U2 Negativity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beau2ifulday

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
So, in general, the world is happy about U2's return, and I think most critics are full of nothing but praise for them.
I'm really looking forward to the media blitz that will be U2 over the next year or so - with single releases, tours etc - but i've come across so many people who are really hostile towards U2 recently, and although I pay no attention to it, it still really bothers me.
I don't know how many people have been on the UK Music Hall Of Fame Forum, but those guys are real bastards - not because they dislike U2, but because they are just plain cruel about them (that awful 4 letter word beginning with c is used about them). Not everyone's that ignorant, obviously, but combining that with a load of shitty remarks from my family and friends, I just feel a little deflated now.

Anyone else come across this kind of blatant negativity?

In my opinion - when someone says they don't like U2, a flag instantly goes up. They are obviously not right in the head. That U2 is the best is an absolute truth. Like gravity. :)

no, except from good charlotte fans in my class which in turn i take the piss right out of, most people with any musical taste will like U2 others mightn't just get it.......:wink:

don't sweat it man, when people wanna take the piss out of you they will attack something they know you LOVE.

This would likely happen no matter WHAT band you like! And any band worth loving, like U2, will make it harder when people want to ruin your fun. Maybe they're just jealous they don't have a fave band or simply know U2 is better than their band and get defensive!

If your a sports fan, people diss your team. Same with bands. They rub it in when your team loses, U2 never loses though, so it only makes them angrier and attack invalid points!!!

Just don't take it personally and don't think it's U2.

These people don't know what they're missing. F-em!

Hey, Beau2ifulday...

Well, I know that over here in Chicago I encounter a pretty good deal of U2-related negativity. I couldn't even begin to count how many times people've told me, "Oh, they're fucking gay," or asked me when I mentioned the band, "Who, those old fags?" It happens...and Chicago is one of the band's biggest fan-bases in the whole world! They sold out six shows here on the last tour and 2 2/3 during PopMart.

While I don't think that the WAY people often express these opinions are very savvy, I do have to respect the opinion. I may well be crucified for this, but I'm merely being an opinionated realist.

First of all, I don't think the band is aging very well, relative to the youth culture which pretty much dominates the mass media. They LOOK pretty good, still...but they act like they're in their forties. I don't have a huge problem with this, but it's true. Bono can't dance, their videos have been terrible since '98 ("Sweetest Thing" was great...since then, pure shit), and the increased promotional blitz on the last two albums has highlighted a very real problem for the band: they're (especially Bono) way too used to stadiums and huge arenas.

Bono looks like a damn jackass in a studio or smaller stage (SNL, Letterman, Farm Club, Top of the Pops, etc.)...I'm sorry, but it's true. He's too used to grandstanding and making HUGE, SWEEPING, GRANDIOSE gestures to fit in well in these surroundings, and they're the places the youth culture is most likely to encounter the band. Videos, too....no big audience, no HUGE vistas....it just doesn't work. TV screens work for U2, but U2 doesn't work for TV screens.

On a bit of a side note, I think that this whole problem (at least as far as I see it) underscores a very important point about the band's live setlist. I'm sure we all noticed how ludicrous Bono looked during "Vertigo" on SNL, and I think that part of it has to do with his improvisation. Same thing with certain parts of "I Will Follow"--he just decided to start leading that dolly (it wasn't just a camera...and it weighs like 150 pounds...!!!) around the stage....but he couldn't. It was too heavy. I know that we complain a lot about the stagnant U2 setlists, but I think that this really speaks volumes about how poorly a U2 show would LOOK (though maybe not sound) if it were more spontaneous. As the band used to say when people still talked about Bono's insane pole-climbing tricks during the War-era, sometimes Bono just has to be roped in lest he injure himself, someone else, or the band's credibility. People like us look at last night's "I Will Follow" and say, "Wow, that was awesome! He broke all the rules! Fuck yeah!" But a non- or casual fan might say, "Man...he looks like a fucking dumb-ass. His reach exceeds his grasp." ...And I think we'd both be right...

Additionally, I think the band's overzealous idealism (not that there's anything wrong with that...!) may turn some people off pretty easily--hell, I'm a HUGE fan and it bugs me to death, sometimes! People often react poorly to someone trying to save the world...especially when that person's rich, famous, and VERY intense.

Whew...rant ended. I ain't EVEN gonna' check my spelling; I hope it all makes sense. :wink:

Well said. Very well thought out.

You either love U2, or you really don't love U2. The same things that draw us to them or the same that turn many off. There is a very big concept that must be present whenever you are listening to and/or viewing U2. Context.

Thanks for being brave and saying what you believe.

If you shout... said:

Well, I know that over here in Chicago I encounter a pretty good deal of U2-related negativity. I couldn't even begin to count how many times people've told me, "Oh, they're fucking gay," or asked me when I mentioned the band, "Who, those old fags?" It happens...and Chicago is one of the band's biggest fan-bases in the whole world! They sold out six shows here on the last tour and 2 2/3 during PopMart.

You could've stopped right there.

All those people complaining how "gay" U2 are or how "old" they are will be fighting to get tickets as soon as U2 comes to town.

If a person honestly doesn't like U2 - so be it. There are plenty of artists I don't like or get. For example, many people here, including U2, love Radiohead - yet I can't get into them at all.

But any time there's vulgarity or insults, it immediately invalidates the post.

Besides, any time anyone is this popular there is negativity. And the people of England often seem far more negative towards U2 than anyone - yet again, in the U.K. U2 has #1 albums, #1 songs and sold-out concerts. It's silly, but a "side effect" of being so popular.

doctorwho said:

All those people complaining how "gay" U2 are or how "old" they are will be fighting to get tickets as soon as U2 comes to town.

very good point. There are so many closet u2 fans, especially younger people. The reason is because its somemtimes unhip & uncool to like u2 because they are the biggest band in the world and their so huge people think its unoriginal, and others are scared to say they like a band thats been around so long and are in their 40s. I don't get much anti-u2 feelings here in DC, but the thing I get soooo much is "Oh, you like u2? Ya, their ok i guess." Thats hilarious, those are the people who are going to be at a music store on Nov. 23rd.

Dutch Partygirl said:
It happens when you're that famous. Every band gets that problem...

Thats another good point, we love u2 so much we find all this negative stuff abotu them on the net. Trust me, my second favorite band is Radiohead and you can find plenty of people that despise them.

The thing If You Shout brought up about Bono on the stage is so true it's scary. The only thing I would add to that is that we all KNOW he looks like a fool dancing around the stage and stuff. The funny thing is, we love him for it. I know he looks like a jackass sometimes, but I love him for it. Non-fans on the other hand, they ONLY see it as him being a jackass, and that's alrgiht too though. The problems only start when they can't find a way to intellegently voice their opinions (when they start throwing around the "F" word)

I guess I find it odd because I would never launch into a scathing attack on a band, just because I didn't like them.
I wore my U2 t-shirt to school last week to prove a point to myself. I used to be embarassed.... especially when I was 14/15, but i've given up on caring what people think now. I had some shitty comments thrown at me, but I felt so good at the end of the day :)

When I acctualyl wear my U2 shirts to school I dont get very many comments at all. But when I do they are usually positive. My high school has a surprisingly good music taste overall.

If you shout... said:
Hey, Beau2ifulday...

On a bit of a side note, I think that this whole problem (at least as far as I see it) underscores a very important point about the band's live setlist. I'm sure we all noticed how ludicrous Bono looked during "Vertigo" on SNL, and I think that part of it has to do with his improvisation. Same thing with certain parts of "I Will Follow"--he just decided to start leading that dolly (it wasn't just a camera...and it weighs like 150 pounds...!!!) around the stage....but he couldn't. It was too heavy.

Additionally, I think the band's overzealous idealism (not that there's anything wrong with that...!) may turn some people off pretty easily--hell, I'm a HUGE fan and it bugs me to death, sometimes! People often react poorly to someone trying to save the world...especially when that person's rich, famous, and VERY intense.

Funny...when I saw him trying to move the dolly all I thought was that it couldn't go 'round 360 cuz of cords and stuff. I didn't think he looked silly, just frustrated that it wasn't like leading around the cameras that are used on tours.

You are right about the idealism, and it is in your face sometimes, but I still have to give them credit. It is who they are and they don't back down. You have to admire that message they are still sending out after all these years. People's reaction to it says more about people than it does about the group. U2 are not phony about their causes, but people either lump them with the ones that are or criticize them that they actually care. That's just sad.

That performance was at the beginning of the "tour" I would never expect a band to be perfect this early into it. That said it was enjoyable and good to see them back again!

Lancemc said:
The thing If You Shout brought up about Bono on the stage is so true it's scary. The only thing I would add to that is that we all KNOW he looks like a fool dancing around the stage and stuff. The funny thing is, we love him for it. I know he looks like a jackass sometimes, but I love him for it. Non-fans on the other hand, they ONLY see it as him being a jackass, and that's alrgiht too though. The problems only start when they can't find a way to intellegently voice their opinions (when they start throwing around the "F" word)

Bingo. I'm glad that another fan isn't afraid to use words like "Bono," "jackass," and "fool" in the same sentences...and to then admit to still loving the man for it.

"They know that they can't dance/At least they know!"

:D

i don't find you have to look that far to find U2 negativity around here...

:shifty:

who has time to worry about other people's negative comments when there are so many other fun things going on--live performances all over the place, anticipation for the long awaited collectors edition...

:drool:

Well ... the reason for so much negativity towards U2 is because they are so unbelievable big! It has been like this all the time, and it will always be there. It says more about U2s popularity and greatness than anything else.

dandy said:
i don't find you have to look that far to find U2 negativity around here...

:shifty:

who has time to worry about other people's negative comments when there are so many other fun things going on--live performances all over the place, anticipation for the long awaited collectors edition...

:drool:

I'll have to agree. I wish people would have gotten all of their negative comments out over the last 3 years when there was nothing going on.

Now, at a time when U2 fans should be happy and excited there is all of this negativity, criticism etc.

Maybe you should leave that all behind for now; there will be plenty of time for criticisms etc. after the tour ends and we have another 3 or 4 years of nothing.

I'm almost hesitant to think what it will be like when the tour actually starts.

'Oh Bono's voice sucked, the setlist was crap, I can't believe Edge missed those 3 notes, why can't Larry smile"

Wow, I can't wait, what fun.:|

ramblin rose said:

Now, at a time when U2 fans should be happy and excited there is all of this negativity, criticism etc.

Maybe you should leave that all behind for now; there will be plenty of time for criticisms etc. after the tour ends and we have another 3 or 4 years of nothing.

I'm almost hesitant to think what it will be like when the tour actually starts.

'Oh Bono's voice sucked, the setlist was crap, I can't believe Edge missed those 3 notes, why can't Larry smile"

I value people's opinions on U2, as i'm not one of those fans who loves everything they do, but it does seems that some of the criticisms on this forum go way beyond being just critisism. That's fine - its just becoming increasingly frequent.

It will be interesting to hear some of the posts being spawned when the tour does start. And when the next single is released. And when the new website gets up and running.

Last edited:
It used to bug me, but now I really try not to care so much. The funny thing is most of the "I hate U2" mentality is really "I have a problem with Bono" attitude. Or the people that say "U2 is over the hill and has been" and "the always sound the same" - clearly do not have a clue.

Bono, everytime I've seen him on stage - be it stadiums, arenas, or TV studios - never dissapoints me. Grand gestures and mischief are a part of him, and I have yet to see a frontman that comes close to his ability to work the crowd.

(Beautiful day and European version of Stuck were great videos, Elevation was ok, I only minded the European version of Walk on aka postcard from Rio)

ramblin rose said:

I know. :rant: We had comments on Bono's voice with the promo tour already.

How about just being glad to get the band TWICE as opposed to rest of the world?

Last edited:
beau2ifulday said:
So, in general, the world is happy about U2's return, and I think most critics are full of nothing but praise for them.
I'm really looking forward to the media blitz that will be U2 over the next year or so - with single releases, tours etc - but i've come across so many people who are really hostile towards U2 recently, and although I pay no attention to it, it still really bothers me.
I don't know how many people have been on the UK Music Hall Of Fame Forum, but those guys are real bastards - not because they dislike U2, but because they are just plain cruel about them (that awful 4 letter word beginning with c is used about them). Not everyone's that ignorant, obviously, but combining that with a load of shitty remarks from my family and friends, I just feel a little deflated now.

Anyone else come across this kind of blatant negativity?
I am a big U2 fan and my boyfirend used to be as well and has become a little hostile toward them as well.

I say we go on a Holy Crusade eliminating all the U2-hating Infidels from this world!!!!! ARRGAGHGHRHGH!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :macdevil:

U2girl said:
It used to bug me, but now I really try not to care so much. The funny thing is most of the "I hate U2" mentality is really "I have a problem with Bono" attitude.

:up: well said. I know a lot of people who like, but dont love, u2's music and think edge, adam, and larry r the coolest. They just dont like Bono.

I think a lot of men, dare i say it, are jealous of Bono. Most women I know like/love U2, have no problem with Bono, and are thrilled that he is a rock star as well as an advocate.

Now with men i know, it is completely different. Either you like the guy a lot, or you hate him. Take my brother. He likes U2's music and is constantly praising Edge, but he doesn't want Bono to be anything other than a rock star. Most men say he has an ego or whatever, when I think it's more along the lines of being jealous of another man with so much going for him and also not srewing it all up with drugs, etc. Does this make any sense? :ohmy:

Hola amigos :wave:
I´ve noticed most of "negativity" is actually a dislike about the new album. I´ve read many fans reviews on www.amazon.com, www.yahoo.com, www.rateyourmusic.com and many other sites and it´s clear not all fans are happy with this album. It´s easy, when you dislike or hate any album, to say "this band is crap, this band is dead, this band is pop shit, etc" but I´m not one of those persons :censored:

I have to be honest and the album is really dissapointing for me, really :( but I still respect U2 :yes:

U2 have their part on this situation of polarized fans. Because I think the problem began when Bono ( once again, why ? :mad: ) said the same old words "this will be our best album" "best 11 songs ever relased on music´s history" and unnecessary sentences like these ones, so off course many fans actually believed that words ( not me ). When you talk and talk and promise too much, the dissapointment will be bigger and bigger :angry::banghead:
That happened to angry fans, so they feel so offended that they say horrible words to U2, because they need to express their angry.
My only "angry" is about the album itself, not for U2 as persons, not for their past career, etc. On the contrary, the best U2 for me always has been 1980-1998 :bow:

Also many fans hate this new so much commercial and false album styles, and they have right to be against that. To be a fan doesn´t mean you MUST LOVE every band´s stuff. I hate ATYCLB, The Best Of 1990-2000, I don´t like this new album but I love U2 :heart:

Last edited:
U2girl said:
I The funny thing is most of the "I hate U2" mentality is really "I have a problem with Bono" attitude.

I agree, but this doesn't bother me at all. It is very easy for me to see why somebody wouldn't like Bono, and that is their prerogative and they're more than entitled to their opinion.

U2's worst enemy is U2. Most of the negative reviews of the new album repeatedly compare past records and songs to the new stuff. Well, every song ain't Where the Streets Have No Name or One. But that is the best part of it.

U2 haters would criticize the band if they went retro, stayed the same or tried a new genre of music. That is why they are haters. The fact that this band takes risks,adapts and evolves with changes in society is remarkable. It deserves respect and in a music industry sorely lacking in integrity, i.e Ashlee Simpson and her ilk which make up over 60% of the crap on the radio, U2 is just what the doctor ordered.

U2 has survived as a group of 4 good friends which is rare in the music industry. How many bands have together without a breakup for 25 years with the original lineup and not even had to have a comeback album? Look at Duran Duran, people are amazed with their first new release with the original band in over 20 years. U2 has released 8 albums during this time and are still relevant.

I think people in the mainstream overlook the achievements of the band and take it for granted. As stated earlier in this thread, U2 is so big they are an easy target. Their music reaches people from all walks of life regardless of culture or religion. They bring spirituality and hope to people of all faiths and not in a preachy way. Their library of songs make you happy, sad, quiet, loud, silly, and even make you cry. Their live performances are legendary. They still live in their hometowns. A truly critical look at U2 would place this band on top of the music industry as an example of excellence and perserverence without compromising one's principles.

Yeah, this is a load of crap but I had to get this off my chest after reading some other reviews. I know, I'm preaching to the choir but hey I feel much better now. Thanks interference.

Look, U2 will always piss people off.
Even U2 fans are polarized. Think about it--here we all are--several hundred devoted U2 fans willing to waste precious hours of our lives on the Internet debating the merits of a rock band, and WE can't even agree about what constitutes "good" or "bad" U2.
We have fiercely devoted Pop fans who apparently hate everything else the band has ever done. We have 80's U2 fans like Axver who wasn't especially fond of anything AB through ATYCLB. We have 90's U2 fans who dislike Joshua Tree. We have Ciao John who LOVES UF and Zooropa but who isn't all that fond of JT and AB.
We have fans who love Bono climbing rafters and waving white flags and making portentious speeches reminding us that racism and nationalism are like, bad.
We have fans who love Bono in black wraparound shades dry humping a camera.
We even have fans who love Bono in a bubble suit climbing out of a 30 foot mirrorball Lemon.

That's what is great about U2. They aren't half hearted about anything. They take the big risks. And sometimes people will hate you for that. Even if they're a U2 fan.

Back
Top Bottom