U2 song pulled form radio....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZOOTB

Acrobat
September 17, 2001
YouTwo.net note: In a recent Rolling Stone magazine article,
it was mentioned that Clear Channel controlled
approximately 30% of the United States' radio stations.

From Radio Undercover:

Clear Channel radio network calls
Beatles, Elton John and others
lyrically questionable

American radio network Clear Channel has removed songs
by The Beatles, Elton John, Queen and U2 from their
playlist after last Tuesday's World Trade Center attack.

Songs considered "lyrically questionable" by Clear Channel
programmers include The Beatles 'A Day In The Life', Elton
John's 'Rocket Man', Queen's 'Another One Bites The Dust'
and U2's 'Sunday Bloody Sunday'.

Clear Channel are the world's largest radio network and
have recommended 150 songs be withdrawn from their
radio network playlists.

Also on the list, The Bangles 'Walk Like An Egyptian', Jerry
Lee Lewis 'Great Balls Of Fire' and Kansas 'Dust In The
Wind' have been taken off the air.

Clear Channel own radio stations all over the world and
control the Australian Radio Network with major ownership
of stations MIX and WSFM in Sydney and MIXFM and
GOLD FM in Melbourne.

Make's you wonder if U2 will take certain songs out of 3rd leg that have been on setlist in 1st and 2nd leg, like BTBS and SBS......

[This message has been edited by ZOOTB (edited 09-17-2001).]

That's very clever of them isn't it?

So what will that leave them to play on their play lists?
The bubblegum band songs whose dancing ability is sometimes better than the lyric of their songs (who someone else writes for them anyway)?
Or how about those songs with constant explicit language and the message to go out and kill everyone and destroy everything?

?? I would have thought if any song was pulled, it would be New York, not SBS! SBS is a good song for us now, it was written by young Irish guys who lived their lives with the reality of terrorism in their own counnty. I think it is a caring and inspirational song not just of protest of terrorism but of hope! Keep SBS!

Really, NO song should be pulled, because none of those artists had any idea of this current situation or meant any harm when they were written. Someone is reading too much into songs.

------------------
"Walk On, stay safe tonight"

I read that on youtwo.net and think it's outrageous! Sunday Bloody Sunday is more appropriate than ever. If nothing else it lets us in the U.S. know that we are not alone in experiencing this sort of thing. It helps to know that others have felt the pain and gone on.

Some of the other songs they are pulling are just ridiculous. What do they think we are, 2 year olds? I am going to find out which stations that I listen to are Clear Channel and write a letter and change some stations on my radio.

I hope U2 doesn't take songs out of their playlist unless it's to make room for something else they want to play. Many of their songs are resonating more with Americans now than they did before.

I agree with you u2utah. Why aren't you on PLEBA any more, we could use some of your drool pics right now!

------------------
"Walk On, stay safe tonight"

I think it's sad that one company has this much power to influence what should be played and what should not be played on 30% of American radio stations.

"Oh what a difference....a day makes..."

Melon

------------------
How long must we sing this song?!

OK I understand Rocket Man & Another One Bites The Dust, and maybe Dust In The Wind and obviously Great Balls Of Fire... but A Day In The Life & Sunday Bloody Sunday??? Sunday Bloody Sunday is a song proclaiming one's outrage about a horrific event, how is that inturn inapropriate? It's the first song I listened to after all this broke. I'm from New York, I know people who were in the towers at the time of the attack, I know firemen and policemen who lost their lives trying to save the lives of others... and I think the only thing inapropriate here is Clear Channel Communication's Nazi Censorship of a song protesting violence.

I can't believe the news today
Oh, I can't close my eyes
And make it go away
How long...
How long must we sing this song?
How long? How long...
'cause tonight...we can be as one
Tonight...

Broken bottles under children's feet
Bodies strewn across the dead end street
But I won't heed the battle call
It puts my back up
Puts my back up against the wall

Sunday, Bloody Sunday
Sunday, Bloody Sunday
Sunday, Bloody Sunday

And the battle's just begun
There's many lost, but tell me who has won
The trench is dug within our hearts
And mothers, children, brothers, sisters
Torn apart

Sunday, Bloody Sunday
Sunday, Bloody Sunday

How long...
How long must we sing this song?
How long? How long...
'cause tonight...we can be as one
Tonight...tonight...

Sunday, Bloody Sunday
Sunday, Bloody Sunday

Wipe the tears from your eyes
Wipe your tears away
Oh, wipe your tears away
Oh, wipe your tears away
(Sunday, Bloody Sunday)
Oh, wipe your blood shot eyes
(Sunday, Bloody Sunday)

Sunday, Bloody Sunday (Sunday, Bloody Sunday)
Sunday, Bloody Sunday (Sunday, Bloody Sunday)

And it's true we are immune
When fact is fiction and TV reality
And today the millions cry
We eat and drink while tomorrow they die

(Sunday, Bloody Sunday)

The real battle just begun
To claim the victory Jesus won
On...

Sunday Bloody Sunday
Sunday Bloody Sunday...

Singing along to SBS has helped me get my anger out of my system, but I can see why it was pulled.
Lyrics like "Broken bottles under children's feet
Bodies strewn across the dead end street" are crude but the song also has hopeful lyrics like, 'cause tonight...we can be as one
Tonight...' and 'The real battle just begun
To claim the victory Jesus won
On...'

Regardless of what song it is there's no excuse to pull them off their playlista. There's other ways of dealing with this, such as just not playing unless requested. That is such bullshit, I would find more offensive to hear N'sync songs that have no content in them during these times than to listen to a song commenting about it. Gosh I've been having grudges with that company since the begining of time (they own ticketmaster and SFX too btw) and this isn't helping.

p.s. I also don't agree with films being pulled off the shelves/theaters because they contain scenes shot in the WTC, if people don't want to see it they won't

So much for freedom of speech!

[This message has been edited by mbi16 (edited 09-17-2001).]

Oh come on! SBS was written YEARS ago..about terrorism in Ireland. It's a memorial to all the fighting there, not to the deaths of the WTC victims. It was the first song i listened to after the attacks, and if anything, shpuld be played more. It gives a sense that people WILL get through this difficult time...fighting is not they answer, etc, etc, etc.

Is this for real??? Jesus, I thought this was a free country. What a bunch of shit.

------------------
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

I'm sorry but this is serious OVERreaction. Jerry Lee Lewis' "Great Balls of Fire"? Its almost 40 yrs old, had nothing to do with this(none of the mentioned songs do obviously)...if people can't discern that for themselves, we have a country that is way lacking intellectually.

What a pathetic attempt at being 'compassionate'. That solves nothing, thousands are still dead. These great songs are at fault? Riiiight.

I think they are just being sensitive to the situation. Come on....if a DJ was updating you on the New York scenario and then played "Another One Bites the Dust"....wouldn't you think that to be distasteful and rude. I think they are just trying to ensure that the station doesn't come across as insensitive.

Now, I do agree with all of you that Sunday Bloody Sunday should not be on the removal list.

Originally posted by Hewson:
...if people can't discern that for themselves, we have a country that is way lacking intellectually.

LOL! I've been very patriotic the past few days, but my oh my I won't hide my head in the sand when it comes to our own domestic issues (i'm not implying that you are btw, i've just taken your quote to comment on). The sad, sad truth is that we are a nation of mostly uninformed idiots. We're trained to not think for ourselves and certaintly not take responsibility for our own thoughts and actions. I laugh only because this is so very terribly painfully obvious. Most americans are upwards of 90% mindless and can be controlled very easily. I'm sorry, I'll stop. It is sad to see Clear Channel pulling any songs off of the radio. Excuse me, since when did they become the Thought Police!? Oh yeah - my bad - they are media moguls, sorry.

I'm afraid this is just PC gone mad.

And of all the songs... Sunday Bloody Sunday would be the one that SHOULD be played more often!!

Some people...

rejoicing fan:
A NY DJ would not play Another One Bites The Dust! Clear Channel is being way too fuckin PC! They are making the wrong decision! Send a message to Clear Channel and their sponsers: Boycott their stations!
What the fuck does Elton John's Rocket Man have to do with the WTC crash? "Nothing" is the answer.

------------------
The goal is ELEVATION!

Originally posted by MrPryck2U:
If Clear Channel is indeed pulling these songs from their playlists, then there's only one course of action: Boycott their stations!

Hehe...considering I don't listen to any radio stations, it's quite easy to accomplish for myself.

Melon

------------------

If this really is what's going on you can contact them at clearchannel.com. That's probably the best way to let them know how you feel.

Originally posted by U2Kitten:
I agree with you u2utah. Why aren't you on PLEBA any more, we could use some of your drool pics right now!

I've been too busy. I've only recently come back to Feedback because of the upcoming leg of the tour. I've checked out PLEBA, but haven't had time to dig up any more pics, but I'll see you on PLEBA soon
smile.gif

Thanks for the website ti-hua. I'm definately going to let them know what I think about the situation.

[This message has been edited by u2utah (edited 09-17-2001).]

Yeah, I read this and it's completelely fucking stupid. but then again there's been a lot of completely stupid things going on in the aftermath so it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise eh?

I can sort of understand why they might have problems with the song.. they read the name and didn't listen to it, or they had their heads caught up their asses.

Another thing that made me even more confused... a confused reporter on much music reported that another one of the other songs banned was Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World". WHAT THE FUCK? is optimism disallowed or something? these guys are on serious serious dumb drugs.

another reason why I don't listen to the radio....

------------------
To use the old hippy saying, it ain't where you're from, it's where you're at. And right now. If you're listening to this CD, you're already watching the sunset in your mind, feeling the heat on your skin and whilling away the hours. Simply chilled. Best way to keep it, really. -Matthew Kershaw - Ibiza Sunset.

This is crazy talk.

Take the "Under a Blood Red Sky" live version of SBS, and blast it loud.

Meanwhile, however, One, Walk On and Peace on Earth (and Pride here for some reason) are getting played soooo much. Probably 1 U2 song every hour on most stations.

Just when you thought you couldn't cram more emotion and meaning into one U2 song...

Wait till 'One' and undoubtedly Peace on Earth live on the 3rd leg...

Do you think they won't play the star spangled banner at the opening of the baseball games because of the line "The bombs bursting in air". I don't think they should pull any songs from the radio. One can interpet ANY song as one thing or another.

Maybe they dislike SBS because it's anti-war? You never know...

Melon

------------------

Fucking Clear Channel is in the same company as SFX, thus they are presenting the Elevation Tour, and they're also banning U2 songs from the radio... songs that are more appropriate now than ever.

------------------
But that's my opinion, I could be wrong.
-Dennis Miller

Dressing like your sister, living like a tart. They don't know what you're doing, babe it must be art. You're a headache... in a suitcase... You're a star.

I wonder if ClearChannel has considered censoring the following songs:

Cure, "Killing an Arab" (cf. Albert Camus, "The Stranger")

Queen, "Hammer to Fall" (apocalyptic theme)

[This message has been edited by speedracer (edited 09-17-2001).]

You can view the list of banned songs at
www.radioundercover.com/20010917_clearchannel.html

Some highlights:

Don McLean, "American Pie" (`cause fire is the devil's only friend?)

Beatles, "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" (huh?)

Beatles, "Ticket to Ride" (is the word `ride' being censored here?)

Creedence Clearwater Revival, "Traveling Band" (airport loses the protagonist's luggage)

Tom Petty, "Free Fallin" (as best I can understand, the singer in this song is _not_ jumping from a burning building)

and so on.

[This message has been edited by speedracer (edited 09-17-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom