U2 songs to play when you hit rock bottom and feel like complete shit.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Listen to All That You Can't Leave Behind.

Contrary to popular belief, this is one thing Achtung Baby isn't good at. That's why I prefer ATYCLB.

depends if you want to - I never listen to 'uplifting' music in those situations?

I'm far more of a Stay, Running To Stand Still sort of person - If you were after that, do you have the Omagh tribute version of North And South Of The River?

dandy said:
go grab the unforgettable fire and get completely and utterly lost in its beauty.
I absolutely agree!!!!...... I usually listen to Streets as well...

What about songs for when you just want to wallow in self misery and not be picked up? Cos I tend to look to other bands when I feel like this (which isn't often I should point out :wink: )

{paintedroses} said:
I'll let you off cos you have 1111 as your post count, and thats a cool number :wink:

And when you posted that, it was 11:11 AM (in my time zone at least). :ohmy:

But yeah, Walk On's usually good for that type of moment. Hope you feel better soon, Halifax. :hug:

I have to say, there is NOTHING in U2's catalog that works for me when I hit complete rock bottom. To me there is no song that bad, that sad, that does it. I guess One Step Closer is the closest thing. I have used that.

When I'm depressed, I get myself lost in Pop. That album is like its own planet. I go to another place when I listen to it.

However, if you want a song that will uplift you...for me, it's Where the Streets Have No Name. I honestly can't listen to that song and not smile, no matter how bad I feel. That single song is more uplifting than the entire album of ATYCLB, though the first 4 songs of ATYCLB can help lift you up too.

LIB. It doesn't help in the slightest but I guess it's some sort of catharsis. If you want uplift I'd suggest Walk On, Stuck (the lyrics always make me feel better), Vertigo (singing along helps, hehe) and Discotheque for some boom chas. Better yet watch that video and it cheers you up!

U2Kitten said:
I have to say, there is NOTHING in U2's catalog that works for me when I hit complete rock bottom. To me there is no song that bad, that sad, that does it. I guess One Step Closer is the closest thing. I have used that.

:hug: I hear ya. When you're that low, when optimism doesn't help, there isn't a U2 song that fits the situation or mood. Staring at the Sun has come closest to working for me.

I think it depends on what's causing you to feel this way. Break-up with a b/f or g/f? Your team lose? Lost your job? Someone ill? Loss of a family member? Loss of a pet? Accident? Hurt yourself? Crappy job with mean boss? Do poorly on a test? All of these can make you feel like crap, yet I don't think the same U2 songs will cover all emotions.

If you need uplifting, then I recommend uplifting soaring songs - the type that fill you with hope, like many from UF, JT and ATYCLB, like "Streets", TUF, and "Beautiful Day". If you need something more rocking just because you are feeling down today, then "Pride", "Desire", "Vertigo", "Gloria", "Elevation" and "I Will Follow" should blast you out of those blues. But if you need a feeling of comfort because of a break-up, songs like "One", "Acrobat", "A Man and a Woman", and "Ultraviolet" may work.

I often find, too, that hearing the live versions helps even more. Hearing the R&H era Bono soar on "With or Without You", listening to the ZOO TV Bono and Edge pound out "Mysterious Way", loving the playful sincerity on "Until the End of the World" from the Elevation U2, or tackling the world with the Vertigo U2 on "Love and Peace or Else" sure helps - especially with an appreciative crowd. And don't forget - Bono's operatic part on "Miss Sarajevo" always brings me chills and gets a crowd going. :up:

I hope you feel better soon! And I'm sure there's some U2 for you somewhere!

My first instinct was to say Pride or Streets, but then I remembered how my life went down the toilet not long after Achtung Baby came out and I always got comfort out of the line from Acrobat, "Don't let the bastards grind you down." I know, it's bizarre because that is such a dark song, but that one line was such a ray of hope for me.

COBL_04 said:
Listen to All That You Can't Leave Behind.

Contrary to popular belief, this is one thing Achtung Baby isn't good at. That's why I prefer ATYCLB.

Aaaamen!

Bono's shades said:
My first instinct was to say Pride or Streets, but then I remembered how my life went down the toilet not long after Achtung Baby came out and I always got comfort out of the line from Acrobat, "Don't let the bastards grind you down." I know, it's bizarre because that is such a dark song, but that one line was such a ray of hope for me.

:yes: I should have mentioned Acrobat...I have been listening to that song a LOT lately... it's like all my anger and frustrations poured all into one song. I've always loved the song, but never like I do now. Now I understand why EVERYONE wants this song to be played live more than any other song.

No, nothing makes sense
Nothing seems to fit
I know you'd hit out
If you only knew who to hit

:heart:

Perfect!

Zootlesque said:
No, nothing makes sense
Nothing seems to fit
I know you'd hit out
If you only knew who to hit

:heart:

Perfect!

And I'd join the movement
If there was one I could believe in
Yeah, I'd break bread and wine
If there was a church I could receive in
'cause I need it now...
To take the cup
To fill it up
To drink it slow
Can't let you go

U2 basically took everything I've ever felt and put it in one song, yep.

Back
Top Bottom