U2: Unplugged - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2006, 11:08 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:46 PM
U2: Unplugged

Yeah, I know, it's been discussed before. And yeah, I know, it probably will never happen. But I've been listening to Alice In Chains' and Nirvana's Unplugged albums a lot lately and I just can't stop fantasizing about U2 doing an MTV Unplugged show.

And I don't envision a show of hits either. I envision a show of some hits(the quiter ones) but mostly stuff that is either lesser known or not known at all outside of diehard fans. Including stuff they've never played live ever before. I truly believe that U2 could figure out a way to play any of the following unplugged and it would be amazing:

An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart(if AIC can play Angry Chair unplugged, U2 can play An Cat Dubh)
A Day Without Me
Shadows And Tall Trees
Gloria
Tomorrow
October
Party Girl
Seconds
Drowning Man
"40"
A Sort Of Homecoming
Promenade
MLK
Love Comes Tumbling
I Still Haven't Found
With Or Without You
Running To Stand Still
In God's Country
One Tree Hill
Mothers Of The Disappeared
Sweetest Thing
Luminous Times
Walk To The Water
Van Dieman's Land
Heartland
Angel Of Harlem
All I Want Is You
One
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
So Cruel
Acrobat(they didn't play it during ZooTV because it was too difficult to play - but we know damn well they can do it acoustically very well because of the Hershey soundcheck)
Stay(Faraway, So Close)
The First Time
The Wanderer
Your Blue Room
If God Will Send His Angels
Staring At The Sun
Please
Wake Up Dead Man
Stuck In A Moment
Kite
In A Little While
Wild Honey
Ground Beneath Her Feet
Summer Rain
Sometimes
A Man And A Woman
Original Of The Species
Yahweh
Fast Cars

Oh, how glorius it would be. Unplugged for just one night. Bring out a few hits and a lot of quaint lesser known stuff and put together a two or three hour set - it wouldn't require as much energy because there wouldn't be any running around or jumping or anything. It would be absolutely magical.

Drowning Man unplugged, So Cruel unplugged, Seconds unplugged, IGWSHA unplugged, Acrobat unplugged, Tomorrow unplugged....it would be absolutely amazing.

Oh well. A guy can dream.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:15 PM   #2
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:46 AM
Re: U2: Unplugged

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
Oh well. A guy can dream.
Your dream, my nightmare.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-20-2006, 11:17 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: U2: Unplugged

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Care to elaborate?
Old 07-20-2006, 11:17 PM   #4
The Male

Local Time: 11:46 AM
Re: Re: U2: Unplugged

Quote:

Aw, come on Ax, it would be fun. Probably not revelatory or anything, but still fun.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:26 PM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:46 PM
Re: Re: Re: U2: Unplugged

Quote:

Care to elaborate?
He included songs from Achtung Baby. That's all you need to know.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:28 PM   #6
Vocal parasite

Re: Re: Re: U2: Unplugged

Quote:

Care to elaborate?
Just check out performances such as Stay on the Boston DVD and SATS on the Slane DVD; utterly dreadful. U2 would not sound good at all if they played an entire unplugged concert.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-20-2006, 11:28 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:46 PM
Hearing acoustic versions of many of the songs above is of course appealing, but doing it in the MTV Unplugged format is just cheesy. I'd rather them just shake up the acoustic numbers more often on their regular gig setlists.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:31 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:46 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: U2: Unplugged

Quote:

Just check out performances such as Stay on the Boston DVD and SATS on the Slane DVD; utterly dreadful. U2 would not sound good at all if they played an entire unplugged concert.
Some are great though. The Stuck in a Moment b-side gets a thumbs up, as does the Staring at the Sun from ?Rotterdam?. I haven't heard, but can imagine a stormy semi-plugged Acrobat, could be magic. Your main point is right though, a full concert of Unplugged would not be good. Too many flaws exposed. Do what they can do well as little one off nuggets of goodness, not a lot just for the sake of it with varying quality.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:32 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
Hearing acoustic versions of many of the songs above is of course appealing, but doing it in the MTV Unplugged format is just cheesy. I'd rather them just shake up the acoustic numbers more often on their regular gig setlists.
Why is it cheesy? Have you listened to AIC's Unplugged? It's anything but cheesy.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:33 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 02:46 PM
There is no way you could convince Larry to do this. Bono speechs before and after every song? Honestly, it wouldn't just be Axver's nightmare if they tried this. It would give new meaning to creative differences.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:35 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:46 PM
Don't know if it would really work. U2 is all about that big sonic explosion that you really just get with the big and loud electric instruments. But then again they are great songwriters and have done great reinterpretation of their songs before, plus Bono has said that they really are a folk band (the loudest one).

Anyway if it had to be done this is what I think would work best and what I would like to hear:

01. Desire
02. All Because Of You
03. Gone
04. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For
05. All I Want Is You
06. Starring At The Sun
07. A Sort Of A Homecoming
08. Trying To Throw You Arms Around The World
09. October
10. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
11. In God’s Country
12. Please
13. Crumbs From Your Table
14. Sunday Bloody Sunday
15. Walk On
16. Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
17. Fast Cars
18. Angel Of Harlem
19. Yahweh
20. Love Rescue Me

Some of those songs could be done with Edge on piano and Bono on guitar or just Edge on piano.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:37 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBrazilianFly
Don't know if it would really work. U2 is all about that big sonic explosion that you really just get with the big and loud electric instruments. But then again they are great songwriters and have done great reinterpretation of their songs before, plus Bono has said that they really are a folk band (the loudest one).

Anyway if it had to be done this is what I think would work best and what I would like to hear:

01. Desire
02. All Because Of You
03. Gone
04. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For
05. All I Want Is You
06. Starring At The Sun
07. A Sort Of A Homecoming
08. Trying To Throw You Arms Around The World
09. October
10. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
11. In God’s Country
12. Please
13. Crumbs From Your Table
14. Sunday Bloody Sunday
15. Walk On
16. Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
17. Fast Cars
18. Angel Of Harlem
19. Yahweh
20. Love Rescue Me

Some of those songs could be done with Edge on piano and Bono on guitar or just Edge on piano.
Not enough obscurity for my tastes.

Besides, I really don't think HMTMKMKM or Gone could be done unplugged. And Desire unplugged is dull, imo. But whatever floats your boat.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:40 PM   #13
Vocal parasite

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: U2: Unplugged

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers

Some are great though. The Stuck in a Moment b-side gets a thumbs up, as does the Staring at the Sun from ?Rotterdam?.
I dislike Stuck In A Moment, but I'll concede the acoustic version is the better version of the song. That Rotterdam SATS performance puts me to sleep, though.

I think some of the U2 magic is lost every time the band water a song down into an acoustic form.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-20-2006, 11:43 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: U2: Unplugged

Quote:

I dislike Stuck In A Moment, but I'll concede the acoustic version is the better version of the song. That Rotterdam SATS performance puts me to sleep, though.

I think some of the U2 magic is lost every time the band water a song down into an acoustic form.
Ah, see, now we're getting somewhere. The fundemental disagreement we have is that you view unplugged performances as being 'watered-down' from their original forms, whereas I view unplugged performances, when done right, to be a window into the soul of a song. The absolute essence of a song, if you will.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:44 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:46 PM
Quote:
Besides, I really don't think HMTMKMKM or Gone could be done unplugged.
HMTMKMKM has an acoustic guitar being played from beginning to end on the original version. Gone would need new things on it (like a new intro) but I can defenitly see them paying it.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:03 AM   #16
Vocal parasite

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: U2: Unplugged

Quote:

Ah, see, now we're getting somewhere. The fundemental disagreement we have is that you view unplugged performances as being 'watered-down' from their original forms, whereas I view unplugged performances, when done right, to be a window into the soul of a song. The absolute essence of a song, if you will.
See, I wouldn't agree with that at all, at least not when it comes to U2. To me, it seems that whenever they perform an acoustic version of the song, they just slow it down and turn it into a sleepy little plod through territory where a great song used to be. It sounds especially bad when Bono's voice is even remotely tired, worn, or otherwise affected by use or illness.

I always feel like something is missing, specifically the spark and life of the song.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-21-2006, 12:04 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: U2: Unplugged

Quote:

See, I wouldn't agree with that at all, at least not when it comes to U2. To me, it seems that whenever they perform an acoustic version of the song, they just slow it down and turn it into a sleepy little plod through territory where a great song used to be. It sounds especially bad when Bono's voice is even remotely tired, worn, or otherwise affected by use or illness.

I always feel like something is missing, specifically the spark and life of the song.
Just out of curiosity, is this your opinion of unplugged performances by ANY band or artist, or is this opinion specific to U2?
Old 07-21-2006, 12:11 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:46 PM
Adam can play spoons.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:20 AM   #19
Vocal parasite

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: U2: Unplugged

Quote:

Just out of curiosity, is this your opinion of unplugged performances by ANY band or artist, or is this opinion specific to U2?
A bit of both, I suppose. I don't really like when any bands water their songs down to acoustic versions, but some do it better than others and I quite dislike most of U2's acoustic versions.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-21-2006, 12:37 AM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 01:46 PM
Banjo Vertigo