and melodies are U2´s poorest ever, just listen to Wild Honey or Grace :down:. Also Bono´s performance is rough, weak and awful. In A Little While, Wild Honey, When I Look At The Wold ( despite this one is a great melody itself ) are clear examples of that damaged Bono´s voice. Since this album, and I still don´t know why, Bono seems to be obstinate in demostrate he still can reach higher notes, like on Kite, Wild Honey, All Because Of You, Vertigo, Yahweh, Beautiful Day, etc. The outcome always is shameful, really :sad:

It´s time to rediscover their most underrated albums ever:

Pop and Zooropa :cool: :bow: :heart:

I'm happy to see others hating the R&H bashing, too!! It has too many amazing songs for that.
And while I love UF, I cannot agree with the word perfection. Some perfect tunes, though:wave:

I was never able to get into UF!

I Try (even as I write this) but besides Pride and Bad (which is great) , I find the rest too mellow!

Oh well....to each is own I guess!

Viva AB!

For the sake of the poll, please vote for albums you think are overrated, not albums you simply don't like. That's not the point. I've never heard anyone praising R & H, so please defend your choice if you're going to say this album is 'overrated' by fans and/or the general public.

-Miggy D

ponkine said:
Fans choice is clear: All That You Can´t Leave behind :mad: :madspit: :censored: :down:

without a doubt, their most overrated soup ever !!!!!!!!

I love almost every U2 album, but I really HATE All That You Can´t Leave Behind. I think the problem is fans think is great just because U2 said they were returned to Joshua Tree days, you know, "epic sound, guitars, when 4 people plays in a small room" etc, and all that false words fans believed :(

Listen to it carefully, compositions and melodies are U2´s poorest ever, just listen to Wild Honey or Grace :down:. Also Bono´s performance is rough, weak and awful. In A Little While, Wild Honey, When I Look At The Wold ( despite this one is a great melody itself ) are clear examples of that damaged Bono´s voice. Since this album, and I still don´t know why, Bono seems to be obstinate in demostrate he still can reach higher notes, like on Kite, Wild Honey, All Because Of You, Vertigo, Yahweh, Beautiful Day, etc. The outcome always is shameful, really :sad:

Do you just cut and paste the same post each time you participate in a topic? "HTDAAB/ATYCLB sux sorry:( "

Cretin...

I had no idea so many people were down on Rattle and Hum!

All I want is you
Desire
Silver and Gold
Hawkmoon 269
Love Rescue Me
God Part II

These are some GREAT songs!

Love Rescue Me... :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:
Worst U2 song ever...without a doubt.
All That You Can't Leave Behind definitely the most overrated! So many Grammys and sales and those idiotic "U2 return to form, U2 return to rock" quotes for a weak album. Pop and HTDAAB are so much better it hurts.

Niceman said:
I had no idea so many people were down on Rattle and Hum!

All I want is you
Desire
Silver and Gold
Hawkmoon 269
Love Rescue Me
God Part II

These are some GREAT songs!

Plus Angel Of Harlem and When Love Comes To Town. :up:

By the way I absolutely adore Love Rescue Me, those lyrics... :drool:

I'm gonna have to go with THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE (atleast here at Interference). It's pretty good, I guess. It just puzzles me how users here completely BASH ATYCLB to no end, but praise TUF. I mean, to be perfectly honest, they have the same amount of standout tracks...but whereas the remaining tracks on ATYCLB are between average and fairly good, the other tracks on TUF are some of U2's worst album tracks, IMO.

Sleep Over Jack said:

Do you just cut and paste the same post each time you participate in a topic? "HTDAAB/ATYCLB sux sorry:( "

Cretin...

you don´t have the right to call me whatever you want, you respect people here first :mad:

second, I never copy-paste anything, I always write at real time :mad:

ponkine said:

you don´t have the right to call me whatever you want, you respect people here first :mad:

second, I never copy-paste anything, I always write at real time :mad:

Ponkine, mate, let this sleep over jack with his own ignorance... the poor guy is a crashing bore...

My guess is that this guy was cheated by his gf and he didn't get over it...

Sleep Over Jack said:

Cretin...

SOJ - please do not use derogatory names for other board members. You are welcome to express your opinion, negative or otherwise, but please be respectful - no personal attacks.

Nobody is saying ATYCLB isnt a "good" album but out in the general public I do think its the most over rated when placed against others. I didnt vote for it here because I think Joshua Tree is also that way, although in my opinion it is better then ATYCLB but its not THAT much better. I think Bomb is better then both Joshua Tree and ATYCLB by a wide margin only CD that possibly beats the new album for me on a track by track basis is Achtung Baby.

Back
Top Bottom