The Album: What We Expect

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tintin

The Fly
Since these are so fun, I’m gonna do another one. This one will deal with the weighty issues of expectations, overall feel and fuzzy dinosaur feathers.

1. What should our expectations be like?

This matter has the pessimists and optimists raging, throwing sharp, pointy words at each other and using angry emoticons. A rather startling show of emotion.

As complete addicts we read every piece of news about the album and are building up a very precarious idea of what the album is going to be like. This is idea, if it crumbles when the album is released, may lead us to think that HTDAAB is crap even if it a great album that didn’t meet our preconceived notions of what it ought to sound like. ATYCLB is a good album, but it didn’t meet everyone’s expectations of it.

So the view I have adopted is this: it’s going to be a good album with some really great songs. It’ll have some gorgeous pop moments, some louder moments, but it’ll also have some moments that I won’t like. I’m gonna be okay if it has a few songs that I don’t really love. I’m not expecting a surprise left, adventurous innovation or an album that will be my all time favourite. If Edge dons the Memory Man for more than half the songs, I’ll be okay with that. It probably won't sound like AB, but I’ll alright.

A good album, then. A U2 album. One to listen to for a long time, over and over again. But not necessarily one that will be my favourite.

(This isn’t to say that HTDAAB can’t be great or your favourite. Also, do you pronounce HTDAAB “hotdub”, “hatdab”,”hitdayb” or the very conventional “How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb?”)

2. Overall Feel

This question is so impossible to answer that I feel like I am doing something stupid. Which I am, so please join me so that we grovel around in the tepid mud of stupidity. A glorious way to spend an afternoon.

The problem is that the overall feel can only be felt after prolonged listening. Something that only U2 and select aides have done. But what the heck.

The themes we know about: Life, death, love and the need for comfort. And Jesus gets his due, apparently. I think this is the key to understanding the emotional currents in the album. Possibly the most illuminating quote is Larry’s. He said the album came out of “a mixture of deep depression and a lot of fun.” The deep depression will probably show itself in honest songs seeking comfort, and the fun will be shown in songs like Vertigo. But I think that the album will have a certain depth about it. U2 want to make pop music, but the shades will be a little darker and the space a little deeper than ATYCLB. But it won’t be as heavy as AB, nor as bleak as Pop. (Opinion stated as fact, translate if necessary.)

3. Dinosaur Feathers.

Honestly, the build up is crazy around here. We might just be going crazy. Fever pitch and cabin fever. We’re seeing a blue haze that tints all that we see. There is a sense of desperation: what if this album disappoints? It is a question we cannot face. So when it arises we go crazy. I’m sure that some people’s keyboards are speckled in the foam that has dribbled down from their mouth. So for the those seeking for a therapeutic release of these pent up emotions, please feel free to type absolute gibberish, your deepest fears or Monty Python quotes. (Or Little Britain, etc.)

I’ll begin: I’m afraid that one day they’ll ban reading in the bathroom. Bla. “But I’m a lady. With little lady hands.” “I’m ze only gay man in ze village.”

Ahh, that feels much better.

To recap. Let’s be cautious devils when it comes to expectations so that we can let HTDAAB be the album that it is. What do you think the overall feel will be? And insanity as a cure for insanity.

I'm a little overzealous. My computer enjoys playing mind games with me. Be very much obliged if some mod would join them at the hips.

Good night, I need to go water my chickens. Many apologies for the gazillion posts.

Is it the blue haze that I'm seeing or is this thread multiplying?

Please I would need the abridged version of your post.

What happened was that my computer sent the post, but it didn't go to the 'We will direct you to your post in a second' site. So I kept submitting. They're finally getting posted, while I languish in my profound stupidity. Humility is arriving in many doses. Oh, I think they're more post to come, from when I was originally posting.

Be gracious, please, with this challenged youth.

Inner El Guapo said:
Yes, I like beer too.

(Travis Kramer opens his bar for all.)

Today it's Guiness, Boulavard pale ale,
and some fat tire.

Travis poors beer for himself and for Tin Tin.

Whad'ya guys want? Who wants one?

travis then gets back on topic...

#1: I think realistic expections are out the window for most. Mine are intact as I've meet Bono and not only is he not god, he isn't very tall.

#2: Feel:
I hope it's varied. I hope they had fun and said hell with the critics.
That's all that matters.

#3: cabin fever:
I think you're all nutz and this place is taking me down with it.

Last edited:
Great post, Tintin. I agree that a pre-set expectation of what the sound of the album is can have a disasterous effect on how you judge the record. This has happened to me on many U2 albums, actually, so I'm guilty as well. It most recently happened to me with Pop back in 1997. It did not meet my expectation in any way, shape or form, and I hated it as a result. Then I grew to really like it, almost love it. There were fans who hated Achtung Baby for the same reasons. The point is this: with every album, U2 gains new fans. Those fans will always remember the sound that got them into U2. And those fans will usually be disappointed with the next album because U2 albums never sound the same. And the cycle continues with the next release.

Now that I'm a bit wiser, I will just sit back and listen to the album for what it is - not for what it isn't - and then make my final judgements.

It'll be a good album. People will probably like it as a whole a bit better than ATYCLB.

However, we won't 11 Streets or anything. Most of what you hear about songs being compared to huge songs from their past is hype at its best. We'll be lucky if there's a single song on here HALF of what Streets or Pride is.

ZigZag said:
Most of what you hear about songs being compared to huge songs from their past is hype at its best. We'll be lucky if there's a single song on here HALF of what Streets or Pride is.
I don't know about that. I think 'COBL' has huge potential to be as good as a song like 'Pride'. I believe there's a lot more going on in the song than what we can really make out in that TOTP mp3, and I also believe there's more to the song's structure than the live performance we heard, given it's much longer on the album, and given the latest fan review.

Only two U2 albums really stirred me up in bliss on first listens. The Unforgettable Fire and the Joshua Tree. Every other album has to sink in over a period of time (weeks to a month really). I don't know what to expect really. All I know is that this feels like like a blind date with a really hot chick that you have seen a picture of before hand. You know she is so hot, but you are wondering if she has a funny voice, bigger feet than you, cow breath, etc... .

Ok I merged your threads, deleted one, fixed your first post and edited some others.

We should be all good now ;)

Roland of Gilead said:
Only two U2 albums really stirred me up in bliss on first listens. The Unforgettable Fire and the Joshua Tree. Every other album has to sink in over a period of time (weeks to a month really). I don't know what to expect really. All I know is that this feels like like a blind date with a really hot chick that you have seen a picture of before hand. You know she is so hot, but you are wondering if she has a funny voice, bigger feet than you, cow breath, etc... .
Cow breath?!? :laugh: I don't know what cow breath really smells like. :shifty:

Back
Top Bottom