U2 Songs That Many People Seem to Dislike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Of these repeat offender songs, which one is your least favorite?

• Red Light

Votes: 29 24.2%
  • Elvis Presley and America

Votes: 24 20.0%
  • Love is Blindness

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • When I Look at the World

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Discotheque

Votes: 12 10.0%
  • Miami

Votes: 27 22.5%
  • Van Diemen's Land

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • If You Wear That Velvet Dress

Votes: 5 4.2%

• Total voters
well scattero, my sense of humour would be over there in England, so no, I've never been able to find it

but I do find you amusing, but you're right, that's not the same thing

I couldn't possibly have picked Van Diemen's Land...its words are like a Robert Burns poem.

Hold me now, oh hold me now
Until this hour has gone around
And I'm gone on the rising tide
For to face Van Diemen's Land

It's a bitter pill I swallow here
To be rent from one so dear
We fought for justice and not for gain
But the magistrate sent me away...

For a long time I thought that the song had actually been adapted from a poem. Just like a lot of you can't understand why I HATE Love is Blindness, I don't know how anyone can not like Van Diemen's Land.

I chose Red Light, I don't hate it but it's not one of my favorites either. I'm not terribly fond of Elvis Presely and America, When I Look At the Wordl, or Miami either.
How on earth could you dislike Love is Blindness, Van Dieman's Land, or If you Wear that Velvet Dress? Those are some of my favorite U2 songs!!!
I could see how people could dislike Discotheque, although I am quite fond of it.

*votes Refugee if she could*

[edit] I love the lyrics of Van Diemen's Land too. Beautiful lyrics, beautiful melody. I'm just not too fond of Edge's singing in the song. Well... but there're people like Refugee too, so I guess that's just the matter of taste. You can dislike/like it, but you can't say people who oppose your view 'have a bad taste'.[/edit]

Last edited:
Most of my favorite songs are on that list. :huh:

So I picked Red Light, not because I dislike it but because out of all those great songs, it was the one I like the least.

I picked Van Deimen's. It's weird and uncomfortable for me. :|

BTW Stateless is an awesome song :madspit:

I can say there is only one song U2's done that i've really disliked. and that is the cover of Paint It Black :barf:

sulawesigirl4 said:
Most of my favorite songs are on that list. :huh:

So I picked Red Light, not because I dislike it but because out of all those great songs, it was the one I like the least.

Same here.

And olive, I'm SO with you on Paint it Black. Honestly, it's the only U2 song I can't even bear to listen to all the way through. *shudder*

oliveu2cm said:
I can say there is only one song U2's done that i've really disliked. and that is the cover of Paint It Black :barf:

I do like that cover!:madspit: As well as Fortunate Son!

Couldn't vote either. I love Elvis Presley and America.

doctorwho said:
I couldn't vote in your poll. All of those songs are brilliant compared to "Trip Through Your Wires" - which is not in your poll.

Awww, really? :( I love Trip Through Your Wires. The live version is awesome too!

When I Look At The World is one of favourite U2 songs. The only one U2 song that I really dislike is UF. I dont know why, it just never clicked with me.

zoomerang II said:
i kind of dislike the wanderer, but on the poll i went for miami, even tho i dont mind it lyric wise.

velvet dress and love is blindness should not be on any such list!!

Oh, yeah...I always skip "The Wanderer." Not a really big Johnny Cash fan...Oh, well...Maybe if Bono sang the song I would like it.

Oh, yeah...I always skip "The Wanderer." Not a really big Johnny Cash fan...

ROB: What's that guy's name again?

MIKEY: Sue.

ROB: Sue?

MIKEY: Yeah, you know, his dad was a big Johnny Cash fan.

--from the film Swingers

Last edited:
wertsie said:
Oh, yeah...I always skip "The Wanderer." Not a really big Johnny Cash fan...Oh, well...Maybe if Bono sang the song I would like it.
how would having Bono sing it make it a musch better song?

the lyrics would remain the same
the melody would remain the same
the music would remain the same
the backing vocals would remain the same

--> most of the song would remain the same

and that would be no problem for me, because I
LOVE that song

I voted for EP & America. That song bombed, I refuse to ever play it. Red Light was OK, standard rock song with a nice tat tada part in the middle. The Refugee was far worse on War.
Can't understand why everybody disses Discotheque. That song made me fall in love again with U2 when I was getting turned off by all their flirtation with dance music. A kick ass rock song with some good guitarwork. Just like Miami.

Just wanted to say I really like WILATW. It's got some excellent musical work in it and I love the way Bono sings. I also love Love is Blindness.

staitluss blows

oliveu2cm said:
I picked Van Deimen's. It's weird and uncomfortable for me. :|

BTW Stateless is an awesome song :madspit:

Stateless :barf::barf:is an awesome song if you want U2 to go the direction of Barry Manilow or Air Supply.

Paint it Black actually rocked a bit, not a bad b-side cover:up:

and Van Diemen's Land was a very sweet moving traditional sounding little song. Special because it was sung by Edge and it's rare he ever sings like that.

If you don't like Van Diemens Land, your ears must be broken:yes:

Yikes!

"When I Look At the World" is one of my favourite songs off of All That You Can't Leave Behind because it summons this bizarre feeling of reminiscence. It's an epilogue... something you'd hear as the credits roll up the screen at the end of a "The Career of U2" TV special...

"If You Wear That Velvet Dress" is one of my favourite U2 songs...

Songs I'd rather not listen to are definitely Trip Through Your Wire (obnoxious country music, albeit done by U2, but I *REALLY* have to be in the mood to actually go out of my way to listen to that one. I don't think I've EVER listened to that song by choice)

The Refugee is rather annoying, so good point. "Wha-ahh-oh..."

Red Light is cacaphony... I mean, it's catchy, but it has that dated 80's Irish/British music scene sound... and the female "da-da-da's" are... well, they're not U2, but in retrospect, Red Light wouldn't be the cheese-fest that it is without them. All that's missing is a cheesy video with poofy hair and eyeliner.

The Playboy Mansion is fine up until "Then will there be no time for sorrow..." - by then the song is just dragging... it's puts me to sleep.

Discotheque is great while driving along the highway. That's one song I don't mind.

Van Dieman's Land is another great song... one that I don't listen to too often, but it's definitely not a part of U2's worst. (And I also agree, Heartland is a wonderful R&H song... it's one of my favourite U2 songs)

Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I rarely would listen to Wake Up Dead Man. It's a decent song, but it does nothing for me. And Bono's voice near the end of the song kind of kills the song for me.

Salome said:
how would having Bono sing it make it a musch better song?

the lyrics would remain the same
the melody would remain the same
the music would remain the same
the backing vocals would remain the same

--> most of the song would remain the same

and that would be no problem for me, because I
LOVE that song

Because I really don't like Johnny Cash's voice. It's just...BLAH...But that's just my opinion.

I don't know. If I had heard Bono sing it, I think I'd have a better answer for you.

wertsie said:

Because I really don't like Johnny Cash's voice. It's just...BLAH...But that's just my opinion.

I don't know. If I had heard Bono sing it, I think I'd have a better answer for you.
umm, probably yes

Discotheque is just a dumb, dumb, dumb song. It's also god-awful like you said. Isn't it the only one on the list that was released as a single? Is there any other SINGLE that is worse?

I also do not like Miami or Refugee. i can't listen to either one of them. Refugee is a lame song and it's also a lame status. Why do we have to be refugees for 1500 posts? Why does the lamest status last the longest? Can't we be turned into something cool at 1500? How about wanderers?

Back
Top Bottom