The 'I don't seem to like the new album' thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not quite distracting, but I thought they were out of the blue, but I haven't really sat down enough to figure out exactly what they are and if they fit...
they are definitely unecessary and lame, sound effects always are. the ticking clock when bono talks about waiting for the waiter or whatever is cheese to the nth degree

What I find interesting about this comment is that U2 have made albums like this in the past. And it's because of those albums that bands like Radiohead and, especially Coldplay exist. Coldplay makes nothing but albums like this - and those albums even lack a fun rocker like GOYB. Yet, those albums sell tons and Radiohead and Coldplay fans are very happy.

I wonder if the newer generation of U2 fans forget some of the older U2 music. When JT was first reviewed, no one predicted it to break out - some even questioned if there was a hit song on the album! NLOTH is definitely written in this vein, but with a modern twist. There are definite elements of late 90's and 00's U2.

But Viva La Vida was very much a stand out song on Coldplays last album. Obviously, Coldplay doesn't rock that often, so it's not that type of song. However, it garnered them much attention and 2 Grammy Awards. So that's pretty stand out to me.

What people, I think, are saying is that their isn't that big song that might bring in the awards and garner them lots of attentions. It's more of a cohesive album that fans will enjoy on their own.

Take a listen to the whole thing and just pay attention to the guitar. There are so many rips from other songs. None of the guitar on this album is original IMHO.

If you're going to set the standards that low for "ripping from other songs" there hasn't been an original song in decades.

But Viva La Vida was very much a stand out song on Coldplays last album. Obviously, Coldplay doesn't rock that often, so it's not that type of song. However, it garnered them much attention and 2 Grammy Awards. So that's pretty stand out to me.

What people, I think, are saying is that their isn't that big song that might bring in the awards and garner them lots of attentions. It's more of a cohesive album that fans will enjoy on their own.

Magnificent is like the "Viva La Vida" of this album.

Coldplay made the mistake to pick Violet Hill as their first single. Yet the album went on to sell 6.8 million copies worldwide.

I have a feeling this album will go to 10.

Magnificent is like the "Viva La Vida" of this album.

Coldplay made the mistake to pick Violet Hill as their first single. Yet the album went on to sell 6.8 million copies worldwide.

I have a feeling this album will go to 10.

Lies.

It will go to 11.

I'm glad I don't live there...:drool:

Same...

...it would be like living on a planet where after hearing a new song, one would have to study previous songs to find bits of the new song in them, and then summarily judge the song as poor.

I'm glad we live on a planet where upon hearing a song, I can either like it, not like it, or sort-of like it. I don't have to backtrack and check its validity, and immediately inform the world of my findings.

Same...

...it would be like living on a planet where after hearing a new song, one would have to study previous songs to find bits of the new song in them, and then summarily judge the song as poor.

I'm glad we live on a planet where upon hearing a song, I can either like it, not like it, or sort-of like it. I don't have to backtrack and check its validity, and immediately inform the world of my findings.
the fuck are you talking about?

The Wanderer gets ripped off eh?

Well maybe like me U2 feels The Wanderer is a complete piece of shit song and just wanted to save the only decent part, the part that perhaps spawned the rest of the song even if it ended up being shitty as a whole. I mean if you feel that badly about it I'm sure there are tall buildings where you live. Make a statement, only kidding it's just a small part of a song man.

Same...

The little bits of other songs are painfully present. It's not like you have to go back and study it. It's there....Just like the guitar solo in Breathe. It has the end of the Pride solo in it.

The Wanderer gets ripped off eh?

Well maybe like me U2 feels The Wanderer is a complete piece of shit song and just wanted to save the only decent part, the part that perhaps spawned the rest of the song even if it ended up being shitty as a whole. I mean if you feel that badly about it I'm sure there are tall buildings where you live. Make a statement, only kidding it's just a small part of a song man.

lol, now thats just insane, edge hits a few notes in succession, and you want to hang him because he recorded a simalar quick riff in 1984?

Because not phrasing something as an opinion gives the reader the feeling that the poster thinks their opinion is the only valid one. It may not be the case, but wording something like this:

"I hate this album. I think it's terrible, and it's the worst thing they've ever done."

Lets the reader know that it's an opinion.

"This album is terrible. It's terrible, and it's the worst thing they've ever done."

This adds an aura of self-importance, and the reader feels as if it's attempting to tell anyone that disagrees that their opinion is meaningless in the face of his "more important" and "valid" opinion.

It's simple rhetoric, and I'm sure we all know the difference.

You gotta be f...in kidding me. Music, art, food, movies..... it's all subjective and is an opinion. We have to explain that here so you don't get your feelings hurt?
Get out of the thread if it hurts.

lol, now thats just insane, edge hits a few notes in succession, and you want to hang him because he recorded a simalar quick riff in 1984?

Don't you think Edge, Larry, Bono, Adam, Lanois, Eno, or whoever the hell else was in the room while they were recording Breathe should have said "Uh...Edge.....You already did that. Maybe try something different"?

Wait i know you Scandal, lol ur the same guy that offered the theory that U2 is greedy for not wanting the album to leak early. I mean how much weight do you think your opinion carries after that non-sense.

Back
Top Bottom