The album seems to be still progressing...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ATYCLB gets too much shit here. I know, I know... we're all sick of Beautiful Day and Elevation, and our enthusiasm for Walk On has been deluded by how empty the live versions sound compared to the passion of the studio version. Also, if we see In a Little While on a setlist again, this forum might just cause a worldwide implosion into a black hole.

But this album is one of the most important in U2's career. I think back to the fall of 2000. I was fresh out of high school, and was pretty overwhelmed by the adult world and it's infinite possibilities. This album became my compass. Not to mention, it was nice for my favorite band to be back on top. That 1-5 run was pretty much unbeatable. When I look at the world was the album's hidden treasure, the song that took me the longest to "GET", but once I did it hit me like a MACK truck.

After 9/11, the album really took on a whole new meaning. It's almost as if U2 wrote that album know that it was going to take place. ATYCLB gets unfairly lumped in with HTDAAB, when it should stand on it's own as a great piece of work that was more than just another album by the world's biggest band.

Right you are. I personally love ATYCLB, and it generally falls as #4 or #5 in my all time U2 favourites. And yeah, after AB, ATYCLB is their most important album. It's easy to look back at the time and think that U2 becoming the biggest band in the world again was inevitable...but that wasn't close to being the case. No one really knew what was going to happen to U2 after Pop, and in terms of popularity and "relevance", had ATYCLB been a different kind of record and gotten the same reception as Pop, U2's career may have gone in a very different direction, and could easily have been relegated to niche band status. I believe they were terrified of this. You just cant overstate what the huge success of that record meant for them, and it pretty much defined, for better or worse, their musical style and approach for the next ten years.

Yeah, that's pretty damn important.

A lot of people here with extremely good taste in music find ATYCLB dull, lifeless, adult contemporary, boring, etc. That's their opinion. I love the album to death. When I did Pitchfork's poll of the best albums from 96 to now it was in my top five. Or ten. I used to start threads defending it. But I've slowly learnt debating it in this part of the forum is pointless.

You quoted me, but I don't feel like you were replying to my post. I didn't say they were on or off schedule.

But in any case, they supposedly almost released an album a couple of times in the last 3 and a half years. If they had felt the material was there, we would have had it.

Anything is possible, but I seriously doubt they would have. They toyed with the idea of releasing the rest of NLOTH because they would still be on tour. Once 360 was over, even if there was material ready, it was and/or is getting shelved until they are ready to tour again. Their road crew was given 2014 as the time frame to have their schedules open after 360. How many times has U2 released a full studio album of new material without a tour after it or still being on tour? (Passengers does not count to me as it is not technically U2). Never.

Nick66 said:
You make some good points, but look, I think the U2 you're describing does not...and for the most part has not, ever existed. Let's just assume for the moment that your take on the artistic merits of YBR/Please/Ground Beneath Her Feet vs. BD/Stuck/Elevation are correct...i.e. that the the former are superior to the latter, musically. So what? U2, and in particular Bono, for almost all their career have said that mass appeal, and getting played on the radio, making "pop friendly" hits and being relevant is one of, if not the most important, aspects to their approach towards making music. By the bands own measure, they'd take those songs from ATYCLB...the pop hits...than the stuff from Pop and Passengers that you describe seven days a week and twice on Sunday.

I think I can say with confidence that Bono would tell you that Please/YBR and Ground were not successful because they never broke through into the general consciousness, no matter what their musical merits. Remember what Bono said about Zooropa, which is pretty similar to what he later said about Pop...

Yes, yes. I know Bono is a revisionist liar. But this attitude towards of the intrinsic value of their music with its commercial success is not recent, as some like to say. Bono has been saying some variation of this since JT. And make no mistake, the radical change in direction for AB was at least as much for commercial considerations as it was for the (genuine) artistic ones. Just as ATYCLB was a direct response to the reaction to Pop, so AB was a direct response, at least partially, to R&H's reception. If Radiohead had made Pop, they would have likely said "f**c it" to the response that record got, and doubled down. That's not in U2's DNA.

The fact is, this band would rather have one HTDAAB than a dozen Zooropas or Pops. We can shake our heads at that and lament the wrongness of this thinking, but by doing so were at odds with what U2 pretty much has always been.

Of course, their reign at the top is pretty much over, so the question is do they change their value system and artistic approach when it comes to music, or continue to try (futilely, IMO) to be the biggest band in the world?

If there's a tension going on in the band right now, I believe it's that. I'd be curious to know, among Bono, The Edge, Larry, Adam and Paul McG., who is on what side.

You are probably right. And, like we discussed before, i think they will choose the "let's try to be the best band bla bla bla" path again. And i think this path will surely give us more HTDAABs. I could be right or i could be wrong. I'm not ok with it (more HTDAABs) but they don't owe me a thing. I have the excellent albums they made to enjoy whenever i want. I guess i'm not too passionate about their future anymore.

Nick66 said:
U2's career may have gone in a very different direction, and could easily have been relegated to niche band status.

I think being a niche band was what i was expecting from U2 to be in the 00's. Pretty unrealistic, as you pointed before. But that is the Depeche Mode-Rush path. The one path i think could work, only that U2 would really be terrified of this, i agree.

cobl04 said:
A lot of people here with extremely good taste in music find ATYCLB dull, lifeless, adult contemporary, boring, etc. That's their opinion. I love the album to death. When I did Pitchfork's poll of the best albums from 96 to now it was in my top five. Or ten. I used to start threads defending it. But I've slowly learnt debating it in this part of the forum is pointless.

Funny, from the posts i read from you here and in bang and the clatter i could never imagine ATYCLB was your thing. Considering the bands i see you praising, i thought of you much more as a Zooropa-Pop kind of guy. Then i saw your profile and was about to say your love for ATYCLB could be explained using the argument that this was your first U2 album and we tend to be emotionally attached to this kind of thing. But then i remembered Rattle and Hum was the first U2 album i heard at the time and i hated it back then (now i really like it).

Funny, from the posts i read from you here and in bang and the clatter i could never imagine ATYCLB was your thing. Considering the bands i see you praising, i thought of you much more as a Zooropa-Pop kind of guy. Then i saw your profile and was about to say your love for ATYCLB could be explained using the argument that this was your first U2 album and we tend to be emotionally attached to this kind of thing. But then i remembered Rattle and Hum was the first U2 album i heard at the time and i hated it back then (now i really like it).

Well, who's to say they can't be into all three? (Zooropa, Pop, ATYCLB) I definitely think some of our choices on albums we like are based on the first ones we bought though. ATYCLB was technically my second album after AB, but that was right around the time I was getting into the band. So maybe that is part of it. Same with the guys who got into them when TJT came out, or Boy, and so on...

The tides are changing and they're entering a new era with a non-rock producer and they're past 50 and they have to match AB and ATYCLB in terms of change. Tough job, to say the least. But they either change or die, creatively.

I'm impressed they're even considering anyone not named Lillywhite, Eno and Lanois* on this one. This isn't Chris Thomas or Rick Rubin drifting apart from the band (that is, assuming Rubin was ever a serious choice and not a quickie producer for a few songs for the Best of). Danger Mouse is still on board, and still producing.

* the former should have produced Bomb on his own instead of army of producers, and the latter duo lost the magic after ATYCLB. Bomb >>>>>> ATYCLB but 9/11 saved that record.

Realistically the greatest rock bands don't have more than 3 or 4 classic albums/years. U2's had two classic albums and they don't have the kind of songwriters those bands had.

I think it's their weakest album, commenters suggesting it's their second most important album must have never heard of Boy or War The Unforgettable Fire or the Joshua Tree, but after all of these years I agree with your final point. Debating it again and again really is pointless.

Anything is possible, but I seriously doubt they would have. They toyed with the idea of releasing the rest of NLOTH because they would still be on tour. Once 360 was over, even if there was material ready, it was and/or is getting shelved until they are ready to tour again. Their road crew was given 2014 as the time frame to have their schedules open after 360. How many times has U2 released a full studio album of new material without a tour after it or still being on tour? (Passengers does not count to me as it is not technically U2). Never.

If you don't count the time they did it, they've never done it. ;)
Look, I didn't make this up. This almost released a new album in 2011. It was clear from the interviews. Whether a tour was part of the package, I have no idea.

I don't think most people that have issues with it actually hate ATYCLB or think it's an awful album. I think we just believe it's a cheese pizza. And a very good one at that. We just wanted a pepperoni pizza and thought U2 were beyond making ordinary cheese pizzas.

Disappointment in the creative direction, more than anything.

IT looks like we won't get something new before the end of the year. Even no remaster. The only thing to look forward to is the book and another bunch of livesongs.

What ATYCLB lacks in ingenuity it makes up for in heart.

I suppose, to some though, it's so inoffensive that it becomes offensive. The band isn't breaking any new ground with it, but it's still nice to listen to every once in a while.

Beautiful Day, Kite and When I Look At The World are fucking brilliant. New York is creative and interesting. Walk On is lukewarm on record but was beautiful on Elevation.

The saccharine, already dated production and lifeless performances drag everything else down. It's just not a very exciting album to listen to. The lyrics are a major step backwards from the revealing performance Bono put in for Pop.

I think New York is......aw I can't even find the energy anymore... This f$%#@king album is 12 years old already and there have only been two U2 albums since. How pathetic is that???? :(

Beautiful Day, Kite and When I Look At The World are fucking brilliant. New York is creative and interesting. Walk On is lukewarm on record but was beautiful on Elevation.

The saccharine, already dated production and lifeless performances drag everything else down. It's just not a very exciting album to listen to. The lyrics are a major step backwards from the revealing performance Bono put in for Pop.

This, apart from calling Beautiful Day "brilliant".

The whole sound of the album is so lethargic. Probably the one U2 album I have a true dislike for.

OpenG180 said:

U2 were the first band I became obsessed with, and before I even got into them I already knew and liked Beautiful Day, Stuck and the Tomb Raider mix of Elevation. ATYCLB was my second album after Boy. It's not groundbreaking or anything but I just really love most of the songs.

I think there must have been too much estrogen in the Dublin water when they recorded Attyclub. It's a very "girly" album (even by U2 standards). I remember during my first listen, I was waiting and waiting and waiting for the heavier tracks, and they never came. Someone above said it was "inoffensive to the point of being offensive". I'd say it was inoffensive to the point of being castrated.

If you don't count the time they did it, they've never done it. ;)
Look, I didn't make this up. This almost released a new album in 2011. It was clear from the interviews. Whether a tour was part of the package, I have no idea.

Honestly, knowing what I know of this band. I do not think they were that close to putting out a new album in 2011. U2 gets a lot of grand ideas and most of them never come to be but they love to talk about it, especially Bono obviously. That is why you have never seen a full studio album without a supporting tour or while they are on tour, ever. The way their business machine is set up right now and for the last 20 years does not allow for that. That could change down the road, but it wont until at a minimum the next tour has come and gone. It is a business after all and has been for quite some time and the current model has been planned since 360 re-started in 2010. An album in 2011 would have deviated somewhat from that and that is very un U2 like. :shrug: Not saying I like it, but it is how it is at the moment.

I think there must have been too much estrogen in the Dublin water when they recorded Attyclub. It's a very "girly" album (even by U2 standards). I remember during my first listen, I was waiting and waiting and waiting for the heavier tracks, and they never came. Someone above said it was "inoffensive to the point of being offensive". I'd say it was inoffensive to the point of being castrated.

This is exactly right. I remember Lanois saying they actually spent most of their time working on the heavier tracks, which did not make the album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom