The Saints Are Coming video - Version 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edgette

ONE love, blood, life
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik3h-_2lXyM

I'm a bit confused why there had to be a second version made.

This new version has "BBN" cut out and has more shots of the bands in its place, the part with the Army helping the Red Cross is extended in this version, and there are less band shots at the end to include footage of "victims" smiling and thanking the troops.

It really seems to me like the director went in and made a "happy ending" version of this video because so many people didn't understand it.

I prefer the original.

Wow, that's weird. It's almost like the networks they were mimicking complained or something.

Very strange.

I don't know... after reading your post it seemed to me like they were backing down from the statement made in the first video.

But now that i've seen the 2nd video that doesn't seem to be the case.

Are there really a lot of people who didn't understand the first video?

I don't think this is a 'happy' version at all, if so many people didn't get it then it seems to made they just made it easier to understand.

To me it seems to be just as critical as the first one?

The 'mission accomplished' banner, was that also in the first video?

Bush-mission-accomplished.jpg

Nice touch...

That "Mission Accomplished" banner was not in the first one as far I recall.

I wonder which one they'll show on TV now. The original version debuted on VH1's top twenty this weekend.

This should be interesting.

I agree, the "Troops Greeted as Liberators" and "Mission: Accomplished" headlines REALLY bring the point home.

Both versions r good.

I like the second one a little bit better. But has anyone else noticed that they were posted by two different users? Is it possible that the second one is a really, really good fan edit? Why would the record co. use two usernames?

u2thewho said:
I think they're both kind of obnoxious, but well made and creative, especially the snide references in the second.
Hehe, this second version of the video is like most of U2's 'new mixes'. It's not any better than the original, it's just different and puzzling not by much.

The only thing that I think they did better was that very last scene with the disappearing tanks in that last shot

Last edited:
I really don't like either...I love U2 but I think just the video idea is too sarcastic taunting and cruel...its like watching one of those negative campaign ads.

POSITIVE thought though: I love some of the shots of the bands...especially the one where they show Larry in the foreground and Tres Cool in the background syncronizing their drumming...I loved that shot

Last edited:
I guess if you hadn't already seen the first, you would like the second. I prefer the first, and I hate it when everything has to be explained. Can't people figure things out for themselves?
I do like the fact that you get to see more of the bands in the second. Especially Larry.

When I clicked on the link, I got a message saying, "this is a private video. Make sure you accept the sender's friend request."

I wonder if this is a legit video or something someone has reedited themselves. What think?

Me too... I was able to view number 1 or what I think was number 1 on Youtube but number 2 appears to be private. I don't like #1 though too much of a message

silvrlvr said:
When I clicked on the link, I got a message saying, "this is a private video. Make sure you accept the sender's friend request."

I wonder if this is a legit video or something someone has reedited themselves. What think?

The 2nd one was absolutely not made by a fan or something.

It definately contained footage (shots of tanks and troops) shot for the video which was not included in the first video.

Do you think they've put it up as sort of a focus group-style experiment?

I suspect that because it was released pre-election that the original Saints video has not been played in some places, so perhaps this one was put together as a substitute. After tomorrow it doesn't matter anyway.

Okay, it's now posted without the "private video message." Do a search for "U2" and "Green Day" and it pops right up.

It is definitely toned down from the original version. While I like seeing the concert footage, I don't think it packs as much political punch. Why hedge your bets?

I have it saved in .flv format. If anywone volunteers to convert it to or something more convenient for public consumption, I'll send it along, or if you all wanna dl the .flv player. But give me a day, I'm rather busy at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom