U2 perform GOYB at the Grammys Discussion Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not that I wanted to bring it up, but the lyrics in the background, particularly the "YEEAAH!"s certainly reminded me of the relevant South Park episode.

I might be completely misremembering, but I think there's always been shitty sound for some acts (opening acts?) at the Grammys. There have been acts I've been so excited to see, and the sound was baffling.

U2 was great, but I was frustrated that the sound was so bad.

By the way, Jofo - who the heck is that superimposed over Simon and Garfunkel in your avatar?

I love that Bob Dylan commerical...but only the Bob Dylan parts...sorry Wil I Am

Mystery solved. Bono's always so gracious.

He was probably thanking him for putting the lyrics on the big screen. :wink:

Hey now, I didnt think i'd see this played live for awhile. The song felt like vertigo live but with even more downtime. The guitar parts sound really cheesey, way overproduced. As far as the signing/voice goes, hello tired bono! We got tired bono, who shows up alot. The thing about GOYB is the fast-paced, rap styled lyrics, that need to be sang in key, with full inflection to make sense together. For this reason bono can't get away with sounding tired and muffled, as he can on some others and it still sounds O.K.. For GOYB the lyrics are part of the rythm and have to be pronounced the right way, and bono was having real trouble keeping up tonight.

Eyeliner, really? douchechill

mofo_11139.jpg

mofo_11140.jpg

Thom and Colin from Radiohead.

Thank you! I've been meaning to ask, but never got around to it.

Maybe they should wait to hear what their performance sounded like in living rooms across the country before thanking Walter for anything.

Lil Wayne was 16, I think, when he had his first child.

And Lil' Wayne winning best rap album shows how out of touch the Grammy academy is. Go on any hip hop message board and you'll find that the reaction among hip hop fans towards Tha Carter III was overwhelmingly negative. However, because it sold a lot amongst 14 year olds and because "important" magazines like Rolling Stone (who have absolutely NO idea what hip hop is), Lil Wayne is crowned a "Dadaist poet".

Pathetic.

Didn't Lil' Wayne's album end up at the top (or near the top) of a lot of year-end Best Of lists? Not that I know jack-all about rap or hip hop these days, but I had gotten the impression that the album wasn't supposed to be much to write home about, so I thought that was surprising.

But whatever. I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Ok just got to see it in HD on a much bigger TV screen than my laptop (3 hour west coast delay :angry: ) But I have to say it was MUCH better seeing it the second time that way. Don't even know why all the complaining, yeah there were a few things that weren't perfect. But it was great :up: :love:

Lil Wayne was 16, I think, when he had his first child.

And Lil' Wayne winning best rap album shows how out of touch the Grammy academy is. Go on any hip hop message board and you'll find that the reaction among hip hop fans towards Tha Carter III was overwhelmingly negative. However, because it sold a lot amongst 14 year olds and because "important" magazines like Rolling Stone (who have absolutely NO idea what hip hop is), Lil Wayne is crowned a "Dadaist poet".

Pathetic.

No way...16?!?!?! Jesus...

Anywho, don't even get me started in RS

corianderstem: Exactly. Magazines like Rolling Stone and Blender gave it high marks. But in reality, the album is just a grab bag collection of shit.

As a hip-hop artist, Lil' Wayne had potential to be one of the greats between 2005 and 2006. Then he started realizing that he was picking up steam and stopped trying. Unfortunately, his star was already rising among people like my 14 year old sister, and he was thrust into megastardom.

Sorry about my rant, but I was just so excited for Wayne to be good, and he's disappointed me so much for the past 3 years.

And, to summarize: U2 rocked tonight.

K I haven't read this entire thread but did anyone else notice that the opening to Boots was the "let me in the sound" bit that opens "fez-being born" ???? You can even hear the "let me in the sound" vocal faintly in the background...and that was fucking awesome, seems like a really good opener...

By the way, I'm pumped for Green Day's new album. I haven't been following its creation that closely, didn't realize it had a title.

And also, American Idiot doesn't feel 5 years old.

K I haven't read this entire thread but did anyone else notice that the opening to Boots was the "let me in the sound" bit that opens "fez-being born" ???? You can even hear the "let me in the sound" vocal faintly in the background...and that was fucking awesome, seems like a really good opener...

Yeah I noticed that after I listened to just the audio. When I was watching the first time I was too :hyper:. But yeah it's way cool!

The grammy performance was AWFUL!! The new song si horrible and the live version is even worse than the studio version. rmember when U2 used to change their look between albums? Now we have to sit thru the same platform shoes and stupid eye glasses of Bono. I mean get rid of those platform shoes we all KNOW you are short!.

As for the performance, it was easily the WORSt U2 live performance of all time. I could not even watch the whole thing is was such crap

Back
Top Bottom