The Band's fav off AB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
seem to rememeber comments Bono (maybe the rest of the band) made about favorite off Achtung Baby. I know he'd say Until the End of the World now adays, but back then didnt he mentain Acrobat? or am i imagining this? and i think Edge once said "love is Blindness"???

He now says his favourite song is Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses I think.. But yeah I remember him saying UV at one stage..

Lillywhite said U2 hated Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses.

Taken from Q mag 2002: 'it was the most typically U2-ish tracks that were proving the most difficult. Producer Steve Lillywhite remembers the mixing of "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" (notably absent from the forthcoming Best of) as being especially testing.

"They hated that song," he says. "I spent a month on it and I still don't think it was as realised as it could've been. The Americans had heard it and said, That's your radio song there, because they were having trouble with some of the more industrial elements. It's almost like a covers band doing a U2 moment. Maybe we tried too hard."'

Azor said:

:lol:

In the rolling stone interview says that "Stay" is the greatest U2 song.

You didn't know that Stay was a song from Achtung Baby, did you??? :wink:

GibsonGirl said:

Really? That's my favourite song too. :cute: :happy:

20040308.jpg

:sexywink:

Queen Bee said:

:sick: When did he say that?

At the 10/8 MSG show he said "this is one of our favorite U2 songs" before playing WGRYWH. I guess you can take that for what it's worth. I don't know if he was being sarcastic, as other people are citing other places where they've said they weren't pleased with it...Dunno. It's not necessarily a favorite of mine, but I am glad I got a chance to hear it at that show.

mabel said:

At the 10/8 MSG show he said "this is one of our favorite U2 songs" before playing WGRYWH. I guess you can take that for what it's worth. I don't know if he was being sarcastic, as other people are citing other places where they've said they weren't pleased with it...Dunno. It's not necessarily a favorite of mine, but I am glad I got a chance to hear it at that show.

I think that's classic Bono sarcasm :drool: I've read somewhere that while Bono loved the song, the others despised it, and in the end none of them liked the finished version that Steve Lillywhite hacked at numerous times before it made the album.

It's a funny song for me, because I don't play it often, but when it's on the radio (and that's rarely), I crank it up and think it's great...maybe because it's U2, and everything U2 is so much better than other crap.

PopFly said:
If U2 really disliked WGRYWH, they wouldn't be playing every once in a while on tour.

What I've heard is that the band like WGRYWH, but they were disappointed with the album version because they felt it could be so much more but never took flight in the studio.

Also, regarding the original topic of the band's favourite on AB, someone in an Acrobat thread mentioned Acrobat is Bono's favourite. No idea how true that is or what sources are out there, but I thought I'd mention that.

I know I read somewhere that when they were going through their catalogue to select songs for the 90's Best Of that Wild Horses did not stand the test of time like other songs had.

I've always had the impression that it was one of their least favorite songs.

Queen Bee said:

:sick: When did he say that?

Recently actually!
Bono recently did say it was probably his favourite song, in a recent interview and not just from AB but over all.
His mind changes like the wind admitedly and this is probably why they have been playing it on this tour a bit.
The song to me has really great guitaring, especially live. It's definately one of my favourite moments from Dublin in June. The album version is very similar to the live version. I can say I got chills from it when I heard them sound checking it in Dublin.
I think personally the song probably means a hell of alot to Edge with his break-up at that time.
And the hate that Lillywhite refers to probably means they got sick of trying to mix it (ie:'it was the most typically U2-ish tracks that were proving the most difficult. "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" (notably absent from the forthcoming Best of) as being especially testing)

Dusty Bottoms said:
I know I read somewhere that when they were going through their catalogue to select songs for the 90's Best Of that Wild Horses did not stand the test of time like other songs had.

I've always had the impression that it was one of their least favorite songs.

I'm suprised at this, WGRYWH is a maginificent song, and much better than the other songs that didn't make the best of, such as crap like Last Night On Earth, and Lemon.

What about If God Will Send His Angels? That's a good song, like Wild Horses, do they hate that too?

LuvandPeace1980 said:

Recently actually!
Bono recently did say it was probably his favourite song, in a recent interview and not just from AB but over all.
His mind changes like the wind admitedly and this is probably why they have been playing it on this tour a bit.
The song to me has really great guitaring, especially live. It's definately one of my favourite moments from Dublin in June. The album version is very similar to the live version. I can say I got chills from it when I heard them sound checking it in Dublin.
I think personally the song probably means a hell of alot to Edge with his break-up at that time.
And the hate that Lillywhite refers to probably means they got sick of trying to mix it (ie:'it was the most typically U2-ish tracks that were proving the most difficult. "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" (notably absent from the forthcoming Best of) as being especially testing)

Could I get a link, or an mp3, or some kind of file for this interview, I'm interested to hear it, or read it

colville.jpg

This is kind of drifting off a bit, but after seeing a copy of this painting at my uncle's house, I've always thought of WGRYWH.

As disturbing as it is, it's interesting if you view it symbolically--in terms of the choices, destiny, etc., that run throughout the lyrics.

GibsonGirl said:

:barf:

That picture is kind of funny, though. :drool:

I tried to illustrate the 'Trying to throw' lyrics with that disturbing pic...:wink:..the fish/bicycle reference.

Speaking of that song, this is an interesting quote from Bill Flanagan's book, At the End of the World. Describing Bono, he says: "I'm certain that his most perfect self-portrait is the holy fool in Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World, the guy who cannot give up on the night and go home until the night has more than given up on him."

:bono:

angelordevil said:

I tried to illustrate the 'Trying to throw' lyrics with that disturbing pic...:wink:..the fish/bicycle reference.

I know. Hence the barfing. :wink: I can't stand those lyrics.

I read in an interview Larry hates WGTRYWH. If you look at the end of the video for that song, you notice Larry making a throat-slash gesture, meaning "cut" as in "stop." Even Bono at the end of the video, mouths the word "fuck" and then walks away in disgust.

Windmilllane said:
I read in an interview Larry hates WGTRYWH. If you look at the end of the video for that song, you notice Larry making a throat-slash gesture, meaning "cut" as in "stop." Even Bono at the end of the video, mouths the word "fuck" and then walks away in disgust.

They hated doing the video, doesn't mean they hate the song.

I really am glad the band likes TTTYAATW! That song is way underated

GibsonGirl said:

:evil: Whaaat? That song, and the next on the album, Ultraviolet, were the songs where I tried the most to sing like Bono, in the kitchen after school.

Thank God no other person or recording devices were present :happy:

Windmilllane said:

I never noticed the Larry gesture before :up: I think it's fair to say that Bono likes the song better than the others. From what I gather, it came from the original recording sessions for Achtung, the ones Larry thought weren't good enough (sound familiar? :happy:), and it was also the point where the band were drifting apart from each other.

*he said, standing next to the U section in the library* :nerd:

Jarvio said:

Could I get a link, or an mp3, or some kind of file for this interview, I'm interested to hear it, or read it

It was a magazine or web site somewhere.. I think it was a web site and it was Bono saying something like 'it's one of my favourite songs'

Jarvio said:

I'm suprised at this, WGRYWH is a maginificent song, and much better than the other songs that didn't make the best of, such as crap like Last Night On Earth, and Lemon.

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Did you say... crap like lemon???

GibsonGirl said:

You do realize that the line is not Bono's right? :wink:

I forget who exactly but it was a well-known feminist who said that... a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle!

Zootlesque said:

You do realize that the line is not Bono's right? :wink:

I forget who exactly but it was a well-known feminist who said that... a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle!
You're thinking of Gloria Steinem. She made the phrase famous, but it was apparently coined by an Australian author named Irina Dunn.

Back
Top Bottom