The BOY Appreciation Thread - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2003, 02:28 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:41 AM
The BOY Appreciation Thread

I didn't get this album until I had been a U2 fan for a long time. At first I didn't like it all that much except for "I Will Follow" and hardly ever listened to it. But now I love it! It's pure rock and roll. I love the energy. I love Edge's guitar and Adam's bass lines and Larry's drumming. As for Bono's voice - well, it's pretty raw-sounding at this point in his career, but it matches the songs perfectly.

All those pseudo-garage bands out there now only WISH they were this good.

Any thoughts?

Old 08-10-2003, 04:47 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 11:41 AM
i love this album also. which songs are your favorit off here besides i will follow, out of control and a day without me are amazing. i love edges guitar on this album.

Old 08-10-2003, 05:00 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 06:41 AM
Boy is without a doubt one of the best debut albums recorded to date (well atleast in my opinion! )! Obviously, Out of Control and I Will Follow are among my favourites, but there's also something catchy about "Shadows and Tall trees" and " A Day Without Me".
Old 08-10-2003, 05:16 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I at first (stupidly) dismissed Boy as just something I needed to keep in my CD case as a completist, a sort of a reminder how my favourite band started out but nothing more. I think that it was seeing the energised I Will Follow on the Elevation concert video that made me want to go back to Boy, and boy was I wrong about this album! It's a great blast of youthful energy and enthusiasm, and even if Bono hasn't found his singing/writing voice yet it all somehow fits together to create one hell of an exciting debut. It's now one of my five favourite U2 albums.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:14 PM   #5
War Child

Local Time: 07:41 AM
I bought it last summer, and listened to it a lot while I was on vacation in Europe, but then I didn't really listen to it again until a few days ago. That album is so great! it's a better debut album than albums by some bands that have been around for years. I, too am a huge fan of I Will Follow and Out of Control, but I also love The Electric Co.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:21 PM   #6
War Child

Local Time: 04:41 AM
i love it! especially "i will follow" , "out of control", and "twilight". it's a great album, one of my favs.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:01 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:41 AM
I love the energy of the album, you can almost feel their eagerness and innocence coming through the sound.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:54 AM   #8
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:41 PM
Boy is probably my favourite studio album of U2 (although UABRS is my overall favourite). I got it in March, and I remember listening to it over and over again. I particularly love I Will Follow, Out Of Control, Stories For Boys, and A Day Without Me. The Electric Co. is good, but the version on UABRS is so amazingly better. Oh yes, and how can I forget Twilight? That's a great song.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-11-2003, 03:40 AM   #9
New Yorker

Boy is a great album, I love the rawness and I will Follow, Twighlight, Out Of Control and Stories for boys are great! Brilliant start for U2
Old 08-12-2003, 05:21 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

I love "Boy". It's got so much raw passion and energy, just what I love about U2 the most, and what no veteran band *ever* had.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:29 PM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 06:41 AM
I was never really into Boy until this summer. I liked I Will Follow, but that was pretty much it. Then one day, I figured I hadn't listened to it in forever so I put it on... and I fell in love I love Out of Control, An Cat Dubh, Stories For Boys, Twilight, Electric Co, and of course, I Will Follow. Like everyone else has already said, you really can hear their passion, energy, and innocense flowing throughout the album. And like Bono's Shades said, it's pure rock and roll. I it
Old 08-13-2003, 11:02 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

i love the energy in BOY.

Twilight is excellent ..so is An Cat Dubh..

I like Out of control & Stories for Boys as well..

I think " i will follow" is a bit over-played.. its excellent song as well.

i cant help appreciating how four 18-20 year old guys could come up with such excellent album
Old 08-14-2003, 03:45 AM   #13
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan

i cant help appreciating how four 18-20 year old guys could come up with such excellent album
That's what I find totally amazing!
Old 08-14-2003, 06:01 AM   #14
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:41 PM
Yes, same here! When I listen to it, I cannot believe they made such a masterpiece considering their age. At the time, they weren't much older than me, and I honestly cannot imagine anyone I know making anything near that quality. They really were and still are geniuses.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog