The remake of Stay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny Swallow

Bad Daddy Johnny
icon14.gif

It's interesting to see the reinterpretation of a classic, it seems so out of the ordinary for Bono to go back like this. Parts of it show much passion in his vocals.

The string section is very well done.

The choir section at the end is very beautiful and haunting at the same time.

icon13.gif

No bass line. (The real secret to the song, other than the lyrics.)

I know the strings take on the part of the guitar melody but that oh so familiar guitar line that Edge plays doesn't translate to strings as well as it needs to.

The song just doesn't seem to flow, it has a very fragmented feel to it...mainly because of the missing bass line I believe.
------------------
I think that is was a treat that the band allowed it to be released considering it had already been on an album in a different form. I wouldn't consider it a failure or a disapointment, considering that for a song to attain greatness the first time is hard enough. And the original Stay was indeed an all-time great for U2. Having U2 experiment with greatness is always a joy.

OVERALL:
icon14.gif
A gift to the hardcore.

Last edited:
I thought it was just decent...the strings and choirs and such were nice, but I thought the vocals were boring. The combination is somewhat soporific, actually. But I still like it because it's another version of a song I happen to like quite a bit.

To be honest this is a good change, thats all.A U2 song is hard to appreciate until all four are on it.

Back
Top Bottom