Time to be controversial - City of Blinding Lights is CR@P

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
unnamed_streets said:

No, I'm not being hypocritical at all. I've never said that U2 followed a certain style in the 80s and another one in the 90s. They kept changing their style with every album while still making great music, a feat very few bands can boast of. Boy is different from October which is different from War..... and so on all the way up to Pop. Yes! Achtung is different from Zooropa which is different from Pop. ATYCLB on the other hand is not different from HTDAAB. That's what's disappointing. Don't tell me that Edge's guitar work on HTDAAB doesn't remind you of songs off JT!!! The innovation, experimentation and unpredictability seems to have been abandoned so that they can create hits, win grammies and become the biggest band in the world. Hey, who knows, this might just be a phase and they may wisen up with the next album.

U2 are playing to their strengths. You have a problem with that? And really, U2 have never done songs like LAPOE, A Man And A Woman, or Fast Cars/Xanax.

And Boy, October, and War aren't as dissimilar as many would have us believe.

Axver said:

1. Where The Streets Have No Name - classic
2. Bad - classic
3. The Unforgettable Fire - classic
4. One Tree Hill - classic
5. City Of Blinding Lights - dodgy
6. Heartland - dodgy
7. New Year's Day - classic
8. Acrobat -classic
9. Gone - classic

But the lyrics of COBL fit perfectly with the images and landscapes that it conjures into my mind. I can see the crowd at a concert jumping up and down in perfect unison as the whole place washes red and the organ of Streets blasts out - suddenly, nothing could be more appropriate than "oh you look so beautiful tonight/in this city of blinding lights".

This is one thing that bothers me with this song, or should I say the mix of it. The song cries out for a landscape feel to the production and mix. But it just sounds so fuc#ing lifeless, as if there is no space in the mix. Compare that to Where the streets, and that has the definite spacious sound needed for that song. They totally fuc#ed up on the mix of the song, that is one reason that I just can't listen to it on my hi-fi. I think most of the album suffers from this. Maybe if I hear this song live it will come alive, cos I know that SYCMIOYO suffers from the same thing on the album but if you hear the current live DVD single version its just from a different planet.

Anyway the top 10 is full of great songs by the way but for some glaring omisions like from the 90's (one, the fly, Zoo Station(yep i think this is one of the best songs U2 have EVER done, and other 90's songs), I have added my comments above just for the record.

I felt "City of Blinding Lights" today. . . literally!

A couple radio stations in my area have been playing "City", the full song, no edits. I was listening to the radio while driving, the volume was up loud, and I kinda had my left foot resting against the speaker, and I could feel the vibrations from the opening bass lines.

unnamed_streets said:

Yes. City rips off Last Night and Yahweh rips off Do You Feel Loved. In other words, Bono likes his work on Pop but is just being hypocritical by saying "oh..it was unfinished, we didn't intend it that way" and all that crap. What he really meant was " please start buying out albums again, we'll make them sound more radio friendly for you!"

As long as the context of the songs is different, who cares if the words are similar? BTW, Last night is a poor attempt at writing Until the end of the world part II, and Do you feel loved is an even worse attempt at writing Even better than the real thing part II. Repeating the same themes is much worse than using similar words.

You think Edge never sounds like some of his older songs? Are you saying his use of slide guitar on this album rips off Even better than the real thing and Kite?

It is impossible to keep making music for 24 years without eventually using similar words, notes, chords.

As for U2 making different music, War is not that different from Boy and October, it's just a perfected sound of those two albums. Just like Joshua Tree could be the perfected sound of Unforgettable fire, and Rattle and Hum is a more americanised variation of Joshua Tree's sound. Pop and Zooropa both owe a lot to Achtung Baby's sound.

U2 works in trilogies so of course Bomb has the chorus-verse writing All that... has. (not that U2 hasn't been using that their whole career) What is different is the mood of the album - if All that... was the uber ultimate positive album - Bomb is certainly darker. It shows in the lyrics of the songs (only 3 really positive songs), only Original of the species and maybe Yahweh could have been on All that... Another difference is there is a lot more of Edge on this album.

rjhbonovox said:

This is one thing that bothers me with this song, or should I say the mix of it. The song cries out for a landscape feel to the production and mix. But it just sounds so fuc#ing lifeless, as if there is no space in the mix. Compare that to Where the streets, and that has the definite spacious sound needed for that song. They totally fuc#ed up on the mix of the song, that is one reason that I just can't listen to it on my hi-fi. I think most of the album suffers from this. Maybe if I hear this song live it will come alive, cos I know that SYCMIOYO suffers from the same thing on the album but if you hear the current live DVD single version its just from a different planet.

Anyway the top 10 is full of great songs by the way but for some glaring omisions like from the 90's (one, the fly, Zoo Station(yep i think this is one of the best songs U2 have EVER done, and other 90's songs), I have added my comments above just for the record.

Firstly, Heartland, dodgy? Well, I guess you're entitled to your opinion, even if it's just plain wrong. Secondly, you can say 'fuck' here; you don't need to censor yourself, you know. Thirdly, I just don't hear the problems with the mix that some people have complained about. I found it really interesting when a whole thread developed around people slamming the mix, but as soon as I posted that I simply don't hear any problem, quite a number of people quickly followed me to say they think it sounds quite alright too! Fourthly, my exclusion of nineties material is only to be expected as I think it was an inferior decade for U2. And fifthly - glad to see you acknowledged One Tree Hill as classic! That song cops way too many insults for no apparent reason.

"If COBL is better than Gone, Discotheque, Mofo, Daddy's Going To Pay For Your Crashed Car, Last Night On Earth, Staring At The Sun, Kite, Numb, Walk On, Beautiful Day, When I look At The world, Miami, In A Little While...........and on and on.....well if its better than all of them songs then I am not listening to the same song as you are."

That must be it, because City is better than all that you listed, except only slightly better than Kite.

COBL is too cheesy and does have enough passion or drive to make it great my opinion of course it's still enjoyable but doesn't have the substance of Mofo or just about any of the songs named here

U2girl said:

As long as the context of the songs is different, who cares if the words are similar? BTW, Last night is a poor attempt at writing Until the end of the world part II, and Do you feel loved is an even worse attempt at writing Even better than the real thing part II. Repeating the same themes is much worse than using similar words.

You think Edge never sounds like some of his older songs? Are you saying his use of slide guitar on this album rips off Even better than the real thing and Kite?

It is impossible to keep making music for 24 years without eventually using similar words, notes, chords.

As for U2 making different music, War is not that different from Boy and October, it's just a perfected sound of those two albums. Just like Joshua Tree could be the perfected sound of Unforgettable fire, and Rattle and Hum is a more americanised variation of Joshua Tree's sound. Pop and Zooropa both owe a lot to Achtung Baby's sound.

U2 works in trilogies so of course Bomb has the chorus-verse writing All that... has. (not that U2 hasn't been using that their whole career) What is different is the mood of the album - if All that... was the uber ultimate positive album - Bomb is certainly darker. It shows in the lyrics of the songs (only 3 really positive songs), only Original of the species and maybe Yahweh could have been on All that... Another difference is there is a lot more of Edge on this album.

Nothing to add here other than :applaud:

Of course, despite your brilliant words, I'm sure those that dislike HTDAAB will completely ignore them.

U2girl said:

When I read your answers like that, I start wondering what is the organ doing in your head, you know, the big one? Is it blood cooler!? j/k

I mean, what you said is not common sense. Do you even see what you're writing?! :eyebrow:
//: "It is impossible to keep making music for 24 years without eventually using similar words, notes, chords."
WTF!?
//:"Last night is a poor attempt at writing Until the end of the world part II, and Do you feel loved is an even worse attempt at writing Even better than the real thing part II."

//:" Are you saying his use of slide guitar on this album rips off Even better than the real thing and Kite?"

:rant: :coocoo:

doctorwho said:

Nothing to add here other than :applaud:

Of course, despite your brilliant words, I'm sure those that dislike HTDAAB will completely ignore them.

Great post U2girl!

:hmm: I think I've heard that trilogy theme before. I wonder where. :D

I agree with the sentiment behind what you say but disagree with some of the points U2Girl.

However on HTDAAB, the Edge is pretty blatant about "copying himself" which is a fair criticism IMO. For instance Crumbs's solo is a blatant rip from Walk On. The song is actually very similar to Walk On musically if I remember as well in terms of what he plays during the chorus. There is a similar problem with Yahweh as well. I remember Nickelback being ripped viciously on this board for writing two songs (hits mind you) that sounded the same and when mixed together. The songs almost sounded completely identical when juxtaposed with each other. But people want to turn a blind eye, when U2 does something in the same vein which is copying one's previous work. LOL.... whatever.

Edge can reference himself as much as he wants (Beautiful Day for example) and I'm fine with it. Hell, I still like Yahweh even with the main riff being too much like One Tree Hill. But musically/ sonically, I can understand why people have problems with the album and are calling out U2 on it.

I mean Playboy Mansion and Kite has Edge playing slide guitar in a similar fashion. No problem with that b/c it's a little hard to tell. However the instances mentioned on HTDAAB are just too blatant. Sure artists, might repeat a sound or riff... especially if you've been around for a long time but that doesn't make it excuseable or exemplary (especially if you're declaring yourself the biggest and now best band in the world).

Last edited:
U2girl said:

With those opinions you crushed everything that U2 is.
Are you trying to tell us that they constatntly play the same tunes, and use the same lyrcial ideas ? Are you trying to say that they copy their own style from album to album?
Are we talking about Aerosmith here?

^No

I'd like to jump in here to say that we are only in this discussion because U2 are quite a unique band a one and only, who after so many years have built up a songbook that is one of the most impressive in terms of quality and quantity of said qualities, therefore it just shows our love the band due to the fact that we expect so much from them and even when they don't deliver greatness they knock alot of the competition away with the best of their tunes example Walk On and Beautiful Day on the much maligned ATYCLB and imo Sometimes and Fast cars of How To Dismantle, the overall albums mightn't be supurb genre defining cultural events but they still have that great songs, ok the last two albums have been lacking imo but they still have a few gems on them

Flying FuManchu said:
I agree with the sentiment behind what you say but disagree with some of the points U2Girl.

However on HTDAAB, the Edge is pretty blatant about "copying himself" which is a fair criticism IMO. For instance Crumbs's solo is a blatant rip from Walk On. The song is actually very similar to Walk On musically if I remember as well in terms of what he plays during the chorus. There is a similar problem with Yahweh as well. I remember Nickelback being ripped viciously on this board for writing two songs (hits mind you) that sounded the same and when mixed together. The songs almost sounded completely identical when juxtaposed with each other. But people want to turn a blind eye, when U2 does something in the same vein which is copying one's previous work. LOL.... whatever.

Edge can reference himself as much as he wants (Beautiful Day for example) and I'm fine with it. Hell, I still like Yahweh even with the main riff being too much like One Tree Hill. But musically/ sonically, I can understand why people have problems with the album and are calling out U2 on it.

I mean Playboy Mansion and Kite has Edge playing slide guitar in a similar fashion. No problem with that b/c it's a little hard to tell. However the instances mentioned on HTDAAB are just too blatant. Sure artists, might repeat a sound or riff... especially if you've been around for a long time but that doesn't make it excuseable or exemplary (especially if you're declaring yourself the biggest and now best band in the world).

I don't care if U2 has similar riffs, like I said - it is inevitable once a band is around for a long time (even more inevitable because it is trademark Edge sound to play chiming guitar). Discotheque's riff always reminded me of The fly's and I don't think it's any worse for it.

I never saw the similarity between Walk on and Crumbs, apart from those 15 seconds in the first solo. Same goes for Yahweh and One tree hill.
Walk on's main riff IS similar to One tree hill's, though.

Edge played slide guitar on Even better than the real thing, is he then banned from ever playing a slide again? Using that logic, U2 should have quit with October.

Axver said:

To me, COBL is a mix of some of the best elements of U2. It's both anthemic like Pride and epic like Streets. Some of the lyrics are great and some are not, but since when was that a problem? "In the naaaaaaaame of looooove", "I want to run, I want to hide", "with or without you, I can't live with or without you", "one love, one life", and so on - U2 classics often have lyrics that aren't that great when taken out of context. But the lyrics of COBL fit perfectly with the images and landscapes that it conjures into my mind. I can see the crowd at a concert jumping up and down in perfect unison as the whole place washes red and the organ of Streets blasts out - suddenly, nothing could be more appropriate than "oh you look so beautiful tonight/in this city of blinding lights".

Well said Axver. :up: :up:

U2girl said:

I don't care if U2 has similar riffs, like I said - it is inevitable once a band is around for a long time (even more inevitable because it is trademark Edge sound to play chiming guitar). Discotheque's riff always reminded me of The fly's and I don't think it's any worse for it.

I never saw the similarity between Walk on and Crumbs, apart from those 15 seconds in the first solo. Same goes for Yahweh and One tree hill.
Walk on's main riff IS similar to One tree hill's, though.

Edge played slide guitar on Even better than the real thing, is he then banned from ever playing a slide again? Using that logic, U2 should have quit with October.

Your example of Discotheque and the Fly is fine with me. They both use distorted guitar riffs that are repetitive and played over a dancebale beat. Discotheque may be a variation (there obviously isn't an infinite pool of rock guitar riffs) of what Edge did on the Fly. That is fine with me. However something like the 15 seconds of Crumbs is essentially the same thing as a part of the Walk On solo except maybe in a different key (high/ low). Hey it sounds good, and when I listen to Crumbs it fits fine BUT that is actually plain lazy IMO on the Edge's part unless the Edge is trying to play secret mind games on fans. :huh: :mad:

Yahweh is also just as blatant. Meybe he adds an extra note (can't remember). Something like that is akin to Vanilla Ice ripping off Bowie and saying, "Oh it's just different cuz I added an extra note or beat." LOL. Vanilla Ice got ripped on that excuse, a lot (but still laughed his way to the bank).

No one is saying if Edge plays slide in one song he can't play slide on other songs. The Edge just needed to be more "clever" in hiding things or be more "creative" if he is "repeating himself." Edge can play slide all he wants. BUT if he starts playing the same notes/ progressions with the same beat using the slide on an entirely different song, then there are problems. On HTDAAB, I don't think Edge had a problem of being repetive/ copy cattish on his slide work.

Last edited:
U2 is probably the only band in the world that isn't allowed to actually sound like U2. I guess you are part of the "City of blinding lights is Streets part II" crowd?

Last edited:
rjhbonovox said:

At least he doesn't beat around the bush! Says it how it is!
Shitty song, Shitty mix and shitty chorus!

Agreed:up: :up:

I don't think this is a great song either! I'd rate this song with "Crumbs..." ( a song that was put together, but not really thought out...) The best track, to me, is "A Man And A Woman", I think that love song really has alot of potiential in those lyrics. (Bono always gets his love for his wife right...I must say!!!) That song is the real deal (how can I hurt..when I'm holding you..)
EXCELLENT and really CLASSIC.

In my opinion:
great-none
good-sometimes you can't make it on your own, love and peace or else, all because of you, miracle drug, fast cars
medicore-vertigo, original of the spicies, city of blinding lights
bad-crumbs from your table, one step closer, yahweh
disaster-a man and a woman

Marr said:
but i belive that some of you will say:
great- all
good-none
medicore-none
bad-none
disaster-none

On, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and onzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........:shh:

Marr said:
In my opinion:
great-none
good-sometimes you can't make it on your own, love and peace or else, all because of you, miracle drug, fast cars

Wow! My exact thoughts. :ohmy:
(though I don't like to put One Step Closer in 'bad' section, though it's not something special...)

I couldn't disagree more with you guys.

Great: Sometimes, Fast Cars, Love And Peace Or Else, One Step Closer, Original Of The Species, Crumbs From Your Table
Good: City Of Blinding Lights, Yahweh, A Man And A Woman, Miracle Drug, Vertigo
Mediocre: All Because Of You
Bad: None
Disaster: None

Marr said:
but i belive that some of you will say:
great- all
good-none
medicore-none
bad-none
disaster-none

Now now... I find brilliance and disaster on every U2 album. It's the brilliance, though, that outweighs the disaster. And even U2's disasters are far better than most bands best. Hence why I'm a fan.

Marr said:
In my opinion:
great-none

Classic - City Of Blinding Lights
Great - Miracle Drug, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, Love And Peace Or Else, Crumbs From Your Table, One Step Closer, Original Of The Species, Yahweh
Good - Vertigo, All Because Of You
Mediocre - None
Disaster - None

The only U2 song that could possibly fall into the disaster section is Red Light.

Back
Top Bottom