U2 Fan No More...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
verte76 said:
It's the *hate* that bothers me. I don't care that there are former fans out there. I just wish they wouldn't hang their dirty laundry the way this person did. It's just plain nasty, and I don't like it one bit.:no: :no:

Me neither!!!

I don't like the word "hate" associated with U2 at all!

Precisely.

I for one, became a U2 fan because of JT, and if anything I am even more fanatical now than I was then!!

P.S. Am not however saying that I am one of "a few supermodels around here"!

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

Hey now, Bravo...just remember that a few supermodels around here got their U2 education on that fine album. :sexywink: :cool:

Last edited:
Psst..

-Alright..younger fans plez gather around..
SuperModels
Sexies
Reg folk
Happy folk
Unhappy folk
sexy folk ect..all you kids listen up-
:huh:

I was about 10 per cent serious/90 per-cent joking.. w/that comment about "Newbies" and JT era.:)
Iam GLAD you are fans.:)
There is nothing you can do about your age..ect:huh:

My issue is..the kids that became fans late and then ALL OF A SUDDEN..they are EXPERTS about everything U2!
Like "OMG OMG " Acting like their Bono's self -appointed publists ect..(which Bono HATES)
like Bono has this many pimples on his ASS
Bono has THIS many pubic hairs..or
Bono thinks exactly this way cuz Jesus told me so ect ect..

THAT is my issue..and its only w/a very few fans here.;)

Lastly-
I was w Bono back in the day when they were no-names..81/82
attending the shows when some of these late comer know it alls were STILL PEEING THE DAMN BED!:mad:

thank you..
I found these/our friends along long time ago..Im GLAD you found them too!

Peace-
DB9
:)

Last edited:
It doesn't matter when you became a fan

It doesn't matter which album/era you prefer

It doesn't matter how old you are

You can have the same level of devotion after 1 year or 20 years

You can take a break from U2 and still come back and love them just as much

You don't have to love every album/song

The people who give up because they don't like a particular song/look/album/style/haircut/band member were probably casual fans in the first place and its no big loss to U2 or the fan community as a whole

I don't know why someone needs to put out a hateful message like that webmaster did but who knows what really motivated him?

*Diamond...I know what you mean about the know-it-all kids but its different for them. When we (uh...older fans) discovered U2, there was no internet giving out all the details you mentioned :ohmy: along with new pictures up the wazoo! They usually settle down after a while! Honestly, would U2 be where they are right now without a new generation of fans discovering them during ATYCLB?

diamond said:
Yes yes I know B.A.W.
Damn kids anyhoo;)

diamond

I think you have to look at the kids who are fans as a blessing because they're always so damned enthusiastic! I became a hardcore fan at age 15 and I know I made an ass of myself with my knowledge at times...but here I am, 5 years later still going strong.

At least those kids aren't listening to Britney and all that shit!

diamond said:

My issue is..the kids that became fans late and then ALL OF A SUDDEN..they are EXPERTS about everything U2!
Like "OMG OMG " Acting like their Bono's self -appointed publists ect..(which Bono HATES)
like Bono has this many pimples on his ASS
Bono has THIS many pubic hairs..or
Bono thinks exactly this way cuz Jesus told me so ect ect..

THAT is my issue..and its only w/a very few fans here.;)

Lastly-
I was w Bono back in the day when they were no-names..81/82
attending the shows when some of these late comer know it alls were STILL PEEING THE DAMN BED!:mad:

thank you..
I found these/our friends along long time ago..Im GLAD you found them too!

Peace-
DB9
:)

Diamond, I am surprised you didn't fry for that, and I hope I will not be flamed for what I am about to say. I do agree with you to some extent, at least, as an old fart I know where you are coming from. I have never had a problem with anyone who became a fan at JT, I don't consider them newbies, and I think if they were 'casual' fans they would not be here now.

I feel the same way you do about some of the newer fans,(though other newer fans are some of the best I know) but these are the fans that annoy me:

*ages 19-24 (okay, don't jump me- not all of you of course- most of you are very cool, it's just that tends to be the 'troublesome' age group when I do have a problem with someone's attitude if all the other ingredients are there)

*came to be a fan only at POP(not all of you of course, and certainly not everyone who likes POP)

*always start and participate in 'who misses the Pop era' threads

*think they are U2 experts and know everything

*call those who do not like POP 'not real fans', etc.

*call those who dislike the Pop look "shallow" yet hypocritically make fun of other era looks. If you put down Pop or the Pop look, you are "bashing" while they claim putting down other eras is just an expression of their personal opinion, and if you disagree with them you have insulted them as a human being! Why is it not just as bad or just as justified regardless of who does it?

*knock the 80's stuff, hold a grudge against JT, and complain about ATYCLB, whining that U2 sold out win back their mainstream popularity, and are always saying how bad it is (remember though they think if you dislike one album- as long as it's POP- you are shallow and a bad fan and a crazy person!) They cannot stand that ATYCLB was a better seller and more popular than Pop and never miss a chance to criticize it. Of course we all have a right to our opinions, but it seems like you are allowed to dislike anything but Pop. Most people here are afraid to admit they do not like Pop or PopMart or the Pop look in fear of harrassment. Case in point- in the recent 'hair' poll, of the 20 some odd who voted for the Pop look, the majority of them also posted to say that. However, of the 55 or so that voted for the tour hair, less than a dozen, if that many, said it in a post. I voted after it had dropped and didn't want to bring it up again, or I would have given my long speech. The way some of these people who condemn you for not liking Pop, how could they have the nerve to pick at ATYCLB the way they do?

*sometimes I wonder if these people really like U2, or do they only like Pop? If they do, maybe they are 'not real fans' LOL!

I would like to add that the new crop of fans, usually ages 18 and under who came to be fans with ATYCLB have for the most part been wonderful, intelligent, interesting, cool and fair people who have been an asset to the U2 fan community and I am proud to know they are our future! There are also some fans in the 19-24 age group I feel that way about too. There is good and bad in every demographic group and age group. There are older fans that bug me sometimes too but most of them are cool.

I make these statements after reading this forum, other sites and four mailing lists at some time or another over the last two years. These are only my opinions, and I just wanted to state them since Diamond did.

I do have to say in response to another post that I don't believe that the same level of devotion can be achieved in 1 year as it can in 20. There is just no way, and I am not just talking about U2. I mean any band, any sports team, being attached to a town or city, a pet, or even a person. Sorry, no matter what, the longer the relationship, the deeper the feelings. I do know that it doesn't make you a 'better' fan, but there are some levels of devotion and attachment that can only come with time. That is no offense to anyone whose only crime is not having lived long enough- it's just the way it is with anything. It's like my Grandmother always telling me she was a better cook because she'd been 'cookin since before I was born.' I do think you can 'take a break' and come back strong because I did- I took one during Pop. Except for that I have been a devoted fan since 1981, and just because I didn't like one era does not make me a casual fan. I think anyone who likes anything byU2 is a U2 fan in some way. I think all of us like one or two things by some band or actor and not everything, but we never think about the 'bad fan' thing because we aren't so attached to it. That's what the key is here. We are all attached to U2 in some way, that's what brings us here and keeps us here. Let's just love the things we love about the band and each other and leave the rest behind!

P.S.- Back to the original topic, I do not agree with the way that person shut down their website.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom