U2 sometimes performs to a 96 track recording?? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2002, 07:19 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:24 AM
U2 sometimes performs to a 96 track recording??

I have a friend who go to Recording Arts Canada. and she told me her lecturer did sound for two toronto shows.

He told the class

"uring live shows, they play along, and sometimes just mimic a 96 track recording that gets boosted to them through the sound truck outside wherever they play"

------------
a 96 TRACK RECORDING?!?!? thats insanely high!! How do they manage? is it necessary??
how do you feel about that?
Wouldn't you rather they took a more "raw" approach?

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

Old 03-21-2002, 08:14 PM   #2
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:54 AM
I don't buy that.

Old 03-21-2002, 09:57 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Well, I don't see why he would lie to the class or why she would lie to me!

I take it that this wouldn't please you if it were true?

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time
Old 03-21-2002, 11:28 PM   #4
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:54 AM
It wouldnt surprise me...
Old 03-22-2002, 01:58 AM   #5
you are what you is

Local Time: 07:54 AM
so, they mimic

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it
Old 03-22-2002, 02:35 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:54 AM
People lie all the time and I doubt U2 would take someone from Toronto to do their sound when they have had Joe since 1981! I'll believe it if the band or Joe comes out and says it.
Old 03-22-2002, 03:06 AM   #7
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2:
People lie all the time and I doubt U2 would take someone from Toronto to do their sound when they have had Joe since 1981!
Im pretty sure Joe isnt the only guy who works on sound each night!

Old 03-22-2002, 03:09 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:54 PM
What's a 96 track recording?
Old 03-22-2002, 04:46 AM   #9
The Fly

Well since this is true, I imagine Beautiful Day, Elevation and all of the other 2000+ material was created back in the mid 90's perhaps during the Zooropa days?

Well regardless, I do believe U2, particularly during Beautiful Day use pretaped material. If you watch the dvd, watch bono sing all the colors came out. Um, ya...ok...

Whatever, I dont care. Im sure every band does something along these lines every once in a while.
Old 03-22-2002, 06:28 AM   #10
AM
Refugee

Local Time: 05:54 AM
I know they use some prerecorded bits to make them sound better, but that doesn┤t mean, that U2 are just mimicing.

I think they play their instruments life but get some additional sounds (like second and third guitars) from other sources. And I don┤t have a problem with that

------------------
I'm a bass player. That's a "singer" question. Lord Adam Clayton

"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

[This message has been edited by AM (edited 03-22-2002).]
Old 03-22-2002, 07:47 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:54 PM
The question is whether the tracks are just played in their ear pieces or played to the audience.

I can highly envision a scenario where the music is just played to them through an ear piece. This would allow them to remain in a a certain key and even help them remember words, beats and notes.

The system isn't perfect as often Edge will play the wrong notes or be in the wrong key or the rhythm section is off to Edge's playing (or vice versa). These are real mistakes - U2 actually restarted a song at one concert I attended - so, clearly no mimicking there. Bono also forgets lyrics. Therefore, I believe that the track is there to guide U2, but to say that U2 are virtually "lip-synching" and "air-guitaring" to it is incorrect.

It is possible that your professor did not lie, but misunderstood why this tape was used. While U2 clearly play live each time, they do bring in backing tracks (like organs - especially for "Streets...") and backing vocals (like in "Beautiful Day"). This is because these are studio effects that are difficult to recreate live. Some fans may argue that they would rather hear a live only version - but then, would "Streets..." really sound the same without that organ intro? Would "Beautiful Day" sound right without that "when the colours come out...day/day/day" choir like chorus? There is a balance between the studio and live versions and sometimes the two do have to meet.

Therefore, I do feel your professor is right - tracks are there - but they aren't quite used as he thinks. And, as a person who spent WAY too many years in school, I know that our beloved professors aren't always right - don't trust *everything* they say. :-)
Old 03-22-2002, 10:16 AM   #12
Acrobat

U2 do use sequencers when they play live. Bad & Beautiful Day are 2 examples but they only use them as if they were an accompanist, instead of using an additional member added to the band. They all play their primary instruments live. I do think that occasionally Edge will sequence an additional guitar part occasionally, as in Elevation, but for the most part, I think they are sounds essential to the essence of the song. I like the fact that it is still the 4 of them without additional members.
Old 03-22-2002, 10:20 AM   #13
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:54 AM
Your so full of shit I can smell it here!
Old 03-22-2002, 11:15 AM   #14
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted By doctorwho:
I can highly envision a scenario where the music is just played to them through an ear piece. This would allow them to remain in a a certain key and even help them remember words, beats and notes...

While U2 clearly play live each time, they do bring in backing tracks (like organs - especially for "Streets...") and backing vocals (like in "Beautiful Day"). This is because these are studio effects that are difficult to recreate live. Some fans may argue that they would rather hear a live only version - but then, would "Streets..." really sound the same without that organ intro? Would "Beautiful Day" sound right without that "when the colours come out...day/day/day" choir like chorus?
The earpieces are used for monitors. Different band members have different sounds in their earpieces. For example Bono would have more of his own vocals then the other sounds. He also has a piano track in there playing on every note change so he can stay on key. Larry has a click track so he can keep the beat, and he would have more of Adam then Edge cause Edge is always on a different timing. So this "92 track recording" is not being played through their earpieces.

I agree they have other sounds going on as they play. But i don't believe that they are recordings. Some sounds are from MIDI sequencers, like the intro for Bad. Now some of you may say that that is just a recording. But they have to be activated by either Edge, Des, or Dallas in the underworld. So to me that still makes the concert a live performance. As for the part in Beautiful Day, I believe Edge is singing "DAAAAAAAY" during the break and in other parts in the song.

I don't belive that professor about that "92 track rercording." Mostly cause everything U2 plays live is tuned down 1/2 step, and other songs are played in different keys (eg. The Fly, and UTEOTW) and that wouldn't work with the "92 track recording".

------------------
"Yep...Silver and Gold!!!" - Bono

We'll Shine Like Stars In The Summer Nights...
Old 03-22-2002, 12:50 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

First off, I agree. I kjnow they have been using tracks and it doesn't bother me...but 96 tracks seems almost impossible!!!

secondly,
Quote:
Your so full of shit I can smell it here!
Thank-you for that kind statement Mr.inbred.

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time
Old 03-22-2002, 12:57 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I agree w/ what most of Doctorwho had to say...

Yes there are tracks that aren't "live." Who didn't know that? Edge lip synchs to a few background vocals, i.e. Beautiful Day. Isn't that obvious? Same w/ Bono and the whoo hoo's at the beginning of Elevation. No big deal. The over-all package is very much the real thing.

Besides, 92 tracks? That's a hell of a lot more tracks that most of the studio recordings get. Doesn't make much sense to me.

------------------
Rock 'N Roll is the sound of revenge.
Old 03-22-2002, 01:00 PM   #17
The Fly

[quote] Orginally Posted By Basstrap:First off, I agree. I kjnow they have been using tracks and it doesn't bother me...but 96 tracks seems almost impossible!!![b]

It's not almost impossible...it is.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Lemonator (edited 03-22-2002).]
Old 03-22-2002, 01:13 PM   #18
The Fly

LOL this thread is too funny It's a perfect example of how misinformation gets spread. It went from a 96 track to a 92 track in a matter of a few posts.

I wonder what the lecturer really said or meant. As an Academic Advisor I can attest to the fact that what I say isn't always what the students hear.
Old 03-22-2002, 01:15 PM   #19
The Fly

Ooops...sorry my bad...guess i was typing without thinking again.

------------------

Old 03-22-2002, 01:21 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2:
I doubt U2 would take someone from Toronto to do their sound
are you knocking toronto?!?!
cause toronto can 96 track recording you to kingdom come if it wanted to!

------------------
tell me you feel this fire