The most Irish sounding U2 songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ifeelnumb84

War Child
I got to thinking and, well, U2 doesn't really have many songs that scream out "hey, we're Irish, can't ya tell." Here are the few that I think sorta do:
Tomorrow
Van Diemen's Land
Drowning Man (I don't know why, just does it for me)
Running To Stand Still
North And South of The River
Sunday Bloody Sunday

Wild Irish Rose!

Van Diemen's Land as well, since I know two other songs that use the exact same tune and cite it as "(Irish or English) traditional." My R&H CD case is too deep in the closet to dig out, anyone know how U2 credits their tune?

Last edited:
An Cat Dubh
A Sort of Homecoming
Bad
Shadows and Tall Trees (esp. the part "Mrs. Brown's washing is always the same")

I dunno... I've always thought most of the songs in Boy to UF sound pretty Irish sounding to me. :huh:

Last edited:
Tomorrow and Van Diemen's Land are the ones for me. Maybe Tha Hands That Built America too a bit. It would be a great idea if they did an Irish sounding song for the next album, maybe an Irish sounding rocker. :ohmy:

Tomorrow
A Sort Of Homecoming

Non-U2 tracks:
You Made Me The Thief Of Your Heart
In The Name Of the Father

If we're talking non-U2 tracks too, then how can we overlook In A Lifetime? Some of Bono's best work there.

I used to think along these lines, but nowadays I hear Ireland in alot of U2's music. Even without the so-called traditional Irish instrumentation. A couple of examples off the top of my head would be Pride and the intro to Miracle Drug.

To me the musical imagery of Pride is set in Ireland's gray and misty side. As for the Miracle Drug's intro, that one sounds very rooted in an Irish perspective to me. It's the sound and imagery of sitting on an Irish cliffside overlooking the ocean and/or the world and seeing great promise.

Please... not in sound, but knowing the lyric refer sharply to the conflicts in Ireland of the time.

This probably doesn't count so I'll say "Tomorrow".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom