Stiff Little Fingers + U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kosull

The Fly
For Christmas this year I got my brother the album Inflammable Material by Stiff Little Fingers. On hearing it through myself I noticed the massive similarity between the riff on the track 'Johnny Was' and Edge's riff on 'Seconds'. Anyone know if this was brought up at the time of War's release or whether they've ever said anything about Stiff Little Fingers as an influence?

I know the guys have expressed their like of Stiff Little Fingers and I believe Bono may have said they were of some influence on U2, but I have not heard specifically about Seconds.

Johnny Was was frequently snippeted on the Elevation tour during Sunday Bloody Sunday.

SLF is a great live band. I've seen them twice.

Numbology said:
True.The riff is really similar,you can almost sing 'Seconds' to it.

Definitely. Dunno how they got away with it. I'd imagine it was picked up heavily by the music press when the album was released.

I remember Edge mentioning going to one of their gigs, and Adam once said that "Alternative Ulster" slowed down is like "With or Without You". Or WOWY speeded up is like "Alterntive Ulster".:wink: Either way.....

In their early days, U2 were guilty of ripping off practically everyone.

Im sure the riff at the start of alternative ulster has the same notes as Electric Co. Maybe one of you musos can tell me.
Jake Burns is a big U2 fan and has said he wants U2 to cover a SLF song.
SLF are one of the best live bands ever. Their shows in the early days at the Glasgow Apollo and now at the Glasgow Barras are legendary.

Back
Top Bottom