U2 Superbowl vs. Prince Superbowl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2FanPeter

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Who was better? Please be specific.

I think Prince flattened U2's performance. Although u2 captured the post 9/11 US better than any actual American.

U2's performance felt more scripted, and I think some of the Beautiful Day vocal was canned(when Bono walked through the crowd.

u2fp

I'm an equal fan of Prince's as I am 2 U2, 4 different reasons. U2 4 more emotional reasons, Prince more 4 the sheer talent of the man.

And as gr8 as the 2002 per4mance by U2 was, I have 2 say that I think Prince's per4mance was probably the best yet at a Super Bowl. Also, take in2 consideration the conditions.... monsoon-like.

That per4mance of "All Along The Watchtower/Best of U" alone was worth the price of admission!!!

u2 2002:

Beautiful Day/MLK/Streets

Prince 2007:

Let's Go Crazy/1999(intro)/Baby, I'm a Star/Proud Mary/Watchtower/Best of Me/Purple Rain

Bonus points for Prince having the TRON Marching Band.

u2fp

I love Prince, was looking forward to his performance and thought it blew. First of all I'm not a big fan of medleys, but even as medleys go some of the transitions were just horrible. Plus I want people to play their own songs(too many covers) and to actually sing, I'm convinced some of Prince's vocals were backing tracks.

I thought Prince was awesome. It appears that all Super Bowl halftimes are all being "scripted" in the same way now-crowd running and acting in the same staged way, same sort of general themes, etc. I liked the covers mixed in and the energy. As for comparing it to U2, apples and oranges. I don't think U2 could have been like Prince in light of the more somber tone of theirs-for that reason it had to be more "scripted". U2 isn't like Prince anyway, but they are both very good live performers.

Prince's performance blew until Purple Rain. Yeah, throughout he rocked the guitar, but his voice was lost, Let's Go Crazy was too short, and then he covered "The Best Of You" by the Foo Fighters? Why?? Do your own stuff! Actually, I wonder if the covers medley was scripted or he was just up there improvising?

If Prince had done the entire Let's Go Crazy followed by Little Red Corvette with a snippet of Purple Rain for the crowd participation, I would have at least enjoyed it. This mess though...

Absolutely buried by U2's performance.

Last edited:
Prince released a radio only version of "Best of Me" a couple weeks ago. It was played by Howard Stern apparently. Could be counted as his new single.

Foo Fighter covered Darling Nikki a couple years ago.

u2fp

omg, I thought Prince was fantastic...yeah, I agree about how 'all along the watchtower...' alone was worth the admission price, as it were...

I love looking at the tape of the U2 superbowl gig, but I never saw it live and so missed some of its impact as performance. Still, they were so necessarily different in context. The 2002 Superbowl almost didn't happen because of 9/11, we were a nation in deep mourning still and wondering indeed if the Superbowl itself was safe from attack.
The emotional impact of U2's performance was huge. It might have felt less spontaneous, but there's no way it couldn't have and still achieved what it did, what it needed to, as spectacle and statement.
I thought Prince actually made use of some aspects of U2's performance feel in his...
and surely his apparent spontaneity was really very carefully rehearsed of course.
He just gave a kick-ass performance, and did it in incredibly challenging conditions and really just so confidently took that stadium over.
I also just loved it that he included stuff like 'watchtower' and 'proud mary' and such.
It was a great identity-politics moment in its way. Prince messes with that, androgynous and african-american and unapologetic...
and this was a superbowl where finally finally african-american coaches got to play, got to get past identity-politics barriers and play.
I thought it was just great, and tasteful, and the danger factor and the wet factor altogether :drool:

cheers!
edit: but since you asked for a real choice, I'd still go with U2!
It was more beautiful and technically pleasing, despite some highlight moments from Prince (I agree a lot of his vocals were hard to hear or weird). U2's show almost belongs in a special category because it was so much more than merely a superbowl halftime show given the circumstances.
Still, Prince beat the pants off all the shows since U2!

Last edited:
U2FanPeter said:
Who was better? Please be specific.

I think Prince flattened U2's performance. Although u2 captured the post 9/11 US better than any actual American.

U2's performance felt more scripted, and I think some of the Beautiful Day vocal was canned(when Bono walked through the crowd.

u2fp

"Scripted"?

Which artist had multiple peformers and an entire University marching band?

In contrast, U2 had, U2, the same people who played the Ritz in 1980, the Limerick talent contest in March 1978!

U2's performance was a mini-concert, Prince's performance was a show using all kinds of things including other peoples music.

Re: Re: U2 Superbowl vs. Prince Superbowl

STING2 said:
"Scripted"?

At least 1/3 of Prince's set was him having his way on his guitar. The cover song section in the middle was just his band.

Which artist had multiple peformers and an entire University marching band?

Who had their 3 song set click tracked to a backing tape or a musician hiding under the stage?

In contrast, U2 had, U2, the same people who played the Ritz in 1980, the Limerick talent contest in March 1978!

The Stones had 3 original members and a core lineup that has been together since '74. Does that make it better than U2?

U2's performance was a mini-concert, Prince's performance was a show using all kinds of things including other peoples music.

Bono had a the flag of another country sewn into his jacket lining and the names of the casualties from 9/11 sorted alphabetically from A-D!!!!

I'll have to check the setlists, but I think U2 have covered other peoples songs in concert.

u2fp

Yes, U2 have played covers, but they didnt at the Super Bowl like Prince did and I thought that is what was being discussed here?

I have seen Prince twice in concert. Once on the Purple Rain tour and once in 95 or 96 when he was going as "The Artist". Purple Rain tour was great, did have a few medley sections but played most of the hits all the way through on that one. The 2nd time, a major disappointment. The whole concert was a medley. Didnt play more than 1 verse and chorus of just about any song. Thought it blew.

I see his Super Bowl performance as a mix of both. Thought some of it was great, thought some of it blew. I like Prince, definately a talented guy. But to compare it to U2's performance really is pointless. U2's performance was more than for entertainment due to its timing. Its that simple. Prince's was just about entertainment, period.

Also, I dont get the analogy of the scrolling 911 names to Prince playing covers? :scratch:

I saw Prince("The Artist" as it says on the ticket stub) in 1997 and it was one of the weirdest concerts I ever attended. Your review of a mid 90's Prince show is not that far off from what i experienced.

<<analogy of scrolling names of 9/11>>

Prince namechecked Dylan(or Hendrix) Foo Fighters and Ike & Tina(or CCR) while U2 quoted the the US flag and 9/11 names.

U2FanPeter said:
<<analogy of scrolling names of 9/11>>

Prince namechecked Dylan(or Hendrix) Foo Fighters and Ike & Tina(or CCR) while U2 quoted the the US flag and 9/11 names.

Not trying to start anything but that is an incredibly weak analogy. U2 used those "symbols" due to the timing, they had a specific purpose and meaning. How is that comparable to Prince name checking other artists? The quote you responded to on that was Prince using gimmicks, such as explosions, a marching band (with electric glow sticks pasted on them :huh: ). What was the special meaning behind Prince's stuff?

The Disciple said:
I'm an equal fan of Prince's as I am 2 U2, 4 different reasons. U2 4 more emotional reasons, Prince more 4 the sheer talent of the man.

And as gr8 as the 2002 per4mance by U2 was, I have 2 say that I think Prince's per4mance was probably the best yet at a Super Bowl. Also, take in2 consideration the conditions.... monsoon-like.

That per4mance of "All Along The Watchtower/Best of U" alone was worth the price of admission!!!

What, do you think you're Prince or something, typing like that? I recommend typing out words in full. It's exciting and fun!

I thought Prince was great, and he's The Man, but I thought U2 was better overall, even if it doesn't measure up against other big U2 performances. Prince was definitely better than the game or the commercials. And it's Prince! You can't go wrong.

And I don't buy complaining about backing tracks or anything. Doesn't everything have a backing track at the Superbowl as a "just in case"? Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe they don't do it anymore.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: U2 Superbowl vs. Prince Superbowl

U2FanPeter said:

At least 1/3 of Prince's set was him having his way on his guitar. The cover song section in the middle was just his band.

Who had their 3 song set click tracked to a backing tape or a musician hiding under the stage?

The Stones had 3 original members and a core lineup that has been together since '74. Does that make it better than U2?

Bono had a the flag of another country sewn into his jacket lining and the names of the casualties from 9/11 sorted alphabetically from A-D!!!!

I'll have to check the setlists, but I think U2 have covered other peoples songs in concert.

u2fp

Yeah, Prince having his way on the guitar, sure. What, did he do something different from the rehearsal?

I have no problem with The Police playing with some limited backing music tracks or U2 playing with some for some songs and its been proven not to at all detract from their live performance. The backing is minimal and both bands have done such songs with and without such backing, with little noticable difference, and to compare that to the Prince orgy fest is ridiculuos.

I don't see how comparing the Stones and U2 would be the same as comparing Prince and his entourage of hired help at the Superbowl to U2.

I see nothing wrong with showing support for a country that has been a victim of terrorism, what did Prince do to show his support on Sunday?

I saw both Superbowls which is what were comparing, and I believe Prince's performance was half other peoples songs and then half his own. U2 did not cover anyone elses songs during their performance.

Re: Re: Re: Re: U2 Superbowl vs. Prince Superbowl

STING2 said:
I see nothing wrong with showing support for a country that has been a victim of terrorism, what did Prince do to show his support on Sunday?

He came out and healed our nation with his awesome purpleness.

:rockon:

Blue Room said:
What was the special meaning behind Prince's stuff? [/B]

Purple Rain - It was a rainy day

Bedsheet silhouette with possible Phallic and/or devil's tail imagary was a nod to Janet's appearance.

Ikettes and the do-rag on his head could be nod to the first ever black NFL coach in the Superbowl(confirmation from anyone that actually watched the game???)

It was Florida on a rainy day - just like Dylans "Hard Rain " tv special in 1976 - where Bob wore a do-rag. An impressionable Prince would have watched that network TV special when he was 16.

"Proud Mary" may have been a nod to the Mississippi delta

Prince's Blue and Orange attire may have shown alligiance to his favourite team.

Lights and marching band - Prince was always about excess.

I think you're reading way too much into the stuff from his performance.

He didn't do Purple Rain at the spur of the moment. Nothing at the Superbowl performances happens at the spur of the moment - Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction included. :wink:

I can't provide a better explanation for the do-rag, but Prince has always been a little eccentric. I'd say that's the reason as opposed to a nod to Dylan.

And I don't know that a do-rag would be the best way to pay homage to the first black NFL coach in the Superbowl.

I'll give you the Mississippi Delta reference, though. I could buy that.

U2's performance still makes me teary.

Prince performance was fantastic, but the setlist was a bit of a mess.

Flag jacket concert FTW :up:

corianderstem said:
I think you're reading way too much into the stuff from his performance.

He didn't do Purple Rain at the spur of the moment. Nothing at the Superbowl performances happens at the spur of the moment - Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction included. :wink:

I can't provide a better explanation for the do-rag, but Prince has always been a little eccentric. I'd say that's the reason as opposed to a nod to Dylan.

And I don't know that a do-rag would be the best way to pay homage to the first black NFL coach in the Superbowl.

I'll give you the Mississippi Delta reference, though. I could buy that.

What about the silhouette?

The 2002 Super Bowl, from the pregame, first half, halftime, 2nd half, all the way through, was the best...ever. Nothing can compare to it. The Prince performance, to me, was sort of all over the place, and somewhat over the top. That's Prince though...if U2 had done a halftime during the Zoo/Pop era it probably would have been excessive, too.

But all the covers? Prince has enough material not to need that. Granted nothing anybody knows since the late '80s, but he still has enough.

u2's 2002 super bowl performance was the right performance by the right band at the right time. the emotional factor of it being right after 9/11 is what makes it so special. take the aside, and it really wasn't anything special, per say...

based on performance and performance alone, prince's half time show was much better.

... but you can't base it on performance alone. you have to include the timing of it as well, which is what lifts u2's performance up to another level.

i personally think prince was better... but which ever way you lean, they're certainly #1 and #2 on the all time super bowl half time list in my eyes.

Back
Top Bottom