The Please video/single/live version/guitar solo adoration thread!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
408831.jpg
408832.jpg

408833.jpg
408834.jpg

A very good song on POP became one of the greatest U2 songs ever when made into a single and consequently performed live. This is an appreciation of everything Please... the lyrics, the images, the rhythm section, the voice, the guitar solo... Shower your love right here! :love: :heart:

408835.jpg

Please is my third favorite song...probably due to my undying love for what you just stated above. I hate the title 90's SBS, because it blows SBS out of the water. The lyrics are some of Bonos best work on his best lyrical album. Musically it is excellent, but it really comes alive in the single version and live. Popmart Paris is one of the best renditions of any u2 song i have ever seen live. Overall im not a big music video fan, but Please and Vertigo are my 2 favorite videos.

September, streets capsizing
Spilling over down the drains
Shards of glass, splinters like rain
But you could only feel your own pain

October, talk getting nowhere
November... December... remember
Are we just starting again?

Maybe my favorite bono lyric ever.

I love YOU for making this thread :love:

Please is amazing. It was 5/5 on the album as far as I'm concerned, and it only got better from there. Even though Discotheque is my favourite song from Pop, Please is my favourite live song from Pop. Live Please blows me away. The bridge with Larry's SBS drumming and some rather eerie lyrics, and of course the end with Edge's gorgeous solo and Bono just vocally going nuts...and then the perfect transition into Streets... :drool: I'd say it's in the top 5 of U2's best live songs, and I really really hope they play it on the third leg.

Of course the single version is excellent and I love the music video, one of U2's finest. Very strange, arty, and powerful. Bono's look on it is amazing, he looks like he is really pleading with you...he looks so sad :sad:

Great posts, both you guys! :up: This thread is the effect of me watching the video while making dinner... and just getting lost in the guitar solo and those powerful images! No... my food didn't get burnt. :wink:

The Please live mural cut? I may have watched it... I don't even remember. The thing is I had to give away that History Mix DVD when I sold back my limited edition 90s 'best of' (which sucked!). :mad:

Guess I'll probably never be able to watch it again. :sigh:

Zoot, do you have ANY copy of Please live?

I worry about you, you know. Sometimes I worry that poor Zootlesque doesn't have all the things a proper U2 fan should. No Mexico City video...:shame:

:lmao: Thanks. Umm... I have Please Mexico City on audio.. seguing into Streets. :drool: Video... umm.... I used to have a taped copy of Please/Streets. Not anymore. I need to get Popmart on VHS/DVD! :mad:

The performance of Please in Sarajevo is easily one of U2's greatest moments. That performance is perfect, even with - or perhaps because of - Bono's voice being shot to pieces. It's so intense and absolutely wonderful.

Please just an amazing never really liked it orginally, heard a live recording and was blown away, I gave the studio verision another listen and couldn't believe how i used to dislike such a amazing song.

Joshua87 said:
Please is my third favorite song...probably due to my undying love for what you just stated above. I hate the title 90's SBS, because it blows SBS out of the water. The lyrics are some of Bonos best work on his best lyrical album. Musically it is excellent, but it really comes alive in the single version and live. Popmart Paris is one of the best renditions of any u2 song i have ever seen live. Overall im not a big music video fan, but Please and Vertigo are my 2 favorite videos.

September, streets capsizing
Spilling over down the drains
Shards of glass, splinters like rain
But you could only feel your own pain

October, talk getting nowhere
November... December... remember
Are we just starting again?

Maybe my favorite bono lyric ever.

Indeed!!!

Here's my take on Please.

The studio version, like many POP songs is good (by U2's standards), but not great.

The single version is a great improvement, and it really shows off just how good the song really is.

The live version is beathtaking. It's the best song from POP when performed live, and it's made all the better when you hear Streets performed at it's tail.

The video, I don't like. I "get" it just fine. But I still don't like it. I'd rather watch the video for Vertigo. It's just boring, nothing special, bleh.

Please is one of those songs that i wasn't into in the beginning...not that i had anything against it...just didn't listen to it much. but it's starting to grow on me, the more i listen to it. right now i'm listening to a live version of this song...and it's REALLY good...way better than the studio version, IMO.

:drool: How someone couldn't love that video?!?!?

I discovered that video last year on a friday night...I watch it and start crying and crying!!! GOD, it's so SAD, where Bono is in front of some clouds....just the lyrics!!! Anyway, that night I cried and cried, my parents were like ?, what's going on!!!So before going to bed, I showed the video at my dad...and he was also crying a little!!! Anyway, that week-end I was really obssessed with that video, I watch it over and over again, in the end my mother told me like to stop watch it, coz I was just crying...

I still watch it from time to time, and it as the same effect, I JUST LOVE THAT SONG+ VIDEO+BONO+...
That song is mind-blowing, heartbreaking...:(

I remember U2 performing Please at MTV awards in 1997 if I am right? First time I had seen that song played live and it completely hooked me. Always loved the song and the live version brings out completely new dimensions. Have no idea why they have not played Please (and Gone for that matter) on this tour...

Back
Top Bottom