U2 music at your funeral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CTU2fan

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
A bit morbid I suppose...but would you want U2 music at your funeral? And if you did, what song would you want played/sung?

I have had Psalms 40 read as part of the eulogy at my grandfather, grandmother and father's funerals. I will probably request the same be done at my funeral when that day comes. As far as music, I think I would like MLK to be played. My reasons for this are personal, and not because it is slow and somber.

At what part of the funeral ceremony would a U2 song be appropriate? :confused:

There's a time and place for everything and I don't think the place for a U2 song is at a funeral. Now, if someone were to put together a tribute video of you, then sure, plenty of songs would be appropriate. But I think the only appropriate music at a funeral is church music.

WalkOnTheEdge said:
At what part of the funeral ceremony would a U2 song be appropriate? :confused:

There's a time and place for everything and I don't think the place for a U2 song is at a funeral. Now, if someone were to put together a tribute video of you, then sure, plenty of songs would be appropriate. But I think the only appropriate music at a funeral is church music.
Some people don't want church music at their funeral. It's become more and more usual for mainstream music to be played at funerals. I read a report somewhere that in Europe, the number one song played at funerals is Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin. The report also stated that the number two song is Highway to Hell by AC/DC.

Personally, I'd find Kite to be very funeral appropriate. Though I think I might actually prefer Gone.

i'd go with big girls are best.

or maybe the first time (like they do it on tour, properly).

DreamOutLoud13 said:

Some people don't want church music at their funeral. It's become more and more usual for mainstream music to be played at funerals. I read a report somewhere that in Europe, the number one song played at funerals is Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin. The report also stated that the number two song is Highway to Hell by AC/DC.

Cher has gone on record as saying she wants I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For played at her funeral.

(I read alot!:wink:)

It's obvious from this thread that everyone has their own opinion on the subject, and you know what.... everyone is right. Whatever works for you is great, it might not be for me, but if it is your wish then who cares what type of song it is. MLK is personal for me and no 'Church song' has any meaning for me. If you want U2, church music or whatever then have at it. To each his own, it might be the last decision you have any say over.

I told my mom that if I should die a premature death, she's in charge of making sure a full CD of various versions of Streets gets played at top volume.

(Which reminds me, I have to make that CD for her, just in case ...)

Hmm, i've actually been asked before what u2 song i would play..i'd probably pick either...

*Kite
*One
*Original Of The Species
*Mofo (yeah, why not)
*One Step Closer
*MLK
*One Tree Hill

argh i actually i dont know, but then again, i know that when i'm to die...every time one of my friends hears U2 they'll think of my love for them anyway.

but October would probably be top pick for me.

I think I'd want One Tree Hill, Walk On, Kite, or Streets. Streets might not really be appropriate, but I wouldn't want my funeral to be about death...I'd rather it be about life personally. Maybe Streets at the beginning, and Walk On at the end? I don't know...but I hope mine isn't a completely sad event, celebrate my life instead.

A Celebration? heh.

I've always thought it would be MLK for me, but One Tree Hill would be a great choice.

Ah, what the heck:

Before my coffin enters the church Wake Up! by Arcade Fire will be playing:

Then, my coffin will enter the church to the tune of
Where the Streets Have No Name

For mid-service I'd want Walk On played.

And towards the end: If God Will Send His Angels

When the service is over: Kite

And as they are carrying my coffin outside: MLK

I think Streets would be appropriate in a way.

Kite is probably the best choice though.

I'd go with Zoo Station or Sort of Homecoming, or both.
My family believes more in a celebration of life rather than the sadness of death so our funerals aren't gloomy and whatnot, so yeah.

Back
Top Bottom