The New Album "Predictions" Thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I just posted this in another thread, but I think it would be cool to use it to start a "Predictions" thread...

The next U2 album (working title Hanover Quay) will be harder edged than ATYCLB, but don't expect to hear The White Stripes or The Vines when you hit play on that marvelous first day of release. What you will hear are simple, yet intricate guitar riffs - and trust me, *cool* riffs - which will be high in the mix. You'll hear Adam on this record, too - but nothing too complicated. This will be a great, high energy record. As usualy, there will be ballads too, but the album will be nicely balanced, not bogged down. Also on this record, you'll find U2's new gift for the "tune" firmly established. Simple tunes. Tunes that rock. It may not be the most innovative U2 record of all time, but it will have some experimentation, and a couple tracks that will blow you away. This will be the next logical conclusion of E-Storm. This is where U2 have been heading all along, but this won't be the last album.

Highlights will include:

* 'Original of the Species'
* 'All Because of You'
* 'One Step Closer To Knowing'
* 'Full Metal Jacket' (provisionally titled)

This album might have the most songs of any U2 release thus far, with a total of 12 or 14 tracks - definitely not 13 - (you didn't think they were going to keep all those ATYCLB b-sides to themselves, did you?). Luckily, many of the ATYCLB "b-sides" are really first rate tracks that didn't fit into the intended vision of ATYCLB. A few of them will fit on this record, though.

I gaurantee that once you hear some of these new songs, you'll be ecstatic.

U2 will be spending the next few months on and off in the studio, working on new songs that haven't even been written yet. They should be finished recording by August. Expect the album in November, 2003. Trust me: this album will deliver.

Just my opinion, of course.

Last edited:
I predict that the band will put together some solid time in the studio the rest of the winter into early spring. I think 2 or 3 songs left over from "Behind" will make it because Lanois was quoted as saying something like, "the harder tunes that we put the most time on ended up not making the cut" i think he means here Bulldozer, Species, and Sun Moon Stars. These songs though will have changed since their original form a couple of years ago.
If I have ever learned one thing about U2, it is the simple fact that they never release the same album twice...so what does that mean....well to me they will stray from "Behind" by making the album harder...musically and subject wise. I mean the only real "rockers" on the album were "Elevation", "New York" and maybe "Beautiful Day". They could put together 5 or 6 rockers with a couple of ballads and experimental material. I don't see them putting out 14 songs though. As they have proven in the past...just because they have a huge amount of material it doesn't mean the album will have it. (although I would welcome that change)
I hope that Mike Hedges produces the album seeing he helped bring the band together on the new remixes and I think he did a good job. Lanois and Eno will not be around for this one. I think they will put together as many songs as they can and then feel out for a producer. (aka Hooper....then moved to Howie B and Flood for POP)
The events of 9/11, the quest to save africa, edges wedding, and perhaps the death of his father could influence the lyrics of the album.
I do believe that the songs will be good and the guitar will live on in Edge's hands. Just don't wait to long......:wink:

Swan, I agree with you that Bono's dad's death will be influential on this record. I also agree that neither Eno nor Lanois will produce the record. Mike Hedges is a safe bet, but I wouldn't be surprised if an entirely different producer emerges on the scene. I remember Bono saying he wants to work with The Neptunes, though I can't see it happening just yet. I love the work that Nigel Goodrich does for bands like Radiohead and Travis, but I don't think his style fits too well with U2. He produced the "Hallelujah" version of 'Walk On for U2 and, though I like the piano sound of the opening, I found it too distilled (for U2). One thing about U2 that is tough to get away from - because it's always worked so well for them - is their "muddy" sound. They build a wall of sound, that somehow blends beautifully into a wash of sonics and feeling. Goodrich tends to "compartmentalize" everything into discernable layers. U2 has ventured into that territory with Flood on Pop and, though it was a welcome change on Pop, I don't think it's the most flattering sound for them, generally speaking - not with Goodrich anyway. Their whole sound would change, and I think that certain intangable - that makes U2's sound so unique - would be missing. That's just my opinion, mind you.

I say bring forth Colplay's producer, Ken Nelson, and have Edge work with him! I think that would be brilliant.

Last edited:
album release: october 2003
producer: The Edge with engineering credits to Hedges
this album won't rock in the true sense of the word (but U2 hasn't really rocked since War, so no surprise there), but the guitar will have a more prominent place than we're used to
less backing vocals for Edge more overdubs of Bono's voice

I have no idea but it will be interesting

I think we're definitely in for a higher energy sound than previous efforts. Maybe even harder rocking... but no more so than Last Night on Earth. I also think we'll see the riff from the Electrical Storm demo making an appearance in a new song. (Perhaps they purposely decided to withhold this classic Edge riff so not to give too much of a hint as to what is coming)

As for lyrics, I do think Bono will be a little more poetic, and darker, although not to the extent that Pop was. Back during the recording of ATYCLB I remember the band stating that they were purposely aiming to create 'joyous' music, and Bono said that he didn't want to be deep in his lyrics; people supposedly didn't identify with deep lyrics. Given current events however, I think he'll come up with some poignant, and poetic lyrics this time 'round.

Edge is going to show everyone what he can do. Moreover, he'll come as close as he ever has to achieving the U2 live sound.

Lastly, expect lots of Larry. :D

All in all, I truly think we're in for a hell of a ride.

Dorian Gray, I agree with you that Bono's lyrics may return to the poeticism of yore, if 'The Hands That Built...' are any indication. BTW, which classic U2 riff (from E-Storm) are you thinking of? I'm guessing it's the one near the end, before Edge starts wigging out. It's the one that sort of sounds like the guitar in the live version of 'Trying To Throw Your Arms...', correct?

Oh, must ask: what's it like over there in Nova Scotia after the world junior loss to the Russians? (Not sure if you're a hockey fan, but just thought I'd ask!)

Michael Griffiths said:
Dorian Gray, I agree with you that Bono's lyrics may return to the poeticism of yore, if 'The Hands That Built...' are any indication. BTW, which classic U2 riff (from E-Storm) are you thinking of? I'm guessing it's the one near the end, before Edge starts wigging out. It's the one that sort of sounds like the guitar in the live version of 'Trying To Throw Your Arms...', correct?

Oh, must ask: what's it like over there in Nova Scotia after the world junior loss to the Russians? (Not sure if you're a hockey fan, but just thought I'd ask!)

Do you remember the BBC demo version of Electrical Storm? During the chorus Edge played this ascending/descending riff that ended up not being in the final mix. I've always loved that and I hope we'll see it again.

As for the hockey game.... well... it was a bit of a let down of course. Everybody I'd talked to was a little upset, but I think we've recovered now. :)

The album will rock, thru and thru. Some really deep lyrics from Bono. Larry will really rock on this record, as will Adam. Edge's might even try using a few power chords, and really drive this record home. There will be three distinctive tracks on this album that really stand out. One will be the hardest rocking song U2 has ever created, and it'll amaze us all. The second standout track will contain a lengthy instrumental after the main song ends, and it'll showcase U2 as we've never seen them before. The third standout will be a ballad.....the most powerful ballad of their career, and it will be the big single. Expect less backing vocals from Edge....but he'll make up for it possibly with a lead vocal on one of the tracks. That'd be cool.

Again, I'm just predicting.

this thread is amusing. I really have no idea what they'll come up with sonically; although it's a safe bet bono will write some decent lyrics this time. the reason I say I have no idea is because when everyone was making predications before atyclb, when I finally heard it I was like "this is it?".
I do love it, but I was surprised by it's simplicity after a record like pop.

I think it will be full energy, more than ATYCLB.

Beats will stay rock, no more experiments with new beats/ djs.

More very clean electronic sounds than on ATYCLB, which was fine but very stipped, very "down". A fuller sound.

Might be a flow of tension building up and releasing again throughout the whole album.

Maybe full fledged intros, like on the Discotheque remix, or the Orbit ES.

I?d love some piano though,... one ballad... but I doubt that?s the direction they?re heading w the new tracks. Could be a high paced guitar album.

11/12 tracks, not 14.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

Might be a flow of tension building up and releasing again throughout the whole album.

I?d love some piano though,... one ballad... but I doubt that?s the direction they?re heading w the new tracks. Could be a high paced guitar album.

11/12 tracks, not 14.

Nah, there will be at least one ballad on the album that takes the piss out of with or without you. You'll see. I like the thoguht about the tension. Bono is a very tense man right now, with his tireless efforts to promote AIDS awareness and so forth. So this album will be angry in parts. I can't wait!

Well, sure there will be one ballad at the very least.

Yes, tension/ relax is so important. It will be intersting to see, f.e., which song they put before of ES. You know the start of the song... and the end of the other has to match. It could be the same key, or the same chord, or similar sounds... I would prefer less fade outs than normally, too.

Back
Top Bottom