THE BEST U2 Show Ever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dublin city, Ireland, baby!

The Point Depot

Hey, is this the same Point Depot that was in the R&H Video for Van Deimen's Land/Desire!?

You mean 12/31/89 right

Actually....they counted to the new year right before the band started with Streets so.....

man, what an intro!

Last edited:
then it should be 1/1/1990...

I NEED Desire and All Along The Watchtower from this great concert... does anyone have them? :wink:

don't know if it's the best ever, but it's surely one of the best. highlights are the new year countdown into streets and bad (the best live version for me).

I think 12-31-89 (which is what was printed on the tickets) was a good show but not their best. I talked to several people back then that attended all 4 Dublin Lovetown shows and every one of them said that the 12-30-89 Dublin show was the best of the four. In fact, most of them thought the 12-27-89 Dublin show was the 2nd best and the 12-31-89 was 3rd. Its such a subjective question though. I dont think there is any one best show, there are alot that were great though. I think the beginning of 12-31-89 was awesome but it loses its energy after the first 4 to 5 songs for me. My favorite show from the Lovetown tour is 11-18-89 Sydney. Awesome setlist and just a blistering performance through the entire show. Each their own.

Slane Castle, Show 2, anyone? They seemed on it throughout the whole DVD....

yeah, i have both the 30th and the 31st boots and i like the 30th a lot more...

but hey, my vote goes to 8/23/93 anyways...zoo europa..

Have any of the Dublin Lovetown shows ever shown up on video?
I know WTSHNN and IWL are available from 12/31/89, but what about a whole show?

Stories for Boys said:
yeah, i have both the 30th and the 31st boots and i like the 30th a lot more...

but hey, my vote goes to 8/23/93 anyways...zoo europa..

Absolutely. That was THE BEST!!!

The performances of Mysterious Ways, One, Stay, Bullet the Blue Sky, Pride, Desire (especially desire!), Light my Way, and Love is Blindness are all tops!

However, I think you mean 28/08/93. Anyway, never mind that, that's just a lil small detail :D.

God Bless.
WHYWHY.

I love the Zoo Europa show, however my favorites are some of the Zoo Tv Outside Broadcast concerts in the US.
Great boots are:
DC 16/08/92
Foxboro 23/08/92
New York 29/08/92
Detroit 09/09/92
Houston 14/09/09

The performance of UTTEOTW that made it onto 'The Best Of DvD' was from both Houston and Yankee Stadium.

That's my alltime favorite rock video clip!
They kicked so much ass in that era!!

Many JTT shows on the return leg of the US were awesome.
With occasional performances of One Tree Hill, Out of Control and Helter Skelter...wow these shows were great!

On and emotional level probably the British and Irish segments of the JTT tour and also Popmart in Belfast and Zootv Wembley which included the last Sarejevo linkup. Of course Popmart Sarejevo and also all the South American gigs were legendary too. However Popmart Sydney may almost surpass all of the above shows. On the night of a fierce storm and on the weekend of the Mardi-Gras and Bono singing his heart and soul out for his mate Michael Hutchence who had recently died, what more do you need for a standout show.

Check reviews on this show out on www.u2tours.com here's a snippet from 1 of the 21 reviews.

The most emotional moment of the super charged night was the Michael Hutchence tribute. Michael's face flung across the screen as Bono ordered the house lights out. For a moment we had darkness as Bono sang so emotionally to his friend, then with a bolt from the heavens the stadium lit up. One of the eeriest moments I think I've ever experienced. Either Michael was letting Bono he was still around, or it was God letting Bono know who's who. :)

Popmart Santiago. Awesome show. Just listen to the ending oy Mysterious Ways. Something very special going on there.

Closely followed by Rotterdam 10th January 1990. This contains the *definative* version of Bad.

Queen Bee said:

Right. Which would make it 1/1/90 not 12/31/90.

Well, I think it was pretty self explanatory when he mentioned New Year, etc. don't you?

Anyway, best gig....

June 5th 1983-
Red Rocks
Denver

End of story. :tongue:

JT 31/12/89
Zoo TV Dublin 23/8/93, Sydney and the show from which the outside broadcast boot was recorded...
Popmart Santiago, Tel Aviv, Mexico, Sarajevo
Elevation Chicago, Toronto, Antwerp 5/8/01 (I was there), Slane I and II, Boston, NYC after 9/11, ...

Does anyone know which show was featured on Outside Broadcast? Those recordings are fantastic!

Outside Broadcast was either New York, Detroit or Houston.
I did'nt know there was a Sounboard boot or video of the whole show...I have like 8 or 9 songs( from Diff concerts)....If you did, where did you get the whole show from?

I haven't got the whole show, only the new AB songs + streets & bullet I think...
Anyway, the recording was fantastic... :)

stagman said:
Outside Broadcast was either New York, Detroit or Houston.
I did'nt know there was a Sounboard boot or video of the whole show...I have like 8 or 9 songs( from Diff concerts)....If you did, where did you get the whole show from?

The Outside Broadcast boot (if its the one by Nikko records that includes interviews also) is a radio program that aired in late 92 in the U.S. Most of the tracks are supposedly from the Houston 11-14-92 show and a few are from one of the New York Yankee Stadium shows. Detroit is not included with this boot. However, there is a similiar boot that contains the first 7 songs (minus One) from the Detroit show and One from Yankee Stadium is inserted and the remaining tracks are 11-14-92 Houston. There is no full length soundboard (or even audience recording) of the Detroit 9-9-92 show in circulation.

Belfast 23-01-1981
Hattem |4-05-1982
St Goarhausen 20-08-1983
Dortmun 21-11-1984
Tempe 19-12-1987
Rotterdam 10-01-1990
Stockholm 11-06-1992
Dublin 28-08-1993
Santiago 11-02-1998
Kansas City 27-11-2001

:wave: :wave: :wave:

ponkine said:
Belfast 23-01-1981
Hattem |4-05-1982
St Goarhausen 20-08-1983
Dortmun 21-11-1984
Tempe 19-12-1987
Rotterdam 10-01-1990
Stockholm 11-06-1992
Dublin 28-08-1993
Santiago 11-02-1998
Kansas City 27-11-2001

:wave: :wave: :wave:

I have to completely disagree with most of your best performances. You are simply listing off all the good recordings that exist. There is a big difference between the quality the bootleg recording and how good of a show it was. I say this because you have the Tempe 12-19-87 Show listed, regarded by the band and their crew as one of the worst performances of the JT tour. Great recording, but the show is just flat and so are the band. Same can be said for St. Goarhausen. Great recording, show itself is mediocre, check out the video/DVD of its sometime, U2 are just flat out tired and it shows.

I agree though that Rotterdam 1-10-90 is a great show as well as Santiago 98. Dublin 93 is overhyped IMO but its not a bad show, recording is obviously great, but the actual performance is just nothing spectacular. Everything else you listed is just the standard performances that happen to have great recordings available.

Back
Top Bottom