U2 article on slate.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whether it's pro- or anti- doesn't really matter much. The author reveals in his second sentence ("After its disastrous '90s flirtation with irony") that he doesn't know what he's talking about. The rest of the article ("This vagueness drains U2's lyrics of any content: It is impossible to think about a U2 song.") only serves to confirm this fact.

------------------
"The Edge is a great singer. Let's get the Edge up here." - Bono, 9/23/97, Sarajevo

"Brian Eno. Edge." - Bono, 09/12/95, Modena

"Edge." - Bono, 05/01/2001, Minneapolis

"You made my day, now you have to sleep in it." - TMBG

Thanks for the post.

I think the article is very positive. I am still waiting for the backlash that I think is inevitably going to hit U2. With the exception of a very few critics, U2 is currently being universally acclaimed.

In this article, while not coming out directly saying it, the author implies that U2 are at least as great if not greater than the Rolling Stones and the Beatles when one considers that U2's acclaimed creative period of over 20 years is unsurpassed by either group.

The author (David Plotz) must be a huge fan because of the subtlety of some of his analysis. For instance, not many people notice that Bono manages to find the perfect, non-offensive combination, of arrogance and self deprecation. How many other stars can do that well?

I think this, in part, is where U2's recent unwavering critical success lies. During the JT era, U2 was insufferably serious for many. During the nineties it was a case of incomprehensible irony overload that forced some to run for the hills. Lately, U2 has combined the seriousness of the JT period with the levity it learned in the nineties. Pretty sucessful so far, but I worry that U2 is increasingly being perceived as sort of like the Microsoft of music in the sense that they are so intent on being relevant and dominant. Larry's statements in the Spin Band of the Year article clearly show signs of megalomania. Knowing the genius of U2, I wouldn't be surprised if U2's next album is more experimental, less pop, and is promoted less. Also, if there is a tour this summer, get ready for the return of the large production. Maybe not Zootv/Popmart but certainly not as seemingly understated as Elevation.

I like the following observation in the article:

"A U2 concert is one of the few places on the planet where intelligent people wave cigarette lighters without irony."

It's funny how the writer goes on and on about how ironic, contradicting, vague, etc. U2 is. But you can also see that that's exactly how he is too with in this column. IMHO, he seems amazed with the band. He can't exactly describe how he feels about them, and ends up being vague and ironic as well. He's probably a fan too.
wink.gif

Originally posted by karl:

Knowing the genius of U2, I wouldn't be surprised if U2's next album is more experimental, less pop, and is promoted less. Also, if there is a tour this summer, get ready for the return of the large production. Maybe not Zootv/Popmart but certainly not as seemingly understated as Elevation.

EEEK! I can't wait to see what happens!
smile.gif
I'm absolutely giddy after that post, karl!

"Pretty sucessful so far, but I worry that U2 is increasingly being perceived as sort of like the Microsoft of music in the sense that they are so intent on being relevant and dominant."

Haven't they always been like that anyway? It's not like they ever were modest and unambitious,
smile.gif

I informed my Staten Island Boys that Sicy gave the co-ahead to take out this David Plotz after he uttered the crass statement, "After its disastrous '90s flirtation with irony..."

CK

Back
Top Bottom