U2 Trivia -- hardcore fans only!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
1. What was U2's first single?

2. What Unforgettable Fire song never made it's debut on tour?

3. What is New Year's Day written about?

4. What's one song that debut live, but never was on an LP?

5. What was the working title of Miracle Drug?

6. Name two songs played during the "Where The Streets Have No Name" video shoot

7. What was U2's name before switching to U2?

8. What's the largest amount of people (to a rounded number) that U2 has played to?

9. Where was the 2nd Vertigo DVD shot?

10. Who is quoted to say, "I would love to sing 'In A Little While' with Bono, but I don't think I could reach the high notes." Who finally made his debut in Las Vegas with the band?

1. U2-3
3. Violence between Northern Ireland/Britain?
4. A Celebration
7. Feedback, then The Hype
8. I'd have to say 110,000- probably in Mexico
9. Milan
10. Brandon Flowers

Y2K said:

3. Violence between Northern Ireland/Britain?
...no...

maybe this will help you:

3.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

62.jpg

Last edited:
Just to be vaguely politcal and point out a misconception held by many people in the States, but the conflict in NI isn't Northern Ireland Vs Britain as Hollywood would have you believe.

Northern Ireland is part of Britain.

The violence was between Republican terrorists (pro Irish State), Loyalist terrorists (pro Britain) and the British and Irish Authorities, and the vast majority of it these days is criminal, rather than politically motivated.

U2:3, with Out Of Control as the a-side and Stories For Boys and Boy/Girl as the b-sides.

Promenade, 4th Of July, Elvis Presley And America.

Poland's Solidarity movement/

Cartoon World, Father Is An Elephant, We Love You, She's A Mystery To Me (U2 record at least), Lost On A Silent Planet, etc.

I was under the impression people thought Xanax And Wine was Miracle Drug's working title when it in fact was not.

6. Name two songs played during the "Where The Streets Have No Name" video shoot
Pride and In God's Country.

Feedback and The Hype.

8. What's the largest amount of people (to a rounded number) that U2 has played to?
150,000 in Reggio Emilia, Italy on 20 September 1997. That is, of course, just considering U2 gigs and not considering large festivals such as Live Aid/8.

Milan.

10. Who is quoted to say, "I would love to sing 'In A Little While' with Bono, but I don't think I could reach the high notes." Who finally made his debut in Las Vegas with the band?
Brandon Fuckwit, er, Flowers of The Killers.

theu2fly said:

I think his wish was to sing Pride, but he said he couldn't reach the high notes. So IALW would be ok.

Re: Re: U2 Trivia -- hardcore fans only!!

Axver said:
I was under the impression people thought Xanax And Wine was Miracle Drug's working title when it in fact was not.

Levitate? "Freedom has scent..."

Re: Re: Re: U2 Trivia -- hardcore fans only!!

victor_f said:

Levitate? "Freedom has scent..."

Before Levitate was actually released, I just remember it being rumoured as an ATYCLB working title that some thought was connected to Elevation.

Re: Re: U2 Trivia -- hardcore fans only!!

Axver said:
Promenade, 4th Of July, Elvis Presley And America.

Not to pick nits, but 4th of July was the taped intro music on the UF tour. So while it was never technically PERFORMED, it was HEARD on the tour. Kinda like Grace was never performed on Elevation, but it was played every night as people left the building.

Re: Re: Re: U2 Trivia -- hardcore fans only!!

hibricc said:

Not to pick nits, but 4th of July was the taped intro music on the UF tour. So while it was never technically PERFORMED, it was HEARD on the tour. Kinda like Grace was never performed on Elevation, but it was played every night as people left the building.

I don't think that really counts for much, though.

the title "miracle drug" has been around since the "behind" sessions so I don't think the working title is known.

off the top of my head:

11 O'Clock Tick Tock

Pride

Poland, Lech Waelesia or something (im sorry i butchered the name), something about a coal worker's union

We Love You :laugh: , or Things to Make and DO

Christopher Nolan (?)

Streets, Pride

there were 2: Feedback and The Hype

150,000 in Rome on the Popmart Tour

Milan, Italy

Brandon Flowers

Think I'm hardcore, lets see

11 o'clock tick tock

Pride

Polish solidarity unions???

Levitate

In Gods County & Pride

Hype and Feedback

250,000 fans

Italy.....Milan????

Brandon Flowers

:eyebrow: :drool:

JCOSTER said:
Pride

Actually, Pride was the first song from The Unforgettable Fire to ever be performed live.

1. What song kept U2 from breaking up?

2. What tour did U2 encounter a bomb threat?

3. What 2 songs were debuted on Elevation, that hadn't been played in nearly 10 years both?

4. Name the date of Bono's famous "Dream it up all over again" speech

5. What department did U2 perform in at Kmart?

6. According to Bono, where is Edge from?

7. What album did Bono's lyrics get stolen from, so he had to write them the best from his memory?

8. What is Bono saying before "Pride" in Mexico, 1997?

9. What song did Bono write for his children, but then said he wrote it for his father?

10. What was the rumor of the Vertigo tour, that With or Without You would be?

1. What song kept U2 from breaking up?
One. :mad:

2. What tour did U2 encounter a bomb threat?
Lovetown - 18 November 1989, Sydney.

What 2 songs were debuted on Elevation, that hadn't been played in nearly 10 years both?
Out Of Control and 11 O'clock Tick Tock, though it was actually a little over eleven years when they debuted on Elevation. (11 O'clock Tick Tock's appearance on the ATYCLB Promo Tour was just a month short of the eleven year mark.)

4. Name the date of Bono's famous "Dream it up all over again" speech
30 December 1989, Dublin.

5. What department did U2 perform in at Kmart?
Lingerie.

6. According to Bono, where is Edge from?
The future.

7. What album did Bono's lyrics get stolen from, so he had to write them the best from his memory?
October.

8. What is Bono saying before "Pride" in Mexico, 1997?
He's yelling at someone with what he terms a "firefly". I believe he says something along the lines of "you with the firefly, cut that out" and then declares "we're here to make love!"

9. What song did Bono write for his children, but then said he wrote it for his father?
Kite.

10. What was the rumor of the Vertigo tour, that With or Without You would be?
A radio station claimed Paul McGuinness told them WOWY and Streets were going to segue together.

(1) What southside Dublin suburb did Bono's family live in, before moving to the northside of the city? (according to the book 'The Unforgettable Fire')

(2) Bono believes that he has some Jewish family roots - true or false?

(3) What profession was Adam Clayton's father?

(4) Name the university attended by Paul McGuinness.

(5) Name the band that U2 supported when they played the Top Hat Ballroom (Dublin) in 1978.

(6) Name the German film director whose work was an influence on U2 during the ZooTV period.

(7) What is Gavin Friday's real name?

(8) Bono and the Edge wrote the soundtrack to the Royal Shakespeare Company's 1990 production of what play (based on a novel)?

(9) Name the Irish traditional singer/songwriter that collaborated with Bono and the Edge on the song 'North and South of the River'.

(10) Name the English musician and TV presenter who recorded a version of 'If you wear that Velvet Dress' with Bono.

Ellay said:

Northern Ireland is part of Britain.

I dont want to hijack the tread but just to correct you here. Norhtern ireland isnt part of Britain. Its part of the United Kingdom. Britain is made up of Scotland, England and Wales. Have a look at a UK passort - it says The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland...

Guys I don't mean to be harsh here but I demand answers to my questions above. :wink:

Someone start the ball rolling and just answer a few. Or you'll all die.:mad:

Headache don't bring weiners into it. Weiners are not relevant to the subject point here.

financeguy said:
(1) What southside Dublin suburb did Bono's family live in, before moving to the northside of the city? (according to the book 'The Unforgettable Fire')

(2) Bono believes that he has some Jewish family roots - true or false?

(3) What profession was Adam Clayton's father?

(4) Name the university attended by Paul McGuinness.

(5) Name the band that U2 supported when they played the Top Hat Ballroom (Dublin) in 1978.

(6) Name the German film director whose work was an influence on U2 during the ZooTV period.

(7) What is Gavin Friday's real name?

(8) Bono and the Edge wrote the soundtrack to the Royal Shakespeare Company's 1990 production of what play (based on a novel)?

(9) Name the Irish traditional singer/songwriter that collaborated with Bono and the Edge on the song 'North and South of the River'.

(10) Name the English musician and TV presenter who recorded a version of 'If you wear that Velvet Dress' with Bono.

At work, without reference books, not using Google:

1. Can't give name, but it was closer to city centre.

2. True

3. Airline pilot with British military

4. Trinity

5 ?

6. Wim Wenders

7. Fionán Hanvey

8. A Clockwork Orange

9. Christy Moore

10. Jools Holland

PopDaisy said:
At work, without reference books, not using Google:

1. Can't give name, but it was closer to city centre.

If memory serves correctly in the Dunphy book it says they originally lived in Stillorgan which is about the same distance away from the city centre as the area they moved to (but in opposite directions)

The rest of your answers are 100% correct..well done!

Number 5 is the only one outstanding - any takers?

A fairly well known UK band in the late 70s and early 80s?

financeguy said:

If memory serves correctly in the Dunphy book it says they originally lived in Stillorgan which is about the same distance away from the city centre as the area they moved to (but in opposite directions)

The rest of your answers are 100% correct..well done!

Number 5 is the only one outstanding - any takers?

A fairly well known UK band in the late 70s and early 80s?

It just came to me... the Stranglers?

:)

Back
Top Bottom