U2 albums re-mastered ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I can't wait for the extensive bitching and moaning if this comes true. :love:
That's exactly what I thought when I first saw this thread!

Anyway, personally I think it would be great, since some of those old ones certainly need some remastering.

And Bsides and the JT double disc, IF that's true, that would be so great.

Popmartijn said:

(Exit is a good example. I also think that song is too quiet at the moment. But when they remaster it, then I think the song should still start very quiet. Only then will the burst of guitars in the middle have any effect, not when Bono's whisper is as loud as Edge's guitar.)

Yeah, that's what I meant. I love how it fades up gradually from nothing, but those blasts of violence in the middle would have so much more impact if the... I dunno, the audio contrast was turned up or something.
What you said. :)

LemonMelon said:

Where The Streets Have No Name (New Mix) :drool: :drool: :drool:

that sucked.

also, i dont think you guys should expect as large an improvement in the sound of u2's albums as in the beatles albums. u2 had much, much better equipment in the 80s than the beatles had in the 60s.

Last edited:
U2Man said:
also, i dont think you guys should expect as large an improvement in the sound of u2's albums as in the beatles albums. u2 had much, much better equipment in the 80s than the beatles had in the 60s.

Which explains why the first cd pressing of JT was yanked off the market?

I also thought that the first couplealbums, B/O/W/UABRS I think, was quietly sonically upgraded in 2001 and sold a double packs?

If only for an album version of Streets with a clean mix, and Exit not being stupidly quiet - I would buy remasters.

There's really the possibility to sort out some of the instrumental parts in many 80s songs so they don't sound so muddled. Of course if they go back and remaster everything the drums will have the living shit compressed out of them like every other 00s album, probably :(

Last edited:
Im not expecting any new MIX, here...

Just as someone said before, they will probably remaster sound. To add more dinamics to digital copies, because the egzisting cd lacks of it. All albums starting with Achtung Baby had been made in digital era with digital post production. Thats the reason why they now traying to make new remaster for those old albums issued in vinyl era. I hope.

Great, some more re-releases to follow up on the book and Best of collection.

Keep the new stuff coming or hang it up.

dietcokeofevil said:

to be honest, this remastering shouldn't take up much of the band's time. so i'm not really sure where you're coming from here.

love2bmama said:
I'm firmly planted in the "u2 owns my soul" camp, I've given up even considering NOT buying an official release. You can't fight fate...:shrug:

:laugh: you can count me in that camp .
Is it :angel: or :mac: don't know . :crazy:

Last edited:
Damn, I was planning on saving this year...:scratch:

But, I will purchase these new CD's. I am particularly excited about The Joshua Tree, as a remastered version (hopefully) means that the ending of One Tree Hill will actually be in One Tree Hill, and Exit's volume might be kicked up a notch. We might also get good-looking prints on the actual CD's, maybe more extended booklets and better printing all-round.

I was thinking about this the other day strangely enough. I think if Exit is remastered, the intro needs to stay fairly quiet, as the low volume at the start gives a real good element to the song. As someone said, it gives Edge's guitar more effect.

I just hope that when (if) U2 remaster their albums they do it RIGHT both in terms of the music reproduction and the VALUE for fans.

At polar opposites in recent times are The Cure and Simple Minds. The Cure albums are all doubles with plenty of extras on the disks and in the booklets. The Simple Minds remasters are just the albums tracks - nothing more.

In my opinion the best remasters for value in the last 2 years are:

The Cure - all double albums and some great unreleased material
Manic Street Preachers - triple disks with album, demos, remixes and videos
Bruce Springsteen "Born to Run" - album plus concert & DVD
Talking Heads - dualdisk format with extras, videos and DVA sound
Adam & The Ants - enormous amount of extras on each disk plus 4-disk AntBox with even more
Alan Parsons Project - upcoming remasters sound excellent

I'd rather U2 wait until they have time and desire to give us both quality and rarities.

Last edited:
I really hope they mix also some songs new - I can only repeat it: I really hope for something like the Beatles "Love"-CD - that's just such a masterpiece for the sound aspect - I really would love to hear the Unforgettable fire this way....:drool:

I hope this ends up being true. I also hope there ends up being a limited edition box-set of all the remastered 80's albums as a single release.

I'm looking forward to this. It will be interesting to compare these remasters (if they happen) with the originals and the MFLS Ultradisc releases.

I'm still quite surprised nobody has ever put U2 albums on CDr/DVDr via burning new masters from LPs. It would also be easy to fix EXIT with some EQ-ing.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Remastered CD's...:drool:

Please remaster at least through Rattle and Hum...:yes: Bonus tracks and all that...I'd go for that :yes:

Mmm... I would appreciate a full Van Diemen's Land without the interview bit at the end... if I wanted that part I would have copied it straight off the DVD.

dietcokeofevil said:

not trying to gang up on you since i'm like the third person to quote you here, but i've bought several remastered albums by bands who are still putting out new albums.

this really won't take up much, if any, of their time at all unless the band decides to get heavily involved in the process. most remastered cds i've purchased have had band members overseeing the remaster process to some extent, though.

although of course this is all hypothetically speaking since it's still a rumour at this point.

I believe that Mr. The Edge will want to take the master recordings back to his planet to harness the technology his planet has to offer. This could, in fact, take some time. Imagine, if you will, Superman Returns. It took 2 1/2 years for Superman to go back to where Krypton once existed and then another 2 1/2 years to return to Earth. It would reasonable to assume that we could be looking at a 5-year timeline here. :wink:

Roland of Gilead said:
I believe that Mr. The Edge will want to take the master recordings back to his planet to harness the technology his planet has to offer. This could, in fact, take some time. Imagine, if you will, Superman Returns. It took 2 1/2 years for Superman to go back to where Krypton once existed and then another 2 1/2 years to return to Earth. It would reasonable to assume that we could be looking at a 5-year timeline here. :wink:

That's assuming that Edge comes from Krypton (in which case he would need a time machine as well as a spaceship, unless he can fly unprotected through space like Superman in the earlier films), or a planet near there.

Of course, if he did have a time machine he should be finished by now... hurry it up Edge! :D

I wonder how they'd expand The Joshua Tree. The key "new" track would be The Sweetest Thing, I'd think. But the B-Side version is hardly album ready; and the '98 version wouldn't fit.

Back
Top Bottom