This Is A Must Listen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
It's radio talk show that goes in depth on the recording process of Achtung Baby. Interviews with Eno and Lanois are included. They also deconstruct the album, sonically and lyrically. This is one of the best things on Achtung Baby I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. Start with Part 2. The Achtung Baby talk is located at the top right hand corner of the page...

http://www.soundopinions.net/realaudio.html

Last edited:
IWasBored said:
:down: i didn't like it
What was it that you did not like about it? There were some things that I did not agree with, but for the most part, I found it extremely interesting. How often do you get to listen to an entire radio show on the deconstruction of Achtung Baby?

I didn't really like it either. Maybe I know the band too well, but they just got it wrong on so many points, and that 1 dj really didn't understand the seperation of image and song. I also loved the girl who called in to say they lost Irish fans after AB because their music no longer was about the situation in Ireland. All I could think of was: "Love Is Blindness", North & South of the River", "Please." Maybe if they wrote "Monday, Murder, Monday" it would have made more sense to them.

I agree that some of the commentary was banal, and some of the call-ins were uninformed, but there were some cool things about it. Daniel Lanois' recount of the barking dog sounds of Achtung Baby and his account of 'One' was priceless. I got annoyed with the DJs at times, as well, for contradicting themselves about what they wanted Bono to be (ie, don't give us the schtick unless we happen to agree with the cause, blah blah blah), but though I found their comments off base at times, it was still entertaining and quite interesting at other times. I found it fascinating that someone actually wrote his Master's thesis on Achtung Baby and got an 'A'. Perhaps there's hope for us all...;)

daniel lanois' interview was interesting. i loved how what he was saying more or less contradicted what the djs were saying about who the true genius of the album was...they seemed to think that it was the producers, and he was tsalking about band sound...

it just bugged me how they seemed to be putting down EVERYTHING that the band did before AB.

Agreed. But we all know it has become rather fashionable to slag off 80's U2. Almost as much so as it has 90's U2. Depends which camp you're talking about. They're almost as bad as each other! Most of us diehards are fans of both eras, and some of us (myself included) don't really see them as two different eras.

too much of that 'hardcore conservative' image stereotype...i've seen it debated as to whether the band brought that stereotype upon themselves by saying that they looked too serious during the 80s and that people didn't see that tehy had a sense of humour...but these djs really bought into that idea.

i wouldn't seperate the 80s and 90s either. sure nothing on pop sounds like anything off war, but nothing on UF sounds like october...

fashionable? that says something about the djs if they're just saying stuff cos it's popular to say...

I thought it was solid. Thanks for posting it. The interview bits were worth it alone, especially the MacPhisto bit.

DJs were full of themselves, but they were undoubtedly music fans, and that made it easier to take. It's good to hear some more objective opinions. Let's face it, you're less likely to get objectivity here, and I include myself in that fact.

Thanks for the link Mr Griffiths, thats the first time i've ever got the chance to hear anything from the famous Achtung Out-takes. What amazed me about the radio show was how much of a change it caused in people who before Achtung had no time for U2. AB is still and always will be their high point, what a high point.

Back
Top Bottom