Ten years ago today!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Popmartijn

Blue Crack Supplier
Hello,

Unfortunately I don't have much time today to write long posts, so I have to be brief. Today is a special day for me as I'm about to receive my university diploma (a real one, not one of those you can buy on the Internet :) ). But 10 years ago it was also a special day. It was the day of my first U2 concert!

In 1991 I became a fan when I bought Rattle & Hum (in September IIRC) and shortly after that Achtung Baby came out. Being 15/16 I didn't have that much opportunities to go to concerts so I missed out on the indoor leg. But when tickets went on sale for the Zooropa Tour, I made sure I was there.
So there I went on Sunday 9 May, together with my father (who isn't a big U2 fan but wanted to see the spectacle) and two of his colleagues (or sons of a colleague, can't remember). When we arrived the gates were already open so we were too late for the pit. But I did end up with a great spot just before the B-stage. Can anyone remember the spot where Bono goes into the audience during Until The End Of The World? I was about 3 meters to the side from there. Thus a great spot it was!
From the actual concert I unfortunately cannot remember very much. It was raining a lot that afternoon, but when U2 played it was dry. During the encore it started raining again. That night was the premiere of MacPhisto and him giving a speech is still in my memory (although my memory says to me everytime that he gave the speech first and only then launched into the encores, but I don't believe everything they say). It was a great experience that night!

C ya!

Marty

marty, thumbs up for getting your diploma! are you going to join the working masses now?

but, well, what a coincidence indeed; you reminded me that my first u2 concert was also exactly ten years ago today... whatdoyouknow

Flaming Friar Sr said:
marty, thumbs up for getting your diploma! are you going to join the working masses now?

Nah, I already became a working class hero (;)) a few years ago. It was just finishing my study (thesis) that took a little bit of time.

but, well, what a coincidence indeed; you reminded me that my first u2 concert was also exactly ten years ago today... whatdoyouknow

:wave:

Sorry I didn't wave at you 10 years ago. I could find you among the 50,000 other lucky ones. :)

As I said in my first post, there are a lot of things about that concert hidden deep, very deep in my memory. But it was such a mindblowing experience. I'd seen the TV special in November (still have it on video!), but even that didn't prepare me for what I was about to expect. It was such a huge setup. And the screens! Wow! :ohmy:

I do know, and I'm a bit hesitant to tell this, that during the B-stage section (so Angel Of Harlem, WLCTT, etc.) I behaved a bit too enthousiastic. As I said, I was right in front of that B-stage (maybe 3 rows or so away from it), so when they played there I started screaming to get their attention (you know, "EEEEEEEDDDDGGGGEEEE!!!!!" "BOOOONNNNNOOOOO!!!" and those kinds of sounds). As if they'd hear me with that massive volume of the music and 50,000 persons singing along. :) Ah, youthful naiveity (and maybe still youthful spelling). So at this moment I want to apologise to everyone who was standing around me at that moment and was annoyed by my screaming. Sorry about that, I know better now (although I did sing along with Bruce Springsteen last Thursday, but so did everyone else).
What a night! What a show!

C ya!

Marty

Back
Top Bottom