U2 should watch out for Keane!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onyourkneesboy

The Fly
Where U2 dropped several stitches on their last album, Keane picked them up!

Keane latest album: Under The Iron Sea:

Tom Chaplin (Keane's leadsinger): Voice of an angel!
Song structures: Beautiful and lasting
Emotion: Spine tingling/goosebumps!
Sound: very full and colourfull

And yes I know: Is It Any Wonder has kind of a U2 sound in it's intro, but they done it well.
The rest of the songs on the album are very high-standard and "take you to some other place" like U2 once used to do. Listen to songs like: The Frog Prince, A Bad Dream, Atlantic, Try Again, Crystal Ball,.. and a fantastic B-side (of Is It Any Wonder): Let It Slide!

If you really like to feel the old rollercoaster-rush again we once got from U2 songs:
Try to find "Let It Slide" on some P2P or some other download site!

With this album Keane's a real thread for U2 is it's current shape!

keane is at the same boring level as it is the whining combo of coldplay, the whining james blunt and i have to say it u2 with their last 2 middleoftheroad albums.
all this boring stuff is music for the malls and supermarkets :down:

onyourkneesboy said:

And yes I know: Is It Any Wonder has kind of a U2 sound in it's intro
U2 fans saying that Keane stole that sound from The Edge are taking their fandom a bit too seriously. It's not like doing something that has been done before is the same as stealing.

That's like saying "oh my god, this book has dwarves! that's so totally stolen from Tolkien" :|

KUEFC09U2 said:
yet another U2 arent as good as they used to be threads?

Yeah, maybe!! So what???

Everytime anyone tends to have a little critic about U2 you turn up trying to prohibid anyone from saying something you might not like! Seems like you want to put in some kind of censurship in a democratic forum.
As long as we all yell: Halleluja, Halleluja, U2!, everything fine with you, I guess? I don't hear you complaining about thread 100.000 in which U2 get praised by kissing-up fans who behave like little schoolgirls and like every fart U2 might put on cd, while in reality things could be a lot better!

Even if I'd like to post 5000 of these kind of threads, I'm fully entitled to it!

So if you don't like them: Don't read them!

onyourkneesboy said:

Yeah, maybe!! So what???

Everytime anyone tends to have a little critic about U2 you turn up trying to prohibid anyone from saying something you might not like! Seems like you want to put in some kind of censurship in a democratic forum.
As long as we all yell: Halleluja, Halleluja, U2!, everything fine with you, I guess? I don't hear you complaining about thread 100.000 in which U2 get praised by kissing-up fans who behave like little schoolgirls and like every fart U2 might put on cd, while in reality things could be a lot better!

Even if I'd like to post 5000 of these kind of threads, I'm fully entitled to it!

So if you don't like them: Don't read them!
no not at all, am just stating that this could easily have gone into one of the other threads along the lines of U2 not being as good as they once were.

therefor contributing to a previous debate, rather than starting a complete new one on the same subject.

and also you say your totally entitled to make your opinions, i agree, but this works both ways, i am also entitled to come in and try and defend the period of the band i love.

Last edited:
I actually saw Keane open for U2 a few times and was quite impressed by these guys. I haven't heard any of the new stuff from them but I look forward to checking it out.

As for U2 having to "watch out" - that statement is a joke. With the body of work that U2 has (longevity, quality). These guys don't have to watch out for anyone. I'm a long time U2 fan (War era), and must admit I don't think there music now comes close to earlier releases - and guess what kiddies? I'm not bashing them, I'm just giving an opinion. Wether any of you feel it's right or wrong really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. I liked songs from both ATYCLB and HTDAAB but for both albums on a whole project I just don't think they measure up.

jacobus said:
keane is at the same boring level as it is the whining combo of coldplay, the whining james blunt and i have to say it u2 with their last 2 middleoftheroad albums.
all this boring stuff is music for the malls and supermarkets :down:

I'm afraid a lot of people who don't like Keane are referring to the well-know songs of them from the first album: Somewhere Only We Know, Everybody's Changing, The Last Time, etc.. and the single from the second album: Is It Any Wonder.

The songs on their latest album have nothing to do with the first album and their singles. It's much more mature, complex and has more balls.

So I suggest when you state that Keane are crap overall, you first should listen to their latest album... You might change your opinion!

I agree with you on James Blunt though! What a whiner! Fine music though for lactating when your having trouble going to the toilet!

Keane is a great band. Loved their debut, and now I'm finally getting into their second album. Really looking forward to them live - they have a certain spark live that I can't explain but they are fantastic.

Still, they have a formula to their songs that they never deviate from. Tom sings every second word as if he's trying to talk you down from jumping off a rooftop, and the keyboard player looks like a douchebag live.

Zoo Station: change bassline on the verses, switch disorted guitars by synthetized guitar sounds, make new lyrics, produce it and mix it all again = Is It Any Wonder?
Was it difficult? It doesn't seem to...

Keane's albums are great to listen at home, in a weekend, when you're bored, when you're driving. In that way, that's great, and I recognize the merit.
I saw them live twice (last time was last month) and I must say that it rarely got hot between the crowd. It only warmed when they played the hits from Hopes & Fears, I must say that it was a poor show.

So many britpop band have emerged since the early 90's. How many of them have really survived or stayed in an high pedestal? Thank God that U2 don't belong to that league and make them own rules...!

YBORCITYOBL said:

As for U2 having to "watch out" - that statement is a joke. With the body of work that U2 has (longevity, quality). These guys don't have to watch out for anyone.

:yes:

I have absolutely no problem with Keane...I don't have either of their albums, but I got a couple of their songs off of compilations CDs that came with magazines, and I like them. But...they have a LONG way to go before they could be approaching the ranks of a band like U2.

i never understand these threads.

i mean, its not like there is a numeric limit on bands.

there can be more then one band in the world at the same time.

I really don't like Keane... I saw them live and I found it so boring... They hardly move and the songs are all very simillar. But I went with a few friends and one of them is a fan. He loved the concert...

Yeah...considering the singer jokingly (I think) said he thought about killing Bono with a knife, they really should watch out for them. :yikes:

Keane don't even have a bass player right?, missing that 'oomph.'

Keane, Keane they are boring and shitty, "pastelosa" music , confectioned specially to people that never listen music, just like Coldplay.

Stylish , bland, and crappy musak.

In the other side, U2's last album, The bomb, to be more explicit, contains some great and solid rock songs, that blows Keane and Coldplay out of the water:

Vertigo, City , LAPOE, Sometimes, Original.

"U2 must be very afraid of Keane and Coldplay"

Ha , Ha, Ha, how ridiculous sounds that !!!

thrillme said:
Yeah...considering the singer jokingly (I think) said he thought about killing Bono with a knife, they really should watch out for them. :yikes:

Keane don't even have a bass player right?, missing that 'oomph.'

They don't have guitars... It's really weird...

Keane has a bass player, just no electric or acoustic guitars

they use synthesizers though

and U2 and Keane have different styles, a true comparison is just not possible

U2 - songs known all over the world for years and years
Keane - couple of songs known by like 1/10 of the people that know of U2 songs

annie_vox said:
I really don't like Keane... I saw them live and I found it so boring... They hardly move and the songs are all very simillar. But I went with a few friends and one of them is a fan. He loved the concert...
LOL I've had a comment from a friend about U2 saying about the same thing.

I think it's really immature to say that Keane is 'shitty' and they make 'music for people who never listen to music'.

I'm not a fan either, but come on folks, come off it. Keane fans might say the same things about U2. Are "we" more right than they? I don't think so. Music can't be judged objectively. It's preposterous to think U2 is the only band that deserves to be good.

DarkAcrobat said:
Keane, Keane they are boring and shitty, "pastelosa" music , confectioned specially to people that never listen music, just like Coldplay.

Stylish , bland, and crappy musak.

In the other side, U2's last album, The bomb, to be more explicit, contains some great and solid rock songs, that blows Keane and Coldplay out of the water:

Vertigo, City , LAPOE, Sometimes, Original.

"U2 must be very afraid of Keane and Coldplay"

Ha , Ha, Ha, how ridiculous sounds that !!!

:|

U2 should just watch out that no one else makes music while they are still alive.

Back
Top Bottom