U2 is a very unique band...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Most 80s and 90s bands usually come out with an album or top 40 single and then disappear, most of these bands will play clubs and an arena if they're lucky, but after a few months, they fall away from the limelight. Basically, one hit wonders keep trying to put out new material, and then finally put out a 'Best of' and end up calling it quits, it appears that the flame is gone...

For U2, after being in the music business for more than 25 years, they keep things fresh and exciting. But also, they know that music has a message with it and people feel connections with music, so every song that U2 writes, it's almost a smash hit, because the publicity that it receives is astonishing, and they continue to sell out 15,000+ arenas and 80,000+ stadiums...

What is it about U2 that continues to keep them going? Passion... without passion, anything you do is just to get by, if you truely like something and put the time and effort into it -- you're going to get something in return.

What keeps them going is that more then any other band that is out right now is that U2 has the most loyal cult like following and that includes the people on this board as much collectively as we complain here we still agree that U2 is the best band on the planet and we set very high standards for them....not everybody is going to get U2 but the people that do will support them till U2 no longer exists as a band which is whenever they want to retire...which is not the case for most bands because they are forced into retirement with bad record sales.

Because they like it and they can't do anything else.
Imagine Bono working 9/17 in the office.

They accept our love and our pride(in the name of love) which is probably highest on the earth.
I never liked some band or singer as much as i like U2

U2:rockon:

Plus, they're not just a band - they're good friends too. They work cohesively as a unit [most of the time], and it makes them stronger :up:

Last edited:
Their level of commitment to each other, to their fans, and to their music is amazing, period. Nevermind that they've been at this for 25 years and have still managed to keep that commitment as strong as ever. Yeah, they really are unique. :yes:

ok...they were always different from what the trends were telling them to do and despite that they were amazing, innovative, great!!! and ppl loved them!!! at least ppl who understood what they were trying to say, to prove, ...ppl who understood the greatness of their music...U2 are timeless!!!

U2 certainly broke so many boundries that rock music media and people in general had placed upon the genre...well before it was the cool thing to do...best band on the planet, end of story.

i feel some different things about u2. i see them as the highest selling alterative band ever. i think thier one of the best alterative bands ever (why i love u2 more then say nirvana, nirvana is THE greatest alterative band ever, they are alterative more then anyone before or after) , i feel u2 is overall one the best bands of all time overall. i also feel thier this sorta "classic rock": jr band. JR meaning, while they get some respect and airplay on classic rock raido, they still take a backseat to beatles/zeppelin/doors/bily joel/elton john/pink floyd. Because whiile thier popular stuff is pretty radio friendly, thiers still this like, thing that its still not going get the airplay the above bands get. casue u2 still has too many elements of alterative music in thier sound. as someone else said on here, u2 is not realy bluesy music. except for a few songs on RAH, u2 dosn't have the blueprint for thier sound that the classic rocks bands have. the blues. So thier music might not connect to the classic rock audience as much. still a little to weird. Look at u2;s influences. sure thiers beatles,dylan etc. But its realy alt bands like velvet underground and ramones and talking heads that feed thier sound. Thats why thier still a notch below the standard classic rock artirts. But at the same time, this band gets play on many diffrent kinda radio stations. Classic rock, top 40, underground stuff, adult comtampoary, a 80' s station. etc. The biggest thing here is that, i listen to a dj named vince scelsa who is on public radio here in the new york area. This is a guy who has been on the radio for like 35 years. Back in the day of album orinented rock. back when radio mattered. This guy plays 80% of the time bands you never heard of and won;t outside his show. I mean its in a different dimiesion from top 40 radio. polar oppisite. and even that isn;t enoguh to grt across the difference. But this man dose play and love u2. He plays u2 on a show thats as far away from the real world as posible. but u2 is on thier. At the same time, u2 is on top 40 radio with bands that are only for the here and now and will gone in a couple years. but somehow u2 is on thier. How can a band co exsist in both worlds? thats UNIQUE. Thier putting out better stuff then bands that are thier age or older.Its bascally, like, thier big enoguh to survive, but not quite big enoguh to fall off the edge after over exporsure like a backstreet boys or soemthing. Witch is good. they have longevity.They appeal to a bit of every demographic so that they still can have success. While they don't appeal to enough of one demographic be in that one demo exclusivley. Thier a classic rock band, yet not as much as like billy joel, but thier a top 40 band, but not as much as nsync, but they might be a alterative band (witch they are). but have enoguh pop sensitbilties in thier music to appeal to other people. They might be like a "80's" band, so they get the nostalga appeal, but YET, they have hits way after 1990 so thier realy not. (unlike duran duran who are a 80's band and havn't mattered since. ) So thier a big band, yet underground dj;s who play odd and weird stuff might still be into them. They experimented with techno/dance alot that they might have even attracted a few of those fans. ( not many buy some. discotuqe has been remixed and on techno complalations, it has a awesome beat ). And they might be just a good rock band that fans with no prefernces persae might just enjoy. Also, if any band that came out after the late 60's/early 70's , that people of that era should accept and listen to, even through its after thier "time" its u2. (i feel u2 is way better then crosby stills and nash, great band for its time, but what did they do after the 60s?) but then the experimentation of u2 with techno and alterative elements might turn off some old fans of the 60's and 70';s since they have no knowledge of drum machines and punk noises since thier time cuts off at like 1974. Bono has done things to try to help the world that surpass most 1960's artists efforts truth be told.

SO WHAT ONE OF THESE IS THE REAL U2? ALL OF THEM AND NONE OF THEM.

theu2fly said:
What is it about U2 that continues to keep them going? Passion... without passion, anything you do is just to get by, if you truely like something and put the time and effort into it -- you're going to get something in return.

Passion for publicity.

Passion for ego-massaging.

Passion for profits.

Passion for marketability.

Passion for pleasing the greatest number.

Passion for satisfying fans.

Passion for music.

Passion for playing live.

It's all about passion.

Cheers,

J

allbecauseofu2 said:
i feel some different things about u2. i see them as the highest selling alterative band ever. i think thier one of the best alterative bands ever (why i love u2 more then say nirvana, nirvana is THE greatest alterative band ever, they are alterative more then anyone before or after) , i feel u2 is overall one the best bands of all time overall. i also feel thier this sorta "classic rock": jr band. JR meaning, while they get some respect and airplay on classic rock raido, they still take a backseat to beatles/zeppelin/doors/bily joel/elton john/pink floyd. Because whiile thier popular stuff is pretty radio friendly, thiers still this like, thing that its still not going get the airplay the above bands get. casue u2 still has too many elements of alterative music in thier sound. as someone else said on here, u2 is not realy bluesy music. except for a few songs on RAH, u2 dosn't have the blueprint for thier sound that the classic rocks bands have. the blues. So thier music might not connect to the classic rock audience as much. still a little to weird. Look at u2;s influences. sure thiers beatles,dylan etc. But its realy alt bands like velvet underground and ramones and talking heads that feed thier sound. Thats why thier still a notch below the standard classic rock artirts. But at the same time, this band gets play on many diffrent kinda radio stations. Classic rock, top 40, underground stuff, adult comtampoary, a 80' s station. etc. The biggest thing here is that, i listen to a dj named vince scelsa who is on public radio here in the new york area. This is a guy who has been on the radio for like 35 years. Back in the day of album orinented rock. back when radio mattered. This guy plays 80% of the time bands you never heard of and won;t outside his show. I mean its in a different dimiesion from top 40 radio. polar oppisite. and even that isn;t enoguh to grt across the difference. But this man dose play and love u2. He plays u2 on a show thats as far away from the real world as posible. but u2 is on thier. At the same time, u2 is on top 40 radio with bands that are only for the here and now and will gone in a couple years. but somehow u2 is on thier. How can a band co exsist in both worlds? thats UNIQUE. Thier putting out better stuff then bands that are thier age or older.Its bascally, like, thier big enoguh to survive, but not quite big enoguh to fall off the edge after over exporsure like a backstreet boys or soemthing. Witch is good. they have longevity.They appeal to a bit of every demographic so that they still can have success. While they don't appeal to enough of one demographic be in that one demo exclusivley. Thier a classic rock band, yet not as much as like billy joel, but thier a top 40 band, but not as much as nsync, but they might be a alterative band (witch they are). but have enoguh pop sensitbilties in thier music to appeal to other people. They might be like a "80's" band, so they get the nostalga appeal, but YET, they have hits way after 1990 so thier realy not. (unlike duran duran who are a 80's band and havn't mattered since. ) So thier a big band, yet underground dj;s who play odd and weird stuff might still be into them. They experimented with techno/dance alot that they might have even attracted a few of those fans. ( not many buy some. discotuqe has been remixed and on techno complalations, it has a awesome beat ). And they might be just a good rock band that fans with no prefernces persae might just enjoy. Also, if any band that came out after the late 60's/early 70's , that people of that era should accept and listen to, even through its after thier "time" its u2. (i feel u2 is way better then crosby stills and nash, great band for its time, but what did they do after the 60s?) but then the experimentation of u2 with techno and alterative elements might turn off some old fans of the 60's and 70';s since they have no knowledge of drum machines and punk noises since thier time cuts off at like 1974. Bono has done things to try to help the world that surpass most 1960's artists efforts truth be told.
http://www.utoronto.ca/writing/parag.html

i have a friend who is also a music lover blah blah blah...

and once we were talking about U2, and he asked me how can i still be into a band that can record stuff like ATYCLB and HTDAAB...and i told him just one word:

- Zooropa.

"Ohhhh....I get it.", he said.

i feel some different things about u2. i see them as the highest selling alterative band ever. i think thier one of the best alterative bands ever (why i love u2 more then say nirvana, nirvana is THE greatest alterative band ever, they are alterative more then anyone before or after) , i feel u2 is overall one the best bands of all time overall. i also feel thier this sorta "classic rock": jr band. JR meaning, while they get some respect and airplay on classic rock raido, they still take a backseat to beatles/zeppelin/doors/bily joel/elton john/pink floyd. Because whiile thier popular stuff is pretty radio friendly, thiers still this like, thing that its still not going get the airplay the above bands get.

Casue u2 still has too many elements of alterative music in thier sound. as someone else said on here, u2 is not realy bluesy music. except for a few songs on RAH, u2 dosn't have the blueprint for thier sound that the classic rocks bands have. the blues. So thier music might not connect to the classic rock audience as much. still a little to weird. Look at u2;s influences. sure thiers beatles,dylan etc. But its realy alt bands like velvet underground and ramones and talking heads that feed thier sound. Thats why thier still a notch below the standard classic rock artirts.

But at the same time, this band gets play on many diffrent kinda radio stations. Classic rock, top 40, underground stuff, adult comtampoary, a 80' s station. etc. The biggest thing here is that, i listen to a dj named vince scelsa who is on public radio here in the new york area. This is a guy who has been on the radio for like 35 years. Back in the day of album orinented rock. back when radio mattered. This guy plays 80% of the time bands you never heard of and won;t outside his show. I mean its in a different dimiesion from top 40 radio. polar oppisite. and even that isn;t enoguh to grt across the difference. But this man dose play and love u2. He plays u2 on a show thats as far away from the real world as posible. but u2 is on thier. At the same time, u2 is on top 40 radio with bands that are only for the here and now and will gone in a couple years. but somehow u2 is on thier. How can a band co exsist in both worlds? thats UNIQUE
Thier putting out better stuff then bands that are thier age or older.Its bascally, like, thier big enoguh to survive, but not quite big enoguh to fall off the edge after over exporsure like a backstreet boys or soemthing. Witch is good. they have longevity.They appeal to a bit of every demographic so that they still can have success. While they don't appeal to enough of one demographic be in that one demo exclusivley. Thier a classic rock band, yet not as much as like billy joel, but thier a top 40 band, but not as much as nsync, but they might be a alterative band (witch they are). but have enoguh pop sensitbilties in thier music to appeal to other people. They might be like a "80's" band, so they get the nostalga appeal, but YET, they have hits way after 1990 so thier realy not. (unlike duran duran who are a 80's band and havn't mattered since. ) So thier a big band, yet underground dj;s who play odd and weird stuff might still be into them. They experimented with techno/dance alot that they might have even attracted a few of those fans. ( not many buy some. discotuqe has been remixed and on techno complalations, it has a awesome beat ).
And they might be just a good rock band that fans with no prefernces persae might just enjoy. Also, if any band that came out after the late 60's/early 70's , that people of that era should accept and listen to, even through its after thier "time" its u2. (i feel u2 is way better then crosby stills and nash, great band for its time, but what did they do after the 60s?) but then the experimentation of u2 with techno and alterative elements might turn off some old fans of the 60's and 70';s since they have no knowledge of drum machines and punk noises since thier time cuts off at like 1974. Bono has done things to try to help the world that surpass most 1960's artists efforts truth be told.

SO WHAT ONE OF THESE IS THE REAL U2? ALL OF THEM AND NONE OF THEM.

(thats the best it's going get with paragrapghs, i failed outta college :) )

Back
Top Bottom