U2 for America! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2005, 06:51 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 06:26 PM
U2 for America!

I posted a thread like this a couple of months ago, but a few people were discussing about american people etc. so the thread was closed. This has nothing to do with american people or so!

It's just that I think u2 give everything for america, and less to europe or australia. What does u2 have with america?

1. Every u2 tour begins (1st leg) in America, not in Europe!

2. America gets always 2 legs, 1st and add. 3rd

3. They write songs about american cities: Miami, New york.

4. I heard u2's 'headquarter' is based in LA or NY or u2.com, i don't know for sure. But at u2.com prices are in $.

'We're not gonna go to London or NY, we're gonna stay and base or crew in Dublin!'

right...

5. Why don't we get something like that concert on the truck in NY, for example in Paris or Amsterdam or berlin?

6. Most of the video's are shot in USA, Boston, Live at red rocks, Rattle and hum, Streets, ABOY. And now chicago! (?)

What does u2 have to do in amrica? It's not about the money. Maybe they aren't satisfied with their charts or sales. Maybe they want to be the biggest in america. They know that in europe they have all of the succes and can't climb any further....

What do you guys think,

Why is u2 so obsessed with USA?

Old 05-13-2005, 07:27 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:26 PM
Re: U2 for America!

Quote:
Originally posted by POP-ROMANCER

Why is u2 so obsessed with USA?
It's where the money is.

Old 05-13-2005, 07:28 AM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:26 PM
u2's headquarters are based in dublin... principle management does have an office in new york, but they, too, are based out of dublin.

u2 have shot many videos in europe... stay, for example, was shot in berlin.

u2 go home was shot in ireland, zootv was shot in australia, popmart was shot in mexico.

u2 have written many songs set in europe (esp. ireland, obviously) and africa.

and as for the two legs vs. one leg... look at it this way.

in two legs u2 are playing 80 arena dates in the US...

in one leg they're playing 32 stadium dates in Europe...

at a low ball average, 80 dates * 17,000 people = 1,360,000

at a low ball average, 32 dates * 50,000 people = 1,600,000

i think the idea that u2 is sooo obsessed with the US is a little over-rated.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:30 AM   #4
New Yorker

i don't know why but it does bug me too.

and i dont want this to turn into a pro/anti american thread but i do think U2 work a lot harder and give a lot more to their american fans.

theres the obvious number of concerts ameicans get versus the whole of europe or the UK in particular.

yes theres a lot more of you, yes its a bigger continent and yes, you're getting smaller conerts but i still don't believe that the numbers balance out to give people over here a fair deal either.
i remember reading recently that based on the demand U2 could have sold out 12 Croke park concert along with some blurb from management how amazing that is but they can only have 2/3.
NY has 8!
8!!!!!!
so the demand is there - if U2 can sell out 12 Croke Park concerts why not cater for more, if they 're willing to do it in NY and Chicago and Boston and other places where they have numurous concerts and return for second legs etc, why do European countries get a raw deal? where are our 4/5 concerts for London?
2 concerts - for a city this size? You've got to be kidding me.

Thats just the big stuff though, its really the little stuff that bugs me, some of which pop-romancer has listed above.
So far this year America has got ABOY/Brooklyn Bridge, COBL shoot (yes i know thats Canada, same continent tho) Chicago DVD
we got one TOTP "open air" recording which was closed off in a parking lot and you had to be under 21 to get into!

i want to know where out videos and our DVDs and our open air concerts are.

I'm not saying U2 dont shoot stuff here - there was the SYCMIOYO video in Dublin and they were on Jonathon Ross like they were SNL but it's never available to the fans - theres no invitation to all video shoots and theres no riding through cities and giving fans free concerts.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:30 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:26 PM

1. Every u2 tour begins (1st leg) in America, not in Europe!

No biggie. The first few shows aren't always the best anyway. It takes some time for the band to get back into touring.

2. America gets always 2 legs, 1st and add. 3rd

Maybe b/c they play much smaller venues here so not as many people get to go, thus more concerts are needed

3. They write songs about american cities: Miami, New york.

Oh well, it's not like those were chart toppers

4. I heard u2's 'headquarter' is based in LA or NY or u2.com, i don't know for sure. But at u2.com prices are in $.

Not a big fan of u2.com so I wouldn't care if they moved to Dublin

5. Why don't we get something like that concert on the truck in NY, for example in Paris or Amsterdam or berlin?

They do that Top of the Pops thing and BBC stuff in Europe

6. Most of the video's are shot in USA, Boston, Live at red rocks, Rattle and hum, Streets, ABOY. And now chicago! (?)

What about Slane? PopMart Mexico City? ZooTV Sydney? The new year's eve broadcast from the Point Depot? And music videos like One, Stay, Electrical Storm, Beautiful Day....I could go on and on...

"What does u2 have to do in amrica? It's not about the money."

Maybe it is about the money. Maybe we're a bigger market or a market with greater potential.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:36 AM   #6
New Yorker

Re: Re: U2 for America!

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

They do that Top of the Pops thing and BBC stuff in Europe

What about Slane? PopMart Mexico City? ZooTV Sydney? The new year's eve broadcast from the Point Depot? And music videos like One, Stay, Electrical Storm, Beautiful Day....I could go on and on...

i think the videos and stuff pop-romancer is specifically pointing out is the stuff thats been openly avilable to fans - they may have shot One in a European City but they didnt do it with thousands of fans able to watch from the side of the road and throw them a free concert when they were done.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:37 AM   #7
New Yorker

(double post)
Old 05-13-2005, 08:15 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:26 PM

Quote:

What does u2 have with america?
I think Bono answered this best at The Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame
Induction Ceremony ...
Bono mentioned in his speech how "This country (USA) has taken this band (U2) into it's bosom all the way, right from the very beginning" ...
I believe U2 are now giving the USA some extra payback ... and it's also about where the money is ... that is a given fact !!
Old 05-13-2005, 08:45 AM   #9
War Child

I don't believe U2 is doing it for the money... They have got loads of money. I think they expected more succes in the USA, after the joshua tree and that zoo tv stuff which was at the highest point of their popularity in the usa. Have a look at the charts.

And the tour: They can do a indoor first leg in europe (or maybe australia for once!), then go to usa for the 2nd leg (50 shows or something) and for 3rd leg a stadium tour in Europe.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:51 AM   #10
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

u2 have shot many videos in europe... stay, for example, was shot in berlin.

u2 go home was shot in ireland, zootv was shot in australia, popmart was shot in mexico.

Nothing more than normal!
(is this good english??)
Old 05-13-2005, 09:19 AM   #11
War Child

I don't think it has anything to do with the money--although it's a fantastic perk. I think it's b'c they're so loved here. I know they do okay in Europe too. But they're the #1 band here. Have been for a long time.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:32 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.

Ya know I could bitch about the fact that places like LA, Chicago and NYC have a lot more shows than Atlanta.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:36 AM   #13
War Child

Oh, they also said, "You've given us a good life", and I think they're showing their gratitude. Although, he could've been talking about all fans in general. Hell, I don't know. Just enjoy them. They won't be around forever.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:17 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Maybe the groupies are cuter here.

And perhaps the big push esp. in New York is part of the whole "if you can make it here, you'll make it anywhere" idea about NY.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:18 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:26 PM
Agreed. U2 has neglected other parts of the world in favor of US.

(EU alone is a bigger - and better - market than US.
Nowhere else in the world does U2 have to work this hard to get on TV and radio)
Old 05-13-2005, 11:40 AM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by digsy

i remember reading recently that based on the demand U2 could have sold out 12 Croke park concert along with some blurb from management how amazing that is but they can only have 2/3.
NY has 8!
8!!!!!!
so the demand is there - if U2 can sell out 12 Croke Park concerts why not cater for more, if they 're willing to do it in NY and Chicago and Boston and other places where they have numurous concerts and return for second legs etc, why do European countries get a raw deal? where are our 4/5 concerts for London?
2 concerts - for a city this size? You've got to be kidding me.
that's a weak argument..

NY's 8 shows @ about 20,000 people in MSG = 160,000 tickets

Croke Park has a capacity of about 80,000... so 3 shows shows at Croke = 240,000 tickets

Quote:
Originally posted by BONOppetit
I don't think it has anything to do with the money--although it's a fantastic perk. I think it's b'c they're so loved here. I know they do okay in Europe too. But they're the #1 band here. Have been for a long time.
I don't buy this argument either though. I haven't been to Europe in a while, but the amount of hate I see for U2 here is pretty significant. They are nowhere near the #1 band here. It seems to me like Europe likes the band a lot more.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:45 AM   #17
War Child

Take a look at the charts in Europe and compare it to america, they are much more popular here. And they can't sell out stadiums anymore in usa. So maybe that's why they are working harder for usa, to reach the same as here in europe.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:50 AM   #18
musicidalist

Quote:
Take a look at the charts in Europe and compare it to america, they are much more popular here. And they can't sell out stadiums anymore in usa. So maybe that's why they are working harder for usa, to reach the same as here in europe.
So I believe you have answered your own question and this whole thing can be dropped already, right?

Old 05-13-2005, 11:52 AM   #19
Refugee

Location: Ashburn, VA (and permanently residing in u2bonogirls head!)
Maybe they just like us better

yeah, yeah, I know we're reviled for all sorts of things, but maybe, just maybe they like the vast North American continent and have a romantic attachment to it. I feel that way about NY, because we used to drive through it on our way to Long Island and it looked so cool!
I also love Denver because it's where I went when I had my college years and there is a magic there for me.
So it seems that U2 came of age in America traveling the heartland, coast to coast, the desert, Chicago, LA, NY and even Miami and attach an unexplainable fascination and excitement to it.
It's not rational, it's love!
Old 05-13-2005, 11:57 AM   #20
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Miroslava

So I believe you have answered your own question and this whole thing can be dropped already, right?

that's what I think why u2 is a little america 'obsessed', I was just wondering or others think the same and what their opinions are...