U2 style: "Sex, drugs and Rock ´n roll" ?? !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrasilLovesU2

The Fly
This is the style that best describes old and famous rock and roll bands like: Rolling Stones, Sex Pistols, the Clash, ... but I don´t agree it describes U2 style since we can´t find "drugs" in all U2 history since now....:rockon:

Any idea???? Could be: " LOVE, PEACE AND ROCK `N ROLL" ???:up: :scratch:

There have been a few mentions of drugs, like peyote when they were in the Southwest, but yeah, I don't think they really personify the 'rock and roll lifestyle' - thank god - it makes 'em stand out from the crowd a bit. But they ARE human - I'm sure they've had their share of the first two; they're just more discrete than most.

Adam was busted for marijuana possession in the late 80s.

Bono was rumored to once have a cocaine habit "the size of Rhode Island."

The Edge has eaten psychedelic mushrooms on occasion.

I would say they could be described with:

(Lite) Sex, (Lite) Drugs & Rock'n'Roll.

Well I'm sure they still fall in the category, they just aren't obvious canidates. For the most part the sex has been with wives or longtime girlfriends with the exception of Adam there for awhile. The drugs have been there, just not a key factor(and believe me you've just opened up a pandora's box) there's Adam's pot use, Edge's admitted shroom use, plenty of booze, and probably quite a few other dabblings. And the Rock n Roll? Well that's questionable. :wink:

pacemaker said:

Really?! I've never heard that? But I don't pay a whole lot of attention to their personal lives, either. Was it in the 80's?

pacemaker said:

So would the smallest state of the U.S. really be considered a habit? I mean if he had a habit the size of Texas that would be worrisome, but really nothing larger Ohio is really worth mentioning.

There were rumors that the band did some experimenting with E while making the Pop album. I forget where I heard that.

Drugs in rock and rock is such a fad, and im glad they have mainly stayed clear.

If the band were heavily into drugs I cant see that they would still be together today. They've really held it together and I think just about every muscian is going to dabble a little in this and that at some point or another. I dont really think its a big deal.

(Lite) Sex, (Lite) Drugs & Rock'n'Roll.

Haha yeah :up:

I'm sure that all 4 members have been exposed to drugs at some point as younger men. Young, lots of money, famous, virtually no consequences for their actions... I'm sure some drugs were consumed, albeit in a limited form. Anybody who believes they didn't dable into drugs is too neive for their own good.

letsdocokeat7.jpg

I won´t talk about the past of the boys but I believe that U2 audience in live shows doesn´t behave like the others band audience in terms of "drugs" and this make really the difference. :cute:

Parents can take their children to U2 shows if they want because they know they won´t have problems, differently from others rock shows, that´s why I agree that U2 style is not "SEX, DRUGS AND ROCK `N ROLL".

:applaud: :applaud:

I wouldn´t mention the early days of U2 but I believe that U2 audience in live shows does not behave like most of rock and roll bands audience in terms of drugs during the shows and this makes really the difference.
U2 fans are different because the band behaves differently from others. If parents want to take children at the shows they know they won´t have problems related to audience misbehave. Why ?? Because this is the message of U2... just peace and love !! NO DRUGS AT ALL :applaud: :applaud:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

So would the smallest state of the U.S. really be considered a habit? I mean if he had a habit the size of Texas that would be worrisome, but really nothing larger Ohio is really worth mentioning.

You say it, but i challenge you to snort all of Rhode Island

cristivox said:
I wouldn´t mention the early days of U2 but I believe that U2 audience in live shows does not behave like most of rock and roll bands audience in terms of drugs during the shows and this makes really the difference.
U2 fans are different because the band behaves differently from others. If parents want to take children at the shows they know they won´t have problems related to audience misbehave. Why ?? Because this is the message of U2... just peace and love !! NO DRUGS AT ALL :applaud: :applaud:

What the fuck??!

Um. yeahhhh. ok moving right along!

The U2 PR image is so tightly controlled that i doubt we would even know anything about the boys private lives. Drugs? well Bono has exactly aged gracefully, his skin alone says he may have done drugs, but then again, heavy smoking can age you as well. Sex? I'm not going there - I have heard many a rumor about the B-man (an I'm not talking about the obvious ones like Andrea Corr) . I think they keep their image saintly because many of their fans prefer U2 like this. But behind the halo's are some devils :wink:

cristivox said:

I dunno...I think I smelled more pot at the U2 show I saw back in 2005 than at the two Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) shows I saw in 06/07. And Pink Floyd fans are notorious for being potheads.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

And many many other things, including... well age. :|

You read my mind. The man's creeping up on 50. I don't think he looks a whole hell of a lot younger or older than his age, frankly.

I'm sure all 4 fucked around with different things, to different degrees....but if they were heavy users, there's no way in hell all 4 would have lasted this long, in my opinion.

I remember at the Anaheim show one guy in his mid-50s tried to pass around a joint. 10 people who were offered all said no. He seemed mystified. I wasn't.

Look up "Drugs, views on" under the guys' names in the index of U2 by U2.

I honestly don't think that any of the guys have secret drug addictions. Sure, they've probably tried some drugs at one point or another, but they are way too sane and healthy to be -- or ever have been -- heavy users.

Look at Adam as a sort of barometer: he looks older than the other three because of his "wild" life (which probably wasn't as wild as other rock stars' lives) that mostly involved smoking a lot of various things. Now if Bono, for instance, was half as involved in that sort of thing, wouldn't he be looking more like Adam? (I'm not saying Adam looks really old, just older than the others.)

In other words, if they've been doing a lot of stuff, it would be showing by now.

Adam may look older, but he sure is aging more gracefully than Bono.

I would love to do shrooms with the Edge. Maybe re-discover the secrets of the universe with him. And record a bunch of weird music. Or, y'know, just loaf around and be semi-interested in a lot of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom