The Dead cover U2...I'm not kidding!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3crds+truth

Babyface
Any heads in here? Just went to the Dead summer tour page, where they are doing a daily log of the rehearsals, and came across Warren Haynes leading the band through a run-through of "One"! What to say!

go to the link at the bottom of this page to dl:

www.dead.net/thedead/2004/summer-tour/all-access/vol-02/index.html

right on wolf...its like on Seinfeld when George has his "two worlds collide!" It seems strange at first, but really it is a match made in the cosmos. Both bands are steeped in soulfullness, and their followings, are, well, rabid! Has anyone ever brought up the mutual kinship of Grateful Dead/U2 fans? It would seem that the appreciation of soulful music would lend to liking both bands. And as well, there is a longevity to both audiences that transcends age limits. So, any more Heads in hear?

Last edited:
yes, it seems there is a degree of elitism in Grateful dead culture, even between Deadheads and Phishheads (i think thats what you call them). I try to avoid as much as I can any kind of thumbing my nose at any one type of music or band, owing much of that to, believe it or not, the Grateful Dead. One of only a few bands that have dipped their feet in a wide-range of genres. The thing is, I was a U2 fan years before I even heard of the Dead. When I found the Dead, I was already in a U2 lull of a few years. Didnt hate them, just out of the U2 phase, and just started discovering classic rock and music from past decades at that point in time. That was back in 93-94. Before that, I was only into alternative, also known as "college rock" up until the big "A" alternative showed up. U2, Depeche Mode, Pixies, INXS, New Order, etc. Classic rock was "fogey" music to me, being a child of the 80's. Then I loosened up, or got sick of the college music scene, either/or, and discovered Beatles, Stones, CCR, Led Zeppelin, and the Dead, etc. Oddly enough, the college rock I listened to as a kid, now became like "oldies" for me, flashing me back to times I could remember as a kid and early teen, much like boomers harken back to their days when they hear songs from the 60's, 70's. Now I can fully embrace all these eras again, and its pretty fulfilling. But, if it wasnt for the Dead, I would have never discovered the roots of rock music. And if it wasnt for U2, I wouldn't have learned to appreciate more emotional, powerful music.

Last edited:
I'm not shocked by the Dead covering U2 but somewhat surprised at the choice of "One". I can imagine them covering JT and Rattle & Hum era songs more than AB songs, just seems to fit that organic americana vibe better.

I've been obsessed with learning to play an acoustic guitar over the past couple of years and as a result started listening to the Dead again recently. If you put aside the cultural aspect of the Dead and just listen to their music, it really stands the test of time quite well. American Beauty is one for the ages, classic.

hmm...Truckin', Casey Jones, Touch of Grey...

not too many that have been super huge, Touch of Grey made the Top 10 back in '87 though, around the time another certain band made superstardom...hey OnFire, do you have Reckoning? All acoustic from the early 80's...one of my favorite acoustic albums

3c&t,

No, I don't have Reckoning, I'll have to look for that one. I'm not a huge fan of Jerry's endless electric leads but I like his acoustic playing alot. Thanks for the tip.

OnFire said:
3c&t,

No, I don't have Reckoning, I'll have to look for that one. I'm not a huge fan of Jerry's endless electric leads but I like his acoustic playing alot. Thanks for the tip.

yeah, i hear you on the jerry noodling. it took me a few years actually to appreciate Jerry more. He definitely has a jazz-run bent to him, but when I heard the songs where he is more simple and slower, more of a singer, I appreciated him as more than just a guitarist. He is a deep soul first, tripped-out head second, IMHO. Just so happens he did a bit of acid back in the day and let the notes fly unconstricted. Some say since his dad was a trumpeter, you can hear that in Jerry's playing - like a jazz trumpet running up and down the scales.

you know, Bob Weir, the other guitarist, actually has some beautiful acoustic numbers too, though. "Cassidy" is a great song off of Reckoning that is a Weir song. Hey another Dead/U2 similarity: They both worked with Bob Dylan.

yeah warren haynes, the singer and rhythm guitar player on "one" there, helped the allman brothers band come back in the 90's. he basically gave them a shot in the arm of energy and soul and hasnt looked back, playing with who knows how many different people and bands now. looks like in this incarnation of The Dead, he is widening their horizons with some material they never would probably have thought of playing. but, soul is soul, so it can work. that being said, i think that warren does a bit of the hoarse, southern rock voice a bit much. but he is a strong, soulful presence for sure.

hey mrs. clayton, did you catch them last year, with joan osborne? caused a bit of commotion in the sometimes overly-picky Dead world, but in the end, the band they had assembled was a sight and sound to behold. saw them 2 times, the last on new years. the most shimmering, transcendant thing i've seen, well, since U2 in anaheim.

Back
Top Bottom