The 'God' song.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2DMfan

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Some of you may remember a post that was deleted and contained a few nice tidbits of info on 2 new songs. This came from a source that is understood to be credible. He also mentioned a 3rd and 4th song that are now one and the same.

He has yet to return and I'm not sure that he will. He seemed to be very careful of not saying too much and spreading any false rumors etc. But he did mention 2 brand new songs.

One is 'Xanax and Wine', almost seems as if this is a working title, I'd almost bet that it is.

The other was a song with the title of a 'God' of some sort. He wouldn't say what it was. Several people took a guess and he said that noone had correctly guessed. The message was deleted shortly thereafter, unless he himself requested it to be deleted, I don't know why it was. It seemed like a harmless bit of information anyways. But just enough to allow us to salivate over the propects of the new album.

Anyhow, on to the question. One of the guesses on that post was 'Allah'. The poster then responded in his only reply on the thread, that 'Allah' was close and that 'you got the first letter right'. That was the last of it.

I think I passed it off at the time, not being able to rack my brain enough to come up with a guess. The thread was dead by the next day or 2, so I am not sure many gave it much thought.

Here is my question.

What are the chances that the song is called 'Aphrodite'?
The Greek Goddess of love and beauty. This would also keep in line with Bono's often quoted "I think God is a woman", or his many lyrics which refer to deities as female.

That's my guess.

We need some more discussion anyway, what do you think?

As Adam Clayton states in Rattle and Hum "Ah F*#& it, I dunno". But Aphrodite is as good a guess as any. Damn, I wish they'd throw up a web cam so we can see if they are really working on this thing or not!! (Just kidding, but I still want a web cam!).

He said the title was God as he/she is known in another religion or something like the sort, but wouldnt say whether it was he or she,.

Thus, I think Aphrodite would fit that bill.

what about the songs that were left off ATYCLB?
someone talked abt 'bulldozer' and 'origin of the species'(which actually emerged during POP session), but no one mentioned 'home'(the stand out track) and 'stir my soul'(the opening track)

Stir My Soul=Beautiful Day
Home=Walk On

Home was mentioned, I believe by Lanois as being one of 2 songs that merged to become Walk On. "Home, hard to know what it is if you've never had one....Home, I can't say what it is but I know I'm going home, it's where the hurt is"

Stir My Soul, in that article sounds exactly like Beautiful Day, it even describes the opening keyboard notes. Obviously the lyrics and song title ended up changing.

People often take these song titles and run with them, but the truth is that most of them end up part of another song or just renamed all together.

The finest example is in the Salome outakes, which has parts of Ultraviolet and Until the End OTW in the same song (jam).

There's been alot of talk here and there about Bulldozer resurfacing for this album. But I think this is just rumor. :hmm:

I can't seem to remember any mention of it in any of the new album news we've been hearing.
Can anyone remember a recent mention of Bulldozer? I don't think there is one.

Good question.

Bono remarked about it being one of the songs that didn't quite make the cut, but I don't think he specifically mentioned that it didn't turn into a different song.

My opinion is that as "Always", is a seperate song into itself, it is obviously a precursor to what became "Beautiful Day".
And I think while "Bulldozer" is probably seperate song into itself, it might be a precursor to "Elevation". So I am guessing it doesn't make the new album.

You can also see this in "Lady With the Spinning Head" as it ended up becoming "The Fly" and it even contains the intro to "Ultraviolet"

That's my guess based on what I have read and I could be wrong, but what is the reason for leaving it off ATYCLB?

I think they felt they could rework it into something totally seperate from Elevation, and they may have, but I am not betting on it.

The very original 'Lady With A Spinning Head' (Take You Down)also had part of the Ultra Violet Guitar riff.... That particular track transformed quite a bit to become LWASH, so I think you could say it spawned 3 songs. But Damn I love the the Original version. That is "Take You Down".

Would'nt it be cool to hear some precursor tracks to the new album.....man that would be mindnumbing stuff to hear!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom