U2 SHOULD NOT PLAY THE SUPER BOWL!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I love the band.

I hate this idea.

------------------
"...I'll see you again, when the stars fall from the sky, and the the moon has turned red over One Tree Hill..."

NYC RIP

I love the band.

I'm sick of the posts on this subject.

tongue.gif

-sula

To me , it will not matter if U2 will perform or not on Super Bowl ( it's like VH1 or mtv or other shit awards show ) , i'm not interested in american football anyway .

P.S. I hope they will do something reallllllllllllllllllllllllly interesting
smile.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

They are gonna make $71 million EACH this year with album/tour/dvd etc. I suppose they are getting another million each for 20 minutes work.

You can never have enough ivory back scratchers.

Anyone know when the video/single of the Pepsi song they did with Justine and Britney is out. I hear you only have to collect 1000 ring pulls to get the single. Put me down for one and a trip to the dentist.

<------------------flamed.

Oh well.

Just syaing what was on my mind.

Hmmm, U2, some kind of Mark Fisher expandable stage, dancers, lots of fireworks, and maybe Bono making an "E*Trade" to show the sponsorship.

I cannot wait.

I'm sure nobody meant to flame you
but there have already been 5 topics about this already

maybe you should have checked page 2 first
smile.gif

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by ouizy:
<------------------flamed.

Oh well.

Just syaing what was on my mind.

Hmmm, U2, some kind of Mark Fisher expandable stage, dancers, lots of fireworks, and maybe Bono making an "E*Trade" to show the sponsorship.

I cannot wait.

No, no, no. You see, that's what happened in the past.

U2 is here to bring class to the halftime show.
smile.gif

Since I didn't reply to the many numerous Superbowl threads dotting the forums, I'll be a newbie and post my thoughts here.

At first I thought this was a bad sellout kind of idea.

Then I thought about it. I don't really think they are doing it to milk more money from would-be consumers who are pondering buying ATYCLB. Of course, that couldn't hurt either.
wink.gif
We all know that U2 are fond of the US, have lived here or have second homes here. The US has given U2 a warm reception, and U2 in kind have given their support.

With the events that happened on 9-11, U2 have made it a point to continue showing their support of the American people through what they do best: music. It doesn't stop there with concerts that not everybody (myself included) has seen. The Superbowl is one of the most widely watched events on television - what better way for U2 to show support of the United States and stand by the American people than to perform to such a large audience on one of the most largely watched events? I'm sure that's why they appeared on late night talk shows with new lyrics for New York etc. Whereas U2 has been greeted with open arms, perhaps they feel they are giving something back (a big "thanks") with a performance that will reach a wide range of people - thereby allowing people to find solace in their music and performance. *shrugs*

Watching television, from a sit-com to a sporting event, is entertainment. It has become a necessary break for those of us who spent the better part of September glued to the news. Going to a concert is a sort of release as well and is no less (but probably a lot more) entertaining. What better way to be entertained than to turn on your television and see your favorite band performing and *hopefully* making a statement through their performance that says "we're with you"

Of course I might be dreaming there, but you catch my drift.
wink.gif

I hate to bring up 9-11 again, as it's been done countless times here at Interference, but it's still fresh in a lot of people's minds. The healing process is still in the works and will be for months, if not years, to come. Folks in NYC are still bandaging their wounds and the American people all over the country are still doing the same. Regardless of clashing opinions regarding the US' actions in the Middle East, the US is still in mourning as they pick up the pieces of that shattering day.

*shrugs again*

That's just my thought(s)

I don't mind people posting their thoughts, even if they suggest that U2 at the Superbowl is a bad idea.

Say what you will, but I dare you to practice what you preach and NOT watch the halftime show.

------------------
The idiot who put the DVD on his Christmas wish list. What was I thinking!?! That is a WHOLE month away!

I never once thought it was a bad idea. This is the band that made a movie about themselves, this is the band that flew around in a 40 foot lemon, this is the band that performed at the NBA finals.

Like singing during a Superbowl halftime show would be a bad thing. Sheesh.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Actually, this is most likely part of a campaign to secure ATYCLB the Best Album of The Year Grammy Award.

Bands in the running always increase their profile as much as possible before the nominations are made.

Except Steely Dan.

...oO (what can we do now that hasn't been done before? Oh I know let me try this)

Okay everybody join in with me......

99 bottles of beer on the wall.............
hmmmm thats been done and you're tired of it you say? Happy Holidays to all of the U2 fans in the world!!!!!!!

Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
Actually, this is most likely part of a campaign to secure ATYCLB the Best Album of The Year Grammy Award.

Bands in the running always increase their profile as much as possible before the nominations are made.

Except Steely Dan.

and Bob Dylan who won for Time Out of Mind a few years ago and will win again this year with Love &Theft which kicks the crap out of Time Out of Mind

Competition will be tough for Album of the year award. Enya I think will be nominated along with Bob Dylan and U2. I'm not sure who the other two nominees will be. But these three are the most likely to win, and based on the way U2 defeated the competition last year, I'd say U2 is going to win for album of the year.

Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:

Except Steely Dan.

lol Doctor - you always have the nose for a publicity campaign...you crack me up. I do have a feeling U2 is doing this because they were invited because of the 9/11 tragedy - and as a world we have found new meaning in U2's sincere cry for peace...

But if it gets U2 the award - I'm okay with that too.

Well said Beibi, but I still shudder to think about it. I do love to hear them play no matter what, but I just have to think about the bands that have come before them in this "tradition." Not one band has looked good during this show.

They basically play in the middle of the football field (on which they have to limit the number of people becaue of the integrity of the field) to no one. It makes the band look bad.

Of course I do not think they are doing it for the money, or even the exposure so that does not make them sell-outs, I cannot figure out why they are doing it.

Oh well.

But, of course I will watch...

Yeah, what a dumb idea to promote yourselves and your album, gain more fans, boost your popularity, expose yourselves to thousands of potential new fans, increase your chances of winning a grammy for album of the year, and make more money which in turn allows you to support more charitable causes!

What a stupid idea!

Back
Top Bottom