The latest Bono quote on the new record....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Did he really say this in Boston?

Q: "Should fans expect an album in similar vein to All That You Can't Leave Behind?"

A: "...well, let me put it to you this way: on our last record, the best song was 'Kite'. On this record, every song is at least as good as that one - and some of them are better."

Or am I dreaming out loud once again?

Must be a slow week in album news!

:wink:

Last edited:
Didn't hear that....I did hear that he told Anderson Cooper of CNN that the album would be out in November (not a shocking revelation):wink:

Why is Bono not teasing us this time around?!? My favourite pre-ATYCLB release Bono quote:

"We have just finished 15 of the best U2 songs ever recorded, and we now we have to choose our favourite 10 to 12 tracks."

Talk about hype. And talk about a set up for disappointment. That's probably why they're being so quiet this time! I'm hoping the album is so good, it doesn't need to be over-hyped.

I'd have to say that 'Kite' is the lone song on ATYCLB that has the U2 magic of their classics. It doesn't sound forced at all. I remember reading somewhere it came together in one evening. The emotion of the song is charged, not contrived. I think it's their best song since 'Stay'.

Michael Griffiths said:
I'd have to say that 'Kite' is the lone song on ATYCLB that has the U2 magic of their classics. It doesn't sound forced at all. I remember reading somewhere it came together in one evening. The emotion of the song is charged, not contrived. I think it's their best song since 'Stay'.

Exact words repeated :wink:

My answer remains same. Pop has some of the best U2 works.

However i agree that Kite along with "beautiful day" and "new york" are the best songs in ATYCLB.

AcrobatMan

Michael Griffiths said:
Why is Bono not teasing us this time around?!? My favourite pre-ATYCLB release Bono quote:

"We have just finished 15 of the best U2 songs ever recorded, and we now we have to choose our favourite 10 to 12 tracks."

Talk about hype. And talk about a set up for disappointment. That's probably why they're being so quiet this time! I'm hoping the album is so good, it doesn't need to be over-hyped.

:rant: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Why U2 still don?t want to put 14 or 15 songs in an album ??? :(
WHY ?????:sad:

Michael Griffiths said:

I remember Bono say this album "will burn down all our previous works" (huge hype IMO) and that its "so good it won't even matter people are sick of U2."
Also "We are getting closer to making the music we have always wanted to make. There is a difference between the music that you hear in your head and what you put on a CD. Your grasp is sometimes further than your reach, and right now this band is on fire and about to do its best work. That excites me."

I thought ATYCLB had some stellar moments; Beautiful day, Stuck in a moment, Walk on (like it a bit less now), Kite and In a little while is U2 at its best since AB.

:shrug: I don't know...can they really pull off something that will be the third part to JT and AB? The third masterpiece?

Last edited:
ATYCLB was a great CD, but "Kite" was the best song.. If Bonovox did actually say this, that makes me even more excited to hear the new album. But "Kite" is one of my favorite u2 songs, thats some tough competition.

Yes. Bono has also been recently quoted as saying,

This is the best record ever recorded in the histroy of man kind. These are the 18 best songs since the creation of sound.

He may have been talking about ATYCLB, but who knows.

ZigZag said:
Yes. Bono has also been recently quoted as saying,

This is the best record ever recorded in the histroy of man kind. These are the 18 best songs since the creation of sound.

He may have been talking about ATYCLB, but who knows.

My friends... Bono said the same before "Pop", before "ATYCLB" and now before this new album :censored:

of course bono is going to talk it up like its their best stuff yet

what do you expect him to say, "its almost better than the joshua tree, not quite as good as achtung baby, a bit better than unforgettable fire and better than pop"?

StlElevation said:
of course bono is going to talk it up like its their best stuff yet

what do you expect him to say, "its almost better than the joshua tree, not quite as good as achtung baby, a bit better than unforgettable fire and better than pop"?

Yeah but for him to say " These are our best songs ever recorded" no one's gonna believe that, he should say something like "we got a damn good album and i hope our fans enjoy it"

it generates hype about the album and gets people talking about it more than just saying its a good album

Sadly, Hystory doesn?t lie my friends :( I mean, I can?t remember ANY bands since The Beatles until now who have released their LAST album recorded as their truly best, a masterpiece, etc :banghead:

If we check our Band?s records, we?ll find their best album always was about their first ones or middle career ones, for example:

The Beatles: Revolver or Sgt Pepper
Radiohead: Ok Computer
Pink FLoyd: Dark Side Of The Moon or The Wall
Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin IV or Physical Graphitty
AC/DC: Live or some one from the 70?s
Kiss: Alive I or some one from 70?s
Peter Gabriel: So or Us
Phil Collins: But Seriously
Genesis: The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
Yes: Close To The Edge or Relayer
Sting: The Dream Of The Blue Turtles
Guns N?Roses: Appetite For Destruction
Nirvana: Nevermind
Oasis: What?s The Story ( morning glory ) ?
Deep Purple: Machine Head or Made In Japan
Queen: A Night At The Opera

etc, etc, etc.... and....

U2: Joshua Tree or Acthung Baby !!!!
:( :(

So, to be honest, I?m not expecting their ultimate master piece, I?m just expecting a good album, that?s all :confused:

Since when has U2 been a typical rock band? Of the big rock bands and singers out there who are still around, how many of them do you know who bring out their new music onto the setlist and the fans go nuts?

Rolling Stones?
Sting?
Prince?
Guns N Roses?

Heh...Guns and Roses...the point is, U2 is the only huge rock band that can play "Beautiful Day" or "Walk On" or whatever and everyone be as excited as if they were playing "Streets". I really don't think the aging rock band "curse" applies to them.

Michael Griffiths said:
Did he really say this in Boston?

Q: "Should fans expect an album in similar vein to All That You Can't Leave Behind?"

A: "...well, let me put it to you this way: on our last record, the best song was 'Kite'. On this record, every song is at least as good as that one - and some of them are better."

Or am I dreaming out loud once again?

Must be a slow week in album news!

a slow week indeed... :hmm:

I don't know Mr Griffiths, I think you've been dreaming out loud again.

:wink: I will agree with Bono on Kite being the best song on ATYCLB. It's just a fact.

As far as Bono running his mouth on about the "new" album it's only natural for him to say things that will make our *eyes roll* up into the back of our heads. That's his job and he's really good at it.:applaud:

I'm on board with "kite" as the masterpiece of ATYCLB - it is simply a classic that really should have been released as a single in the US (it wasn't was it?)
I would actually be a bit worried if Bono didn't think the new album wasn't the best thing that was ever released/God came directly down and hit u2 in the face and said "thou will record the best damn record in the history of the spoken word/sound" because my take on u2's recording process is that they put everything into the ablum and leave themselves completely exposed - for that it best be great or what's the point?

Last edited:
ponkine said:
Sadly, Hystory doesn?t lie my friends :( I mean, I can?t remember ANY bands since The Beatles until now who have released their LAST album recorded as their truly best, a masterpiece, etc :banghead:
If we check our Band?s records, we?ll find their best album always was about their first ones or middle career ones, for example:

I really hate to see words 'last, album, and U2' close to each other, please don't do that people. I swear my heart stopped there for a second!

unfortunately, vivaSA, it WILL HAPPEN one day.:(

I think we need to always keep that thought in the back of our minds.

When U2 decide "time's up", we owe it to them to love them enough to let them go and find their own ways in life. :wink:

But, hopefully, that won't happen for awhile yet.....

IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY! DON'T LET IT GET AWAY!
:adam: :larry: :edge: :bono: :love:

it can not happen for the coming 15 years, I'm only a fan since 2 or 3 years, i still have to experience 2 or 3 tours!!!!

I thought that nobody liked Kite very much but i was a fan since the first time i heard it, so good to know that many agree with me even Bono :wink:

Kite was a very emotional and quite slow song and maybe i was expecting for the new cd more songs like 'I will follow' and 'new year's day'. But whatever they make it will be hard for them to dissapoint me...

ZigZag said:
Since when has U2 been a typical rock band? Of the big rock bands and singers out there who are still around, how many of them do you know who bring out their new music onto the setlist and the fans go nuts?

Rolling Stones?
Sting?
Prince?
Guns N Roses?

Heh...Guns and Roses...the point is, U2 is the only huge rock band that can play "Beautiful Day" or "Walk On" or whatever and everyone be as excited as if they were playing "Streets". I really don't think the aging rock band "curse" applies to them.
Excellent point. :)

Back
Top Bottom