The 'I don't seem to like the new album' thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is the last thing I'm going to say about this subject. Every thread gets turned to shit when fans who love everything gang up on those who have criticisms.

I DO NOT HAVE THE POWER TO RILE PEOPLE UP. YOU GET RILED ON YOUR OWN! And "IMHO" I think you like it. You seem to enjoy playing hall monitor.

You give me way too much credit. I can't make you act a certain way. Grow up.

Actually, an entire population of internet users spend their days doing just that.

No, they can't actually force people to get angry. Their job is to simply say the statement that will cause the most disagreement and blow on the embers while the argument starts.

They're called trolls.

but why join a chocolate cookie forum to only diss chocolate cookies?
join a cheesecake forum instead and leave the rest of us alone

Why are you acting like the policeman who decides whether he can join a chocolate chip cookie forum? As long as the FAQs in said forum do not state that he is not allowed to complain, he has every right to do so. I thought fan forums were generally about discussion of positive AND negative opinions. :scratch:

but why join a chocolate cookie forum to only diss chocolate cookies?
join a cheesecake forum instead and leave the rest of us alone

because without love theres no hate

if i didnt love all the other u2 albums i wouldnt really give a shit about this new one's shortcomings

Why do you need someone to tell you it's their opinion? Music always is. Anything someone says regarding the quality of music is opinion. If I said Chocolate chip cookies tasted bad would that mean that people who like chocolate chip cookies should feel bad for liking them?

Because not phrasing something as an opinion gives the reader the feeling that the poster thinks their opinion is the only valid one. It may not be the case, but wording something like this:

"I hate this album. I think it's terrible, and it's the worst thing they've ever done."

Lets the reader know that it's an opinion.

"This album is terrible. It's terrible, and it's the worst thing they've ever done."

This adds an aura of self-importance, and the reader feels as if it's attempting to tell anyone that disagrees that their opinion is meaningless in the face of his "more important" and "valid" opinion.

It's simple rhetoric, and I'm sure we all know the difference.

Actually, an entire population of internet users spend their days doing just that.

No, they can't actually force people to get angry. Their job is to simply say the statement that will cause the most disagreement and blow on the embers while the argument starts.

They're called trolls.

Exercise some self-control.

Listen, no use in replying to these people. They don't like the album, check. They don't like the single, check. They don't like the eyeliner, check. Have a nice live, bye.

I think we should start over with a new thread and let people reintroduce their opinions. Because right now all I see is a thread about people moaning who is entitled to say what, when, where. I hold my hands up guilty ofcourse!:wink:

Listen, no use in replying to these people. They don't like the album, check. They don't like the single, check. They don't like the eyeliner, check. Have a nice live, bye.

For Christ sake...you're in a thread about not liking the album. LOL

Why do you need someone to tell you it's their opinion? Music always is. Anything someone says regarding the quality of music is opinion. If I said Chocolate chip cookies tasted bad would that mean that people who like chocolate chip cookies should feel bad for liking them?

Well I think you miss the point, I'm not sure if you do this on purpose but it seems like you do it a lot.

Of course music is subjective. That's fine.

But when you try and sell your opinion as a fact, like U2 used to have creative control now they let this tool Lanois have too much control, that's not just "I don't like cookies". This poster has no clue how much creative control Lanois had, he has no clue how much Bono wanted or didn't want this direction, but his speculation was sold as fact. And when you allow that, then all real discussion goes out the window.

I guess I will leave my complaints here:

1) Eno wins the battle of "The E's" on this album. There simply isnt enough variety from Edge...and he seems drowned out in various parts of the production.

2) Larrys drums should be in full force all the time. When his drum set is turned up it gives the sound such more dynamics! Theres a lot of good rhythms going on in there, TURN IT UP!!!

3) They had a big one with Magnificent, they had it! But they decided to turn it into a very bad wedding song. It reminds me of that song with the deep black soul singer, what was it called?

On a good note, Bonos voice on Moment of Surrender is top notch.:up:

hey atleast the old songs will sound great with bonos new old voice he somehow found again.

i just heard some al green groove rip off in cedars of lebanon toward the end. fuck.

check the thread title. go look at another thread if it rubs you the wrong way. you go into a chocochip cookie restaurant you dont expect to see steak when you look at the menu

I guess I will leave my complaints here:

1) Eno wins the battle of "The E's" on this album. There simply isnt enough variety from Edge...and he seems drowned out in various parts of the production.

2) Larrys drums should be in full force all the time. When his drum set is turned up it gives the sound such more dynamics! Theres a lot of good rhythms going on in there, TURN IT UP!!!

3) They had a big one with Magnificent, they had it! But they decided to turn it into a very bad wedding song.

On a good note, Bonos voice on Moment of Surrender is top notch.:up:

His voice On MOS actually hurt my ears. LOL It's just too high and he really cant hit those notes anymore it seems.

His voice On MOS actually hurt my ears. LOL It's just too high and he really cant hit those notes anymore it seems.

I know they werent perfect but something about him Screaming like that made me envision Bono from Rattle and Hum. That was a home run for me.

By the way anyone notice clipping noises?

Why are you acting like the policeman who decides whether he can join a chocolate chip cookie forum? As long as the FAQs in said forum do not state that he is not allowed to complain, he has every right to do so. I thought fan forums were generally about discussion of positive AND negative opinions. :scratch:
here, if people are allowed to express their opinion on chocolate cookies then I'm allowed to express my opinion that perhaps they should look for their snacks somewhere else

I think you're missing the point, no one is acting like a policeman. We're just asking an honest question of why? What's the point of joining the forum and sticking around if you've already made up your mind?

I don't like that there is no new sounds. All the guitar we have heard before. Where is the innovation?

On first listen, I have to agree too. U2 is piggyback riding Larry and Adam's sound IMO. Edge isn't absent but his interesting moments do get drowned out by old school Edge sounds that are littered around the album. The album shows that Edge still has great riffs inside of him though. And I loved the Beautiful Day/ Coke riff and all but Edge seems to have made that his Beautiful Day anectdote a reason to recycle some guitar ideas.

Scandal Crow = jick = harmless. Always had a good chuckle reading his posts

a. What is a nice live?

b. Of course they don't like the album. Have you seen what this thread is about? :der:

Well I think you miss the point, I'm not sure if you do this on purpose but it seems like you do it a lot.

Of course music is subjective. That's fine.

But when you try and sell your opinion as a fact, like U2 used to have creative control now they let this tool Lanois have too much control, that's not just "I don't like cookies". This poster has no clue how much creative control Lanois had, he has no clue how much Bono wanted or didn't want this direction, but his speculation was sold as fact. And when you allow that, then all real discussion goes out the window.
I have a clue because i hear him, i know who is who when i listen to this thing. Im familiar enough with U2s work to know whats going on when i listen in. Lanois' mark is clear as day to me. And eno just needs to stop. These two are the reason Edge is buried in the background and its ridiculous because i know they didnt even need them to begin with.

Take a listen to the whole thing and just pay attention to the guitar. There are so many rips from other songs. None of the guitar on this album is original IMHO.

I think there's a lot of new guitar sounds in NLOTH, some very cool subtle things as well.

The intro to Magnificent is like Edge playing Jack White...

I could go on, but I know you're not really going to discuss this.

Thought cop.

Seriously, even if people added "I feel" and "I think" to their posts, the U2 zealots here - and there are many in play in this very thread - would still come out swinging and dogpile on the dissenter. IN A THREAD FOR DISSENTERS.

No but there is a correct way to word your posts to avoid altercations.

I FEEL

I THINK

etc..

not

THIS ALBUM IS SHIT

LANOIS SUCKS

You get the point.. ?

Back
Top Bottom