The album seems to be still progressing...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So .... people who say they love Kid A are just pretending to love Kid A because it makes them look cool?

Von Schloopen said:
Who cares? Kid A sucks.

The only book that matters is the one you write for yourself.

You guys love to play on this image of not caring what other people think when all you really care about is what other people think.

Kid A sucks? OMG...

So .... people who say they love Kid A are just pretending to love Kid A because it makes them look cool?

I like to play Billy Joel for Radiohead fans.

It makes them leave my house.

That makes me happy.

Then, when "Piano Man" has finished on the record player, I spin Radiohead records in peace.

Von Schloopen said:
I like to play Billy Joel for Radiohead fans.

It makes them leave my house.

That makes me happy.

Then, when "Piano Man" has finished on the record player, I spin Radiohead records in peace.

You have to play the whole Billy Joel record before they leave the house or they leave by the first song?

You have to play the whole Billy Joel record before they leave the house or they leave by the first song?

Thankfully, they leave the moment they see me pull "Piano Man" from it's jacket.

Then I play "Captain Jack" 2 times, laugh at the "pick your nose" lyric, and move on to "OK Computer."

Then, I start thinking about how awesome "New York State Of Mind" is, so I turn off "OK Computer" search for my iPod, find it, and enjoy listening to how awesome "New York State Of Mind" is.

Von Schloopen said:
Thankfully, they leave the moment they see me pull "Piano Man" from it's jacket.

Then I play "Captain Jack" 2 times, laugh at the "pick your nose" lyric, and move on to "OK Computer."

Have you tried this experiment with any other records?

Have you tried this experiment with any other records?

Sometimes I use "Toulouse Street" by The Doobie Brothers:

album-toulouse-street.jpg

Quite frankly, anyone who doesn't dig "Mamaloi" can GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY HOUSE!

I love the outrage when someone says they dislike Kid A. :cute:

Don't include me in that outraged group. I was stuck on the implication that people say they love Kid A only to impress other people because they care what other people think. Or something.

Also:

Billy Joel = :heart:

Rattle and Hum was not a flop. It spawned some of the most popular U2 songs of all time and sold gobs of records. It even had a real movie in the movie theatre. Don't let how long ago that was cloud your memory as to how big that was.

There would be no U2 without Boy. I think that's a little more important than what happened 20 years after.

And there would be no U2 sound without War and The Unforgettable Fire. There'd be nothing for U2 to ape as they demonstrated they were "back" in 2000.

One more time, slowly...the flop of Rattle and Hum has nothing to do with sales. They had a flop re: critical opinion. And the movie didn't exactly help the public image of annoying Irish egomaniacal wannabe blues band. This has also nothing to do with the "self-mithology" hype sold by the haters. It is very clear what went wrong with Rattle and Hum, and Pop, and NLOTH.

There would be no U2 without Boy. Yes. There would also not be a U2 today without ATYCLB, whose sound and moreso pop songwriting attitude still echoes in parts of Bomb and NLOTH. Much like AB still resonates in Zooropa and Pop.

With the exception of Walk on and maybe Kite, ATYCLB sounds absolutely nothing at all like 80's U2. But that's another example of the hype machine hard at work this past decade from the 00's hate brigade.

U2girl said:
No. Not even close. They'd be a zombie band without ATYCLB.

Do you sometimes post anything non-related to defending ATYCLB/HTDAAB's honour?

They had a flop re: critical opinion.
Not really. The album itself got mainly good reviews, and of course it sold by the bucket-load.

The minor critical backlash that U2 experienced circa 1989 (after the album, really) was an inevitable over-exposure backlash more than it was anything to do with Rattle & Hum. If you become the biggest rock band and you're fairly outspoken (hell, even if you're not) a P.R./critical backlash is awaiting you 100% of the time, regardless of an album's merits. They had reached the end of one route by 1989, but none of this means the album itself was a "flop".

One more time, slowly...the flop of Rattle and Hum has nothing to do with sales. They had a flop re: critical opinion. And the movie didn't exactly help the public image of annoying Irish egomaniacal wannabe blues band. This has also nothing to do with the "self-mithology" hype sold by the haters. It is very clear what went wrong with Rattle and Hum, and Pop, and NLOTH.

There would be no U2 without Boy. Yes. There would also not be a U2 today without ATYCLB, whose sound and moreso pop songwriting attitude still echoes in parts of Bomb and NLOTH. Much like AB still resonates in Zooropa and Pop.

With the exception of Walk on and maybe Kite, ATYCLB sounds absolutely nothing at all like 80's U2. But that's another example of the hype machine hard at work this past decade from the 00's hate brigade.

Historically, I don't often find myself agreeing with you. This is another one of those days. I think you're usually wrong, and this includes just about everything in the above post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom