U2 Tokyo 1 videoclip ("Streets")

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4U2Play

Refugee
It's almost the one year anniversary of U2's epic trio of Vertigo Tokyo shows, so I thought I'd upload this clip that I shot from the front row:

"Where The Streets Have No Name"

http://www.veoh.com/channels/nicksclips?searchId=7426031414760332422&rank=0

As always, it's best to stop the video and let the thin, gray download bar make its way across the bottom of the video screen before trying to view this, especially if you have a slow computer.

This is the very first videoclip I shot using my new Canon digital camera, so the filming techniques are terrible:

- I missed the beginning of the song
- Too much use of the zoom, which is out of focus anyway
- Filming myself in the crowd = not good

The shakiness during the first 1.40 is due to the crush of humanity jumping up and down at the front rail, and really couldn't be avoided, but it's steadier after that.

The other fans with me on the rail are Tom from London and Georgina from Leeds on my right, and Brad from San Francisco on my left, all maniacal U2 devotees.

What was so cool about those Tokyo shows was that they used the outdoor stage in an indoor setting, with a low stage. Consequently, we got the full lightshow from the big screen, while still feeling intimate with the band when they came to the lip of the stage.

I love how Bono pumps his fists at the beginning of the song, his kiss on Adam's lips before heading out onto the ramp, and the way Edge walks backwards at the end, always facing the audience.

I was also surprised at how passionate and loud the Japanese crowds were. You can really hear them singing along here, and watch how many hands are in the air when I pan backwards, much better than some of the lame ellipse crowds here in the States.

I thought U2 might use Asian flags on the big screen, the way they used South American flags in Mexico, Brasil, Argentina, et al, but they went back to using the African flags instead.

I mixed the original audio with a good bootleg I found at U2torrents, so the sound is decent, good booming bass drum and vocals.

Take care,
Nick

Last edited:
:ohmy: Wow that's cool, thanks a lot!

I haven't seen any of these shows personally, but I have all the bootlegs ... I love those last Vertigo concerts.

last unicorn,

I'm still looking for lossless boots of Tokyo 2 & 3, they haven't appeared on U2Torrents, yet... do you have them, or know where I can get them?

I have a bunch of other video clips from those two shows that I'd like to sync with improved audio sources (I also have a full-length video of Tokyo 3, but with poor sound).

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks

Yeah, that IEM from Tokyo 3 is OK, I just don't like the "flatness" of those recordings, though. I think U2start only has mp3s, is that correct? Which means there are lossless recordings floating around out there, probably in abundance in Japan.

I live in the Tokyo sprawl, and I haven't seen any contemporary bootlegs floating around in any shops, for the record. I don't know where there might be CD-quality jazz floating around...

Back
Top Bottom