U2-related things in Dublin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl91289

War Child
This might be in the wrong forum but... There's a good chance that I will be in Dublin for a few days in August and I was wondering- are there any U2 tours or something like that in Dublin? Is it easy to get to, say, the neighborhoods where they grew up and to the studio? What are some U2 things to do in Dublin that you reccommend? Thanks!

well being in dublin is a start, visiting the harbours etc is where they shot Pride, and possibly Gloria im not 100% sure on that one,

I'm also going to be visiting later this year, and will probably use the atu2 guide to bore my friend with a day of u2 stuff to do in Dublin.

:lol:

Make sure you go to the hardrock cafe in dublin! i stumbled in there by accident, and there is a huge trabant hanging from the ceiling a u2 section (complete with a pair of bonos sunglasses!). Plus they played u2 videos on the tvs the whole time when i was there!

Walk along the wouth side of the Liffey toward the ocean to find Windmill Lane Studios. It's sorta behind and to the side of a residential neighborhood. I just looked at my map and can't find the darn thing...but it shouldn't be too hard to find. Anyway, the "alley" is covered--every inch--in grafitti from visitors. Plus, there's a little plaque on the wall that says it's part of the "Rock N Stroll Trail." It's a great place to get your picture taken...and leave a message.

You can get a Rock and Stroll Trail guide at the visitor's center near Dublin Castle.

I printed out the atU2.com guide and took it with me. My own guidebook had a map, and between the two of them, I found everything I wanted to see.

:geek:

And it has the octagon bar in it..which is great,you have to go. Even if the prices are a bit..:|

To me the essence of U2's Dublin is down on the quays.. sadly that part of town is being totally redeveloped.. so i'd check out the principle offices, the dockers, windmill lane, hanover quay and some of the canals before it's gone forever :(

Jim said:
To me the essence of U2's Dublin is down on the quays.. sadly that part of town is being totally redeveloped.. so i'd check out the principle offices, the dockers, windmill lane, hanover quay and some of the canals before it's gone forever :(

I went to Hanover on Tuesday. :love:

Oh the dust. :yuck: Coz of all the development around there theres alot of dust. So be prepared any one who goes.

Sidenote: Octagan Bar. :drool: One last visit there tonight before i leave tommorow.

Captain America's on Grafton Street has some U2 Memoribilia in it as well. Food isn't bad either.

National Art Gallery - Not sure if the Bono painting by Louis De Broq is still on show there or not.

Martin

I went there in January. We wanted to visit the studios at the Liffey but couldn't find it. As said by bonoishot a lot of dust there. We visited the clarence hotel but that wasn't fun. Just a hotel.

A good one is the hardrock cafe at the temple bar. They've got a lot of nice things there!

At the Liffey there is also a u2 shop with lots of LP's, posters, cd's from u2. I think the name of the shop is just 'U2 SHOP'.

I just came back from my short weekend trip to Dublin and of course I visited some U2-sights. First of all I saw the Bonavox Hearing Aid store, where Bono got his name from. It's just off O'Connell Street (Earl Street North, to be exact), very easy to find. If you walk along the Liffey, you'll find the Clarence on the south side, a bit after the Ha'penny Bridge. I also made a walk to see Windmill Lane Studios, but the area isn't very nice. Because the weather was fantastic, we decided to take the DART and headed for Killiney, where Bono lives. After a foto of the famous gates, we walked the way to the next town, Dalkey. It's a very scenic stroll along the coast, very beautiful.

Dublin is a fantastic city! Enjoy your stay and I wish you a nice time there!

I just found this thread today!! Thanks for all the tips, I'm headed to Dublin this weekend for a few weeks. I don't know if I'll have much time for sight seeing, but at least I have a list just in case. :)

can the Rock n Stroll tour guide brochure be found online? Does anyone have a copy or pics of it? thanks!

Jim said:

Is Dockers Pub still standing? Or has it been demolished already? :( Now that was a great bit of U2-dom :drool:

And just a query? Why would anyone go to Dublin and go to a Hard Rock cafe? If you want to go to the Hard Rock cafe, then why leave the US? (Is it like people who travel the world and only eat at McDonalds "to avoid foreign food" :huh: )

:huh:

Nobody spends the whole trip in the Hard Rock cafe.
And every Hard Rock cafe is different I think because everyone has different stuff in it.
When I was in Melbourne it was the first time in my life I went into a Hard Rock, and we didn't even eat there. Just to take a look aroun.
When you are in Dublin for a few days why not just go in the cafe to have a look what they show there?

redhotswami said:
I just found this thread today!! Thanks for all the tips, I'm headed to Dublin this weekend for a few weeks. I don't know if I'll have much time for sight seeing, but at least I have a list just in case. :)

Oh, I should check out the prices for a little Interference meeting :wink:

blueeyedgirl said:

Is Dockers Pub still standing? Or has it been demolished already? :( Now that was a great bit of U2-dom :drool:

Nope definitely not! :lol: My roommates and I were wandering for HOURS trying to find the place (keep in mind, they are not U2 fans). When we asked people they had no idea what we were talking about. Finally, we settled for another pub in the Quays, and there we were told that Dockers was closed YEARS ago. By that time, my roommates were pissed. One of them said to me "If I see Bono this summer, I'm going to kick him!"

So...no, it isn't open. I wouldn't recommend putting your friends through the same torture I did.

Ups. didn't watch the date carefully enough.

But yeah, a meeting would be great :)

redhotswami said:

Nope definitely not! :lol: My roommates and I were wandering for HOURS trying to find the place (keep in mind, they are not U2 fans). When we asked people they had no idea what we were talking about. Finally, we settled for another pub in the Quays, and there we were told that Dockers was closed YEARS ago. By that time, my roommates were pissed. One of them said to me "If I see Bono this summer, I'm going to kick him!"

So...no, it isn't open. I wouldn't recommend putting your friends through the same torture I did.

Bummer! Then again, the last time I drank there was in 1990! :lol:

Vincent Vega said:
When I was in Melbourne it was the first time in my life I went into a Hard Rock, and we didn't even eat there. Just to take a look aroun.

I worked near the Melbourne Hard Rock Cafe for 3 years and never set foot in it once. I'm obv not the target audience :wink:

blueeyedgirl said:

I worked near the Melbourne Hard Rock Cafe for 3 years and never set foot in it once. I'm obv not the target audience :wink:

I wouldn't have gone there if my mate didn't want to :)

Back
Top Bottom