The Song 'Zooropa' - What's the verdict on this one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When the record first came out in 1993 ALOT, infact MOST U2 fans trashed it. Longtime fans were left scratching their heads.

imagine what a trashman would have thought... seeing this wonderful U2 cd in the trash.. along with what other else god awful disposables where in there. hopefully, someone took it in and gave it a good, safe home.

YOU ARE EVIL!!! :mad:

poor little zooropa spaceman guy, too. :sad:

MrBrau1 said:
When the record first came out in 1993 ALOT, infact MOST U2 fans trashed it. Longtime fans were left scratching their heads.

i thought it was great when it first came out.. but fucking weird as all hell in the beginning... but REALLY started to get it after seeing the 2nd leg of the ZooTV tour.

seeing the "Lemon" video literally put me into a shock, but i loved it. they were taking... bizaare, but mind-boggling directions and changes.. and weren't losing themselves at all. in fact.. finding more of themselves.

zooropa rules.

It was like a scandal in 1993. Dorm rooms, house parties, nites out with old high school friends. Nobody could believe how bad Zooropa was.

"This isn't U2"

"It sounds like shit"

"They've stopped rocking"

"They've lost the plot"

Nobody remembers this? Who here bought Zooropa on July 6th, 1993?

Zooropa sold just as many copies as Achtung Baby in Australia. U2 couldnt do a record now like that if they tried.

MrBrau1 said:

Nobody remembers this? Who here bought Zooropa on July 6th, 1993?

Not me. I got it after Achtung and Pop. But I DID love watching Numb, Lemon and Stay on MTV at the time! Embraced them completely! :wink:

I REMEMBER IT VERY WELL, BUT DIDNT GIVE A SHIT WTF ANYONE ELSE THOUGHT. but most of the people i knew started to like it after hating it. and liked it a lot.

so, who the hell cares what the majority consesus was? does that make it a good album or a bad album? does that mean im not allowed to like it? fuck the populace.

Sken said:
Zooropa sold just as many copies as Achtung Baby in Australia. U2 couldnt do a record now like that if they tried.

yeah, because aussies and UK'ers have taste in music and can think for themselves and are more accepting of understanding of whats good or not.

why do i live in America still? :mad:

oh, lets just throw any U2 cd we dont like every single song on, in the trash or flush it down the toilet, shall we?

i cant believe the harshness that person has towards this album. i just dont understand it. i think its genius. lets see them write something half as good as that in 20 lifetimes.

MattFromNYC said:
I REMEMBER IT VERY WELL, BUT DIDNT GIVE A SHIT WTF ANYONE ELSE THOUGHT. but most of the people i knew started to like it after hating it. and liked it a lot.

so, who the hell cares what the majority consesus was? does that make it a good album or a bad album? does that mean im not allowed to like it? fuck the populace.

I'm asking people to remember how Zooropa felt when they first got it. I thought it was crap, save the title track. I warmed up to it, but it took a while.

Now here's a new poster, who's sounds kinda in the same boat as everyone else on July 6, 1993, and everyone here is dumping on him? In a thread praising Zooropa?

All I meant was that Dave Matthews fans LIVE to bash anything and everything to do with Everyday, overlooking the fact that the actual song (live version) is a fantastic song in the mold of the classic DMB sound.

Oh, sorry. Totally misread that.

MrBrau1 said:

I'm asking people to remember how Zooropa felt when they first got it. I thought it was crap, save the title track. I warmed up to it, but it took a while.

Now here's a new poster, who's sounds kinda in the same boat as everyone else on July 6, 1993, and everyone here is dumping on him? In a thread praising Zooropa?

well the reason we were able to come to enjoy the album is because we didn't throw away the cd

kind of makes it impossible for him to warm up to it when its in the trash :wink:

MrBrau1 said:
Who here bought Zooropa on July 6th, 1993?

:wave:

I didn't like babyface but apart from that I loved it; listened to it all summer.

I cannot believe that was over 10 years ago.:down: :tsk: :yikes: :faint: :shrug:

Zooropa.

An amazing, epic piece of music.

It's musically diverse, multi-leveled, it's a friggin' manifesto for the perfect, futuristic consumer-driven paradise. Just listening to it I see visions of this futuristic glass city with mirrorball lemons riding around on monorail tracks, the orange Popmart PA system sitting in the middle of the city as a giant monolith....

Ahhhh, Zooropa.

BTW Dave Matthews fans bash the CD Everyday because it sucks, not because it has a self titled song on the album.

MrBrau1 said:

im just referring mostly to the guy who threw his copy in the literal trash and is acting like an ass. it made me physically ill when i read that. and it does concern me that so many people forget about lemon, numb, stay, daddy's... crashed car..., dirty day..... ok, so theres like 3 songs that arent AS great,.. so what? Joshua Tree and UF werent so perfect all the way through either.. now were they? unlike Achtung Baby, of course. but then again, ive read of people saying they HATE songs like "ultraviolet" and "love is blindness", etc.. which.. really concerns me worse than the Zooropa thing.

Chizip said:

well the reason we were able to come to enjoy the album is because we didn't throw away the cd

kind of makes it impossible for him to warm up to it when its in the trash :wink:

True.

Then how did he come to like the title track?

This thread says alot about Interference hospitality.

I didn't buy it on the day it came out, only because a good friend of mine won a copy from a radio station and was sending it to me as an early birthday present. I had to wait a whole week for it to show up in my mail ... the longest week of my life! :wink:

I can't remember exactly what I thought of it when I first heard it, but I'm betting it took a while for it to grow on me. In recent years it was near the bottom of my "favorite U2 albums" list, but now it's moved back up.

I think the only songs I don't care for on it are "Numb" (it used to be awesome, but I don't think it's held up well) and "Some Days Are Better Than Others" (although I don't hate it like I used to). Oh, and "Babyface," which falls a little short. But the rest of the songs are great enough to make up for the ones I like less.

"Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car" doesn't get nearly enough attention, I think. LOVE that song. Gotta love dark, sexy stuff. :drool:

Chizip said:

yes, thats what im saying,. the asswipe threw it out without even giving it a chance.. and makes it sound like hes a the King of U2 fans... and the number one U2 fan. if anything.. kind of makes me think the total opposite.

"oh, i've tried for a few days... dont like it.. lemme throw it out.. in the literal trashcan.."

now, maybe he tried to hard to like it.. that doesnt work either. like straining to hard to take a tough.. blocked shit.. you only hurt yourself and bust blood vessels in the process.

btw, the title is a spinoff on some nazi wwII battle plan name or something isn't it?

*disclaimer: I do not mean to offend anyone here with the word nazi. I am simply asking a question regarding the album title. I do remember seeing an article that mentioned this back then.*

corianderstem said:
I didn't buy it on the day it came out, only because a good friend of mine won a copy from a radio station and was sending it to me as an early birthday present. I had to wait a whole week for it to show up in my mail ... the longest week of my life! :wink:

I can't remember exactly what I thought of it when I first heard it, but I'm betting it took a while for it to grow on me. In recent years it was near the bottom of my "favorite U2 albums" list, but now it's moved back up.

I think the only songs I don't care for on it are "Numb" (it used to be awesome, but I don't think it's held up well) and "Some Days Are Better Than Others" (although I don't hate it like I used to). Oh, and "Babyface," which falls a little short. But the rest of the songs are great enough to make up for the ones I like less.

"Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car" doesn't get nearly enough attention, I think. LOVE that song. Gotta love dark, sexy stuff. :drool:

yup,. i love the Zoo TV Sydney version of Crashed Car. good shit!

JOFO said:
btw, the title is a spinoff on some nazi wwII battle plan name or something isn't it?

*disclaimer: I do not mean to offend anyone here with the word nazi. I am simply asking a question regarding the album title. I do remember seeing an article that mentioned this back then.*

LOL!!!

I thought it was just like a spinoff of AB and the theme of the times.. regarding Europa.... so, a kind of U2-ish Utopia.. known as "ZooRopa"... i dunno.

MattFromNYC said:

like straining to hard to take a tough.. blocked shit.. you only hurt yourself and bust blood vessels in the process.

:scream:

Zooropa, the album, not the title track, was one I had to grow into. If that makes any sense. :huh: I mean, what the hell did I know in 1993? I've always liked the album but I didn't "feel it" until later. Don't mind me if that makes no sense either. :wink:

Chizip said:
am i the only person that actually likes the song Babyface?

I like it too. I forgot to list that, too.. I noticed I missed out "Numb" once, too.. though I thought I typed it in. i was so pissed off my mind was in a bend.

"babyface" is good, but it isnt like the other songs, imho.. but yes.. its up there. i dont dislike ANY song off Zooropa.. just the other ones are immensely great... and their weight alone makes it a great album.

Back
Top Bottom